Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 03-23-2019, 06:23 PM

Default 6x47 improved ??

Anyone have info on this round? I picked up a rifle this weekend. Pevious owner thought it was a 6x45 ackley and was trying to fireform using 223 brass. He was having case head seperations after 2-3 firings. Rifle came with a set of Hornady custom dies with no stamping for caliber. I compared one of his formed cases to a 204 and found that if I trimmed the necks .035" shorter and necked up they will headspace in chamber. Slight resistance on closing. Loaded mild load and fireformed a couple. They keep the same shoulder angle but straighten the taper out.

Figured I would ask you guys to see if any had ever seen one. Wish I had a print for the reamer. It's a 22" 14 twist Lothar Walter barrrel. Built on CZ 527 American.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:54 PM

Was that not a cartridge founded by using the 222 Rem mag and setting back the shoulder some, and necking up or down into a couple of wildcats ? i.e. 22, 6mm & 6.5mm were some, I believe. Bill K
Old 03-23-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Was that not a cartridge founded by using the 222 Rem mag and setting back the shoulder some, and necking up or down into a couple of wildcats ? i.e. 22, 6mm & 6.5mm were some, I believe. Bill K
This is what led me to look at 204. I new some were using 204 in place of 222 mag. But when I had to trim .035" off the neck it made me question. The chamber is clean, it is just short necked. Haven't found any info on it.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:57 PM

The 6X47Rem is a 222Mag necked up to 6mm, no other changes. I have heard that some are making them with the 204 case, but have not done it myself. The 222Mag brass is getting hard to get and expensive. I have found the 6X47Rem to be very accurate and a super coyote killing cartridge, I have two!
Old 03-24-2019, 12:03 AM

Another person here with a couple 6x47 rifles.
I might have some 222 Mag brass I can spare, let me take a look.

Even better option:
https://www.grafs.com/catalog/category/categoryId/635

I might buy some extra at this price.

John

Last edited by Johnly; 03-24-2019 at 12:06 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
Another person here with a couple 6x47 rifles.
I might have some 222 Mag brass I can spare, let me take a look.

Even better option:
https://www.grafs.com/catalog/category/categoryId/635

I might buy some extra at this price.

John
That is a good price. Thanks!!
Old 03-24-2019, 12:08 PM

I made some 6x47 out of .204 Ruger cases and they were just a little shorter than the Remmy cases I had been using. No trimming needed. They worked just fine, same accuracy.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:55 PM

In the 90's I shot a 6x47 in benchrest. Nothing more than the 222 mag necked up to 6mm, mine had a 268 neck fwiw. Did a little better with the Berger 62 than with the Berger and Watson 68's, always thought a little speed was good. Federal made nickel brass in 6x47, and some folks used the longer RWS(?) brass shortened, the European brass was pretty nice stuff. Sako and lapua made brass as well I believe, but too poor to have any if I ever saw it.

I thought the case, 6x47 back then, was developed for a bit of an edge at 200 yds and yet let the shooter not suffer the effects of a full 308 in the 10 1/2 lb rifle. One would suspect that Walker and Stekl had some big input on this case.

At the time, the basic 6x47 on the 222 mag case was touched some by many, sharper shoulders, moving of the shoulder up and down the body etc etc. Red C. was known for wildcating the early BR and 222/222mag cases; he twas the first in their hall of fame as well.

The CZ rifle mentioned(BRNO in earlier times) is a relatively late coming, so the 6x47 reference in this thread could be anything really, time has the way of changing things. A chamber cast would help probably.

One has to make sure when trying to fit a case to an unknown chamber that what is stopping the case(resistance) is what you think it is. Sometimes the neck will feel like the shoulder and vice versa. Careful method which I know most do here, and smoking the case with a piece of burning masking tape for soot may show the critical marks of the day.

I always used the false shoulder method in my rifle to fireform new cases. 20 cases would last the benchrest competition year for me, but did not shoot as hot as some other guys.

Always thought the original 6x47 was a nice case, always thought too that it could shoot with the ppc's but when 90% shot ppc's was hard to overcome numbers(almost like probablility). Even then, a good shooter could prevail in that arena with the 6x47 on occasion...........still evolves down the to the shooter some...........
Old 03-25-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick w. View Post
In the 90's I shot a 6x47 in benchrest. Nothing more than the 222 mag necked up to 6mm, mine had a 268 neck fwiw. Did a little better with the Berger 62 than with the Berger and Watson 68's, always thought a little speed was good. Federal made nickel brass in 6x47, and some folks used the longer RWS(?) brass shortened, the European brass was pretty nice stuff. Sako and lapua made brass as well I believe, but too poor to have any if I ever saw it.

I thought the case, 6x47 back then, was developed for a bit of an edge at 200 yds and yet let the shooter not suffer the effects of a full 308 in the 10 1/2 lb rifle. One would suspect that Walker and Stekl had some big input on this case.

At the time, the basic 6x47 on the 222 mag case was touched some by many, sharper shoulders, moving of the shoulder up and down the body etc etc. Red C. was known for wildcating the early BR and 222/222mag cases; he twas the first in their hall of fame as well.

The CZ rifle mentioned(BRNO in earlier times) is a relatively late coming, so the 6x47 reference in this thread could be anything really, time has the way of changing things. A chamber cast would help probably.

One has to make sure when trying to fit a case to an unknown chamber that what is stopping the case(resistance) is what you think it is. Sometimes the neck will feel like the shoulder and vice versa. Careful method which I know most do here, and smoking the case with a piece of burning masking tape for soot may show the critical marks of the day.

I always used the false shoulder method in my rifle to fireform new cases. 20 cases would last the benchrest competition year for me, but did not shoot as hot as some other guys.

Always thought the original 6x47 was a nice case, always thought too that it could shoot with the ppc's but when 90% shot ppc's was hard to overcome numbers(almost like probablility). Even then, a good shooter could prevail in that arena with the 6x47 on occasion...........still evolves down the to the shooter some...........
I originally thought it was a 6x47 or 6x47 improved... Now I know it isn't either of these. Just going off what fireformed 204 brass measures. OAL length is 1.795". Shoulder dia. is increased to .365". Shoulder is moved forward and shoulder angle changes slightly. .272 necks. I've fired 10 cases 4 times now and only had to necksize brass. No shoulder bump yet. Not pushing them hard yet... 58 vmax at 3450.

I smoked the neck/shoulders on the 6mm/204 brass. If I didn't trim them back to 1.795 they were pinching empty necks down. The original brass I got with rifle measured the same also. Previous owner was using 223 brass and it wasn't working. I'm the third owner now. Don't have much to go on.

Guess I'll have to come up with a catchy name for it. lol
Old 05-26-2019, 03:02 AM

Been working up loads for this. Best loads are with 58 vmax over Ramshot xterminator. Running 3650 and grouping well. Should be a hammer on yotes.