Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 03-25-2008, 11:16 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Didn't get much done over the weekend.
But, Monday I did stop at a machine shop and talked to the owner I've known for yrs about threading the ID of this tube. Said to bring it in, we can do it. Thinks he might even have some all thread the right size after it's threaded. That would be nice n easy.

Picked up a 4ft hunk of 1 1/4" rod today too. So I've got plenty to turn a ram out of now. IF it cleans up before getting too small for the bore. We'll see.

Take care, thanks, (ps to GW: once more, trk engine/cracked head #3!!!!!)

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 03-25-2008, 06:45 PM

Yep. Heated lead extrudes a lot "easier" than cold. I used to work for a wire and cable maker that extruded a lead casing around the jacketed electrical cable assembly as a moisture barrier during the vulcanizing process. We would go through several tons of lead every day. Then after the wire jacket was cured, we'd strip the lead off remelt and use it again. We had 3 huge screw drive continuous extruders that would put a 1/4" thick case around a 4" dia cable at several feet per minute. The trick was that if the lead was too hot, the screw would just churn, too cold and the amperage in the drive motor went too high, so we had to cool the lead (with a steam water mix) in the extruder screw at a constant rate that would balance the two conditions. One days production through an extruder of this sort would make over 60,000 lbs of whatever size wire you wanted - that would last a week of three I'd bet. It would not surprize me that a "small" 10hp unit could be built if someone could justify the expense of the tapered extrusion screw and heat/cool tapered barrel. Well that and the rather large thrust bearing behind the screw (Ours were 1500cm in diameter).
Old 03-27-2008, 09:53 AM

1500CM?? how big is that???

Ok, am on the way with the wire making die now.
Took the heavy walled tubing to the shop for ID threading and to get a foot of all thread to match. "not over about ten bucks a ft, and $30/half hour for the bore."

Also, picked up 5 feet of 3/4"x3" flat bar and 6' of 1 1/4" round for the asking.
Turned 8" pc of round to fit the bore real nice. Went to get my jack out of the shop truck and all my jacks are gone, lock on the box was broken too. Can't believe a person can't even leave old junk hyd jacks in the truck boxes without it being stolen. What's this world coming to??

it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 03-28-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeld View Post
1500CM?? how big is that???
Bigger than I intended to type, that's for sure. I meant 150cm or 1500mm - right at 5' in diameter.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:56 AM

That's what I thought you might have meant.

Ok, here's an update on my lead wire press. AND A request for some help in materials.

Picked up the barrel: 2" OD, 1 1/4" ID x8" with one end threaded 1.5" deep to 1 1/2" x 12thd.

Had him mill a groove in the side of two flat bars: 3/4"x 3" x 12", stopped 3/4" short of the top edge to hold the barrel in place as a stop.
This machining I couldn't do with the tooling I have cost me $50. Double what I expected but, for a good cause/investment I think.
All the steel was n/c.

Drilled a 3/4" hole on each side of the groove to clamp the barrel in place. Yet can be taken out for any reasons that come up later.
Cut legs from 1/4"x2"sq tubing to fit these bars. Have the iron, but, haven't decided for sure what I want to use for the bottom under the jack. Should have a way to hold it in place so may use plate with clips welded to it, or bolt clamps maybe.

The only reason it's not working now is: I need the all thread yet. Does anyone have some pieces of: 1 1/2" x 12thd?? All I need is 2" long pcs, could use any number of them, before it's done I'd like to have a dozen pieces. As these will be my dies drilled for the lead wire hole's. I'd be glad to pay expenses to get some of this all thread.

Ordered a 2ft section from Grainger the 3rd. Today, couldn't find the local number, only Denvers 800. They didn't find where I'd ordered it. Drove across town to the store and the incompetant on the counter couldn't either. I got p'd and told him to forget it, I'd buy it somewhere else.

Called MSC: "can't sell it except COD, or credit card. Both doubled the cost. Don't find it that big at Wholesale tool, sent an e'mail asking and ordered more tooling for the lathe that I need.

Fastenal wants $80 for two ft pc, they'll have it Tuesday. Man that's expensive. Don't think I'll do that. Local machine shop has a foot of it for $27. May go that way, but, still mighty expensive material. Don't know for sure if that's the only piece he has, or if there might be some shorts too. May drop in tomorrow and see. Thinking of offering $20 for it.

Update when there's more. So far, it's looking real good.

it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 09-25-2008, 02:01 AM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to larryinIA
Default george

I had been thinking of this thread, and while searching something else up, I found it. Do you have an update? Any pics? The curiosity is, and has been killing me. Thanks,

larry

American King James Version
Let his days be few; and let another take his office
Old 09-25-2008, 09:37 PM

Hi Larry, didn't take any pictures yet but if you go to Corbins web sit he has some good pictured of the type he sells. The extruder I made is coppied after the one he sells and it works great with the hydrolic press. One thing I see is every one is trying to press really large peace of lead. These only use .750 by about 6 or 7 inch round inguts. I get a chunk of .312 lead wire about 30 inches long from my extruder.There nice and easy to work with, we store them in 6 inch pvc tubes so the stay nice and straight.
Rocky Mountain Bullets,LLC
George
Old 09-26-2008, 01:15 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to larryinIA
Default Thanks George

I'll check them out. The curiosity sometimes drives me nuts!

larry

American King James Version
Let his days be few; and let another take his office