Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 11-28-2007, 03:23 PM

Default Wanting to give it a try

Hello,

Could someone give me a ballpark figure of what it cost to get started in making bullets?
I’m a Bench rest shooter and would be interested in trying my hand at this. I’m not talking about the most expensive stuff on the market but a good core setup I can learn on and upgrade a piece or two at a time as my needs see fit.

Thanks..
Jon
Old 11-28-2007, 03:53 PM

Default Grab your calculator...

Look, the two HUGE names in the bullet making business are Dave Corbin [corbins.com] and his brother Richard Corbin [rceco.com]. If you visit the web sites, you can about figure out for yourself what you want to spend on.

Richard is making a set of dies for use in a heavy duty reloading press that will do .224 or 6mm's for $175 each(plus shipping, of course). Lube, lanolin, you can buy at the drug store. As is usually the case if you buy the small container, you pay ALOT, and if you get a much larger container... And 1 lb. will last a long time, unless you shoot full auto... (ha, ha)... \

Jackets... brunoshooters.com has j-4s as dependably and as reasonable as anyone I know of. Sierra sells jackets when they feel like it. [sierrabullets.com].

Mr. Blackmon of Louisiana does not have a web site. I know he is usually in the directory in the Gun Digest Annual in the back. Dies, some jackets. You have to ask. The Nemmi's are harder to find. They convert heavy presses to use their dies. Sports Flite is out of business. Hollywood does pistol bullets, mainly. And now ebay had eliminated "bullet related" goods... you can forget them...

So if you have a Rockchucker already or equivelent, you might be looking at $225.00 to start with one, .224 or 6mm, caliber. If you want to go with the bells and whistles... R. Corbin has a press, I think it is $225, the little one. He has bigger. Look for yourself. Dave has about the same too. And dies for this press... flat based bullet? Boat tail? Like I said, use the calculator. Enjoy.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:56 AM

Default to get started.

I got my outfit from Bill and Brian Niemi (Niemi Engineering) a few years back, soup to nuts ready to go with the exception of jackets and lead. The number that I have for them is (802)533-7180. They make carbide dies and supply a fair number of the noted benchrest bullet makers with their dies.

George Ulrich that has posted here also makes dies and equipment, do a search.

Larry Blackmon makes some good dies as well and is what I'd choose if you want to get a set of steel dies at a cheaper cost. You will not wear out these dies if you are making the bullets for just yourself and a few friends even. I've shot a fair number of 6mm bullets (Bob Green made) from a set of Blackmon dies and they were very good bullets.

These are the ones that I'm most familiar with and comfortable with. I have a press on order from George Ulrich and look forward to using it to seat cores.

Cost: 3,000+ to get started for a new set-up with dies and presses and some other related equipment. You might call Bob White at the Shooter's Corner to see if he has any used equipment for sale. You can also watch the classifieds on benchrest central for used equipment.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:26 PM

Thanks guys,
I’m going to give Larry Blackmon a call.
Jon..
Old 11-29-2007, 08:35 PM
Supporting Member

you might want to look around a little there are always bargains that come up if you dont mind used. but i would want to try before i would buy if you have someone close that already makes bullets have them try for you i would not buy a die set that they would not let me try first there is quite a few that people have tried to relap or scored the insides and have ruined in the end. george
Old 11-30-2007, 02:32 AM
Supporting Member

I started making 20 caliber bullets in 2000.

At the time I spent just a hair over $1500 and that included a Corbin press, dies for making both HP and lead tipped bullets, 1000 .224" jackets, 20# of lead wire, bullet lube, and a lead wire core cutter.

Not sure what inflation has done to the price as I haven't looked lately...

HTH - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine