Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 03-31-2013, 08:47 PM

Default Bullet Making Lube

New bullet makers will benefit by a discussion on what lube some use on jackets. When I started I listened to others on lube. Interesting, I tried a few. I tried castor bean oil plain then mixed with vaseline. OK, but a little messy. I read what Mike Walker used. He recommended hydrous lanolin rolled in a cloth. Couldn't find hydrous lanolin so I bought anhydrous lanoline. Despite what Walker said against the anhydrous it works fine for me.

I mix mine 3 parts lanolin 1 part vaseline.

I use a gallon Mason jar weigh my lube and shake and roll my jar about 600 jackets a time. No matter how you lube your jackets the final measurement on the bullet shank and pressure ring is what's important.The least amount of lube is best.

Never tried these but I don't see why RCBS case lube and Imperial Sizing Die Wax, both should cut with vaseline. Like to hear from others on their technque on jacket lube.

Stephen Perry

Last edited by stephen perry 1; 04-13-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:47 PM
Supporting Member

Stephen, I use hydrous lanolin or I have tied about everything at one time or another 3-1 for anhydrous sounds about right but I'm going from a bad memory.some other concoction's are 8-1 lanolin to lard oil about the same to caster oil . I prefer my lube alittle thicker and not quite as runny as others. even straight stp works real good except its alittle messy.haven't found any real magic in lube so I tend to try to keep it simple.I totally agree the least you can get away with is the best scenario for consistency.the one thing I do alittle different is I lube twice, first on carbide I lube .5 grs per k to core seat then add another .5-1 gr and retumble to refresh then point up. I warm jar with a hair drier to loosen lube and assist migrating of lube during tumbling. hope this helps as always george
Old 04-01-2013, 03:02 AM

I use a lube that Don Rorschach gave me many years ago. It is a stinking, sticky, orange something or other that I have no clue what it is, but it works well. I suspect it's some sort of high pressure grease. It doesn't take much to do the job. When I do .705 length .22 jackets I use 1.8 grains per bucket of 2600 jackets. George, our mutual friend in St. Clair gave me a BIG tub of the lube about 10 years ago and I have enough to last 2 lifetimes. Tim
Old 04-01-2013, 03:19 AM

Default Anhydrous Lanolin

BP
The lube Rorschach gave you is most likely Anhydrous Lanolin. The stringy, orange color, sticky are the charachteristics of the stuff. If you want something different try 3 parts lanolin 1 part vasoline. Otherwise continue with what you do.

Stephen Perry
Old 04-01-2013, 12:36 PM

I don't think it's anhydrous lanolin. I have some anhydrous and have tried it in the past. The lube that Don gave me is nothing like it. It is much more viscous and judging by the odor, I am pretty sure it petroleum based.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:44 PM

I use 50/50 castor oil and anhydros lanolin.

Neal in AZ
Old 04-02-2013, 12:00 AM
Supporting Member

Will straight Imperial Die Wax work ??
Old 04-02-2013, 12:59 AM

Default RR

I haven't tried Imperial but I mentioned it because it has the same consistency as the lanolin/vaseline I use.

Stephen Perry
Old 04-02-2013, 01:09 AM

Default BP

In The Benchrest Shooting Primer Rorschach describes his lube as anhydrous lanolins with RCBS case lube. What Don gave you might be something different but that's what he said. Lube for bullet making has no magic formula. I have found most every bullet maker I know has a different formula. Anhydrous lanoline with an additive is very popular.

Stephen Perry
Old 04-06-2013, 02:53 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrock ranger View Post
Will straight Imperial Die Wax work ??
I have not tried it and wouldn't on steel dies its not really an extreme pressure lube,but I have used the sizing lube from sharp shooters supply,its really slick a little to the stiff side but warming cures that. george