Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-03-2019, 05:13 AM
Supporting Member

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Mag-Centerfire

Gary some mighty smart fellas here, have a look at this link what a farmer made in his shed, i'm sure someone could make this it would be great if something could be adapted to a case trimmer or similar

Johno
Old 05-03-2019, 11:52 AM
Supporting Member

I looked at the link and it appears they swage down the brass similar to Schroeder only I didn’t read it closely enough to see if they swage it down to recenter the brass body with the flash-hole?

There has been no doubt in my mind that the brass could not be made. I have worked with this kind of stuff and while I am not a machinist, I could probably make it myself (although I’d have to consider the flash hole alignment process.

The things I’m mostly concerned with is ending up with brass that is reasonably priced. The time involved for me is a price that I’m will to pay and would go back to RF if I ever got low on brass (unlikely at this point but I would buy more CCM and 5mmM brass if it was reasonably priced).

The other thing is ending up with the same quality of brass. I’m not sure how Schroeder does it but I have many many firings on his cases with no annealing. Not sure if he used many small steps or if it doesn’t matter? The only cases I have loss have been self induced... I can not say the same thing for the original hornet brass... makes a guy wonder lol

Anyhow I will continue to pray for steve’s health. Not for my selfish reasons of wanting more brass that I really don’t need and can live without but for the relief of anymore suffering/hardships than he’s already gone through. And God willing to live out the rest of his dreams amen
Old 05-03-2019, 10:35 PM
Supporting Member

Take the time and read what the man did, after forming he's making the 5mm brass in one operation, turning off the doughnut, reducing the rim thickness and diameter, look at his finished cases how good they are.

This is probably similar to what Schroeder does, being down under getting replacement cases is not easy this is why i'm looking at this

Johno
Old 05-04-2019, 12:01 AM
Supporting Member

Makes good sense! And if it wouldn’t be for being in bad health, I’d look into it just because I like to fiddle (I can’t stand bent over a lathe and mill anymore). But today I’ll gladly pay Schroeder if he can still produce the same quality product at a fair price. It’d be a lot cheaper than me buying a mill and tooling lol

I’ll be busy through Saturday night but maybe Sunday I’ll have more time to digest what he is doing. It all looked very good to me from the skim-over. I’d be interested if he realigns/recenters the flash holes. I can’t remember what he said with what brass he prefers to work with.

Schroeder preferred Rem brass over all others. As luck would have it I am loaded with WW and PRVI and no new RP. Schroeder also said PRVI is makingall of someone else’s brass but I forget if it was Winchester or Remington now...
Old 05-04-2019, 02:48 AM

Thanks for the update on steve. I won't call and bug him any. If anyone sees of any brass for sale then please let me know. I would feel a lot better with a couple of hundred more
Old 05-11-2019, 02:20 PM

Is the current brass reworked from another case or is it made from scratch? I've got a CNC lathe and wondering if I could do some experimenting with my 591 that is sitting ammo-less.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:18 PM
Supporting Member

Made from hornet brass, look at the link to cast bullets I posted and it will give you an idea what you could, when you get it sorted let me know and I will place an order

Johno
Old 05-31-2019, 01:40 AM
Supporting Member

My Schroeder brass arrived and like BCB said way back its very inconsistent, in fact its bad i'm concerned about head space. This goes to both rim thickness and diameter

Johno
Old 05-31-2019, 08:07 PM
Banned

It's crap!!!!! That's what it is! My brass was 100 times better!!!!!
Old 05-31-2019, 09:35 PM
Supporting Member

Smile

Fat cat, I agree 100% you certainly had some beautiful and some nice built brass...

I can’t remember did you ever come up with the cost of what it would cost for 100 rounds of your brass? Reason I ask is somewhere you have to draw line between how good something Hass to be and if you throw enough time (which is actually money) at most things you can make them better.

I don’t have to defend shoulders brass for any reason because it’s already proven itself. I owned 800 pieces a Schroeder brass one time for a 17 CCM and another 400 for a 22 CCM. I forget offhand but I think the 5 mm mag I purchased around 400-500 for it also. And anyone that knows me knows that I get all I can have a cartridge run and things right up to the maximum safe limit.

Fact number one shoulders grass does look like crap

Fact number two is the crappy looking brass has never caused an issue that I’m aware of.

Fact number three is that shoulder claims by sending the case up in the center of the primer pocket little produce better accuracy, I can only assume that’s true but the fact he has a shop very very good for me.

And the last fact that I know of with Schroeder brass is that it was very expensive to me at the time trying to raise a large family. But understanding that there is a process that I would not be willing to go through to make brass that cheap lol

Guys like you that know their metal and have the skills necessary to do this kind of work are good are very rare now a days. And I have great value and appreciation for that

Understand everybody that I’m not claiming fat cat is wrong in his statement about crappy brass and his being 100 times better which I don’t know how you guy could prove that statement. I’m only stating what I have experienced with both. And if I had the opportunity to buy fatcats brass at Schroders price or less that I would do sell in a heartbeat. I’ve only had one piece of fat cats brass to experiment with and it did well

Last edited by GLWenzl; 05-31-2019 at 09:40 PM.