Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 01-12-2013, 12:50 AM
Supporting Member

what caliber are you looking for? george
Old 01-12-2013, 07:20 AM

I have 17 and 22 so just about anything else. Not much into pistols though. Im going to try and make a set, if it works out I should be set.

Bob
Old 01-12-2013, 02:50 PM

Unless your dies are defective (poor quality steel, or carbide), antimony/tin alloy cores won't harm your dies. I use wire of, up to 3% antimony and 1% tin, using both Niemi and Ulrich dies - I do this regularly. So, I agree with George (see his posts). Also, using 3/4 to 1% antimony will greatly reduce 'cored' jackets sticking on the core-seat punch, and make very uniform finished dimensions. In my opinion, for precision bullet making, "pure" (corroding grade) lead wire is the poorest choice, 1/2% is better, and, up to 1% is better still. RG
Old 01-12-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBULLETS View Post
They are only a tiny bit harder and cores made from the .5% seems to flow just a bit smoother to me. Most guys making BR bullets use the .5% I think.

I would think that the 3 and 5% are for heavier game bullets since they will be harder and slow down bullet expansion.
That's correct. The harder cores are in game bullets to attempt to control expansion.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerBob View Post
Thank all of you for your posts, it seems to me that I might as well keep to pure lead. I'm not trying to make anything out of the ordinary I just want to make the best bullets possible with the equipment I have. So I think for the safety of my dies pure lead is the way to go for me. I have been looking for other old style SAS dies that would fit my press with no luck so far. So I had better take care of the dies I have.

I have found that I enjoy this hobby way to much to mess things up now. I just wish I had tried this years ago.

Bob
Bob, as some of the others guy have said you won't harm your dies with alloyed lead. You will be able to make a much better quality bullets using a harder lead than pure.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:38 AM

Default 1/2% Antimony Cores

Low antimony lead cores are what Berger uses to make their 22/6 BR bullets, not sure what % antimony they use for their other bullets they make. When I started making bullets back in 1995 I bought wire from Eric Stecker. I asked him what was correct wire to make BR bullets with J4 jackets. He sold me a couple 25# spools of 1/2 % antimony wire. When I bought 200# of wire from Lester Bruno he also recommended 1/2% antimony stating that's what he uses. Gary Ocock,Don Gentner, Allen Bench, and Lowell Frei all recommended 1/2% antimony wire for making 22/6 Bullets using J4 jackets. All these names are well known in the shooting and bullet making World.

Glad to hear from Al Nyhus, George Ulrich, J. Valentine, Randy Robinett, and others about using higher antimony lead wire. On Small Caliber new bullet makers need to hear both sides of using low antimony and higher antimony wire. Al and the others need to give more reasons for using higher antimony wire. Also there needs a few that make small caliber bullets less than 22 how do their operation. Bullet makers are a small but very knowledgeable group willing to share their knowledge.

Stephen Perry

Last edited by stephen perry 1; 01-13-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:27 AM

Well I think I'm going to mix up a batch of 1/2% and give it a shot so to speak. I just made up the punch and die to make 30gr. bullets for my 17's out of 22 long rifle cases. Its just my luck to get into this right when Berger discontinued a lot of there jackets. So if figure if I cant buy them I will make them. I have shot some of my lighter 22lr jackets up to 4000 fps with no problems...so far.

Thank all of you for your input.
Bob
Old 01-13-2013, 03:44 PM
Supporting Member

[World.

Glad to hear from Al Nyhus, George Ulrich, J. Valentine, Randy Robinett, and others about using higher antimony lead wire. On Small Caliber new bullet makers need to hear both sides of using low antimony and higher antimony wire. Al and the others need to give more reasons for using higher antimony wire. Also there needs a few that make small caliber bullets less than 22 how do their operation. Bullet makers are a small but very knowledgeable group willing to share their knowledge.

Stephen Perry[/quote]

Less bullet deforming in barrel at least with fb.many years ago when I started br shooting geza nagy was trying all kinds of experiments one we did was bullet deforming in barrels.his test was to shoot all different makes and styles ;fb,bt; and I measured differences after they were shot.bottom line was all fb expanded to groove dia. of barrels they were shot in but the bt's were all slightly smaller in dia. so later after wondering why I tried a little different spin on this and cut a barrel off just at chamber end.i was friends with local police chief and being a larger metro. area they had a great ballistics lab.shot and caught bullets in there tank.funny the fb base all deformed kinda like a mushroom on base then they would swage down as they passed through throat area.the bt. showed no deforming at all.so went to harder cores this minimized fb deforming.never looked back since then my preference is 1% on 22-6's I don't make so many 30's but I would increase if I did.also can't recall who tested with large %'s of tin or the amount but they basically matched the specific gravity of jacket mat. which takes all jacket tir out of the picture.also the other great thing about tin is it adheres mechanically to copper so if your concerned about core shift they won't. sorry for the length of this hope someone can get some use from it. george

Last edited by george ulrich; 01-13-2013 at 03:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-14-2013, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george ulrich View Post
[World.

Stephen Perry
Less bullet deforming in barrel at least with fb.many years ago when I started br shooting geza nagy was trying all kinds of experiments one we did was bullet deforming in barrels.his test was to shoot all different makes and styles ;fb,bt; and I measured differences after they were shot.bottom line was all fb expanded to groove dia. of barrels they were shot in but the bt's were all slightly smaller in dia. so later after wondering why I tried a little different spin on this and cut a barrel off just at chamber end.i was friends with local police chief and being a larger metro. area they had a great ballistics lab.shot and caught bullets in there tank.funny the fb base all deformed kinda like a mushroom on base then they would swage down as they passed through throat area.the bt. showed no deforming at all.so went to harder cores this minimized fb deforming.never looked back since then my preference is 1% on 22-6's I don't make so many 30's but I would increase if I did.also can't recall who tested with large %'s of tin or the amount but they basically matched the specific gravity of jacket mat. which takes all jacket tir out of the picture.also the other great thing about tin is it adheres mechanically to copper so if your concerned about core shift they won't. sorry for the length of this hope someone can get some use from it. george[/quote]

George, how'd ya get so smart? I bet it wasn't from just doin' stuff, "the way it's always beenn done!" Whatayagunnado - give away ALL of the secrets?!!? RG
Old 02-03-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerBob View Post
Thank all of you for your posts, it seems to me that I might as well keep to pure lead. I'm not trying to make anything out of the ordinary I just want to make the best bullets possible with the equipment I have. So I think for the safety of my dies pure lead is the way to go for me. I have been looking for other old style SAS dies that would fit my press with no luck so far. So I had better take care of the dies I have.

I have found that I enjoy this hobby way to much to mess things up now. I just wish I had tried this years ago.

Bob
I have one of those old SAS preses myself and it has an open top design . It is not as strong as even the later Corbin Silver press either the top strap model or the gold metal job of which I have both .
In small bullets like 17 you will be able to use 1 % or even more I should think but as the bullet diameter rises it gets more risky in an old press and dies . If you were using a Walnut Hill or Corbin Csp1 press then it's a different story.