Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-12-2019, 01:03 PM

A little different scenerio but I purchased almost 1000 pcs of "222" brass made into 20 VT along with a barrel from a guy off a different forum. All cases would chamber just fine until I actually seated a bullet in them. Then I got the dreaded "no bolt close". Upon carefully examining the cases there was the slightest little donut just below the base of the bullet and it was just enough to not allow the bolt to close. I run the cases through a full length 20 VT sizing die and have not had an issue with them since. Good Luck on finding out what the issue is. 221 FB brass is definitely the way to go for the 20 VT.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:48 PM

Default Size?

Did your gunsmith chamber a tight neck, you might need to turn necks. I used lc brass exclusively for my vt, but I measured the chamber neck, and turned accordingly.
good luck
Old 05-12-2019, 08:53 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I neck turned all the brass after forming so I don't think it's in the case neck.
I pulled the bullets and dumped the powder on 10 of the rounds that wouldn't chamber and ran the brass through my .223 small base die with the guts removed. The shell holder is contacting the die body so I can't get anymore of the brass into the die but none of the 10 would chamber after resizing. As most of you have stated, I think the problem is at the base of the brass that doesn't get size due to the shell holder contacting the die body. I may also have a tight chamber but all the .221 FB brass I've done in the past have been fine as is most of the brass stamped .223 rem. For now I'm going to pull the bullets and save the powder and put this brass off to the side for now-there's stuff to shoot out there now. I'll worry the brass later. Randy.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:04 PM

Is it possible to tell how much it lacks from seating completely?

I had that issue several years ago on 223 rounds. I took the shell holder to a belt sander and resized the rounds after removing bullets etc. The first try it was the same. Several tries later they all chambered.

After that issue, I changed my way of collecting brass and haven't had that issue any longer.

DL
Old 05-12-2019, 09:12 PM

No doubt automatic fire is tough on brass, but they think in one time todo's.

Over the years, I have found guessing about reloading parameters to be like treading water when overly tired. Seeing is believing part of the time.

One might consider taking a case that has gone thru your updates(small base, all the way up), taking a marking medium like black magic marker or just using a candle; smoke, and cover the whole case in black soot. Take said marked case and carefully insert the case into the firearm's chamber and breech it up. Try not to hit the sides of anything with the case on the way in, to minimize false indications.

A case not going in could be too long, shoulder too far ahead, or body is bulged at some point. Have to remember tis pretty much a wildcat, and two wildcats might not be real similar even with the same name. Add to those variables, bad or beat brass, things get funky.

If indeed, the issue is with the overly large base(a precision mic is invaluable for beginning references), then one might expect a bright ring at that position on the case due to constriction between the case and chamber proper.

If, and dreaming along here, if the shoulder is the culprit, then a shim at the top of the shellholder and between shellholder and case base, will force the case further into the die. Do remember to pull the decapper etc out first, or it can be curtains for it. I think I would try this non invasive method before I cut on shellholders or bottoms of dies; just to prove the point sorta speak.

Finally, I hear of push thru dies, much like the dies used to attempt to save some types of pistol ammo in certain handgun types, much like a bullet swage die. Everyone probably has their own thoughts on such things, is it safe? is it worth it? Folks have to think for themselves really, the buck stops there.

High volume shooters of this wildcat probably are more sensitive to relative brass costs..........to the guy like me that only shoots 20 rounds per year, who cares about 50 cent brass?.........but everyone has their own working environment on such things.

Last edited by rick w.; 05-12-2019 at 09:16 PM.