Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-20-2021, 12:34 PM

Default Case Forming on Newer Designed Presses

Looking for input/feedback on case forming using some of the newer designed presses. I am using my old faithful Rockchucker, but was thinking about maybe something like a MEC Marksman.

There isn't a reloading/case prep exercise more demanding on a press than forming cases. How much play/wear does it introduce to the press that might negatively impact accuracy/repeatability of the press for normal reloading purposes?

Anyone try case forming on a Area 419 Zero press?
Old 12-20-2021, 02:25 PM
Supporting Member

Default Press

The Lee cast classic press will get the job done. It is used by a bullet maker to make jacketed bullets. Claim is it is the straightest he's seen.Reasonable price the last time i checked.
Old 12-20-2021, 02:47 PM
Supporting Member

After using a Corbin S press (CSP-1 press) for making jacketed bullets, I can't imagine using a standard reloading press for that task.

That said, I've never had a problem with an RCBS Rockchucker press used for both case forming and for cartridge reloading purposes. An indicator of the press straightness is cartridge case or bullet run-out. If the press ram isn't straight, neither will be the cartridges loaded. Granted, dies can cause excessive run-out, but the problem would be isolated to a specific set of dies, most likely, if the press is straight.

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 12-20-2021 at 10:07 PM. Reason: wording added and spelling............
Old 12-20-2021, 03:09 PM

I buy older 1970-1980s Rockchuckers in like new condition when ever I run across them, A lot cheaper than new, When they get loose I use them for dirty work and then scrap them, I have been lately wanting a new press with the primer catch tube you know save a step or in my case save my knees and back from having to find the escapees, so I tried some of the latest fancy presses what junk they are making today As I watch the ram twist or run out at the end of the stroke what a let down. Those I sell to some newbie who thinks old stuff is not safe for modern cartridges.....
Old 12-20-2021, 03:13 PM

Maybe I am missing the point of your question. But thousands have been forming brass and doing just fine, with final fire forming into their chambers, for years, with a press like the RCBS Rock Chucker.
And many other brands, from well knows press makers. The new ones, coming out might be better, you don't know until you compare them.

I and others have also formed thousands of bullets on the old Rock chucker and still do. If you are making your own bullets.
Enjoy our sport and play safe
Old 12-20-2021, 05:10 PM

I've got an old RCBS A2 that seems to get the job done..........
Old 12-20-2021, 06:16 PM
Supporting Member

I would think any of the cast iron/steel presses would do a good job for a very long time with reasonable maintenance. And yes, Randy Robinett of BIB bullets does use Lee Classic Cast presses along with some other classic bullet making presses to make his bullets, some of the best from anywhere. I bought a Lee Classic Cast on his recommendation and have been very pleased with it for loading my larger cartridges and forming brass, and I love the thru-the-ram primer catcher.
Old 12-21-2021, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Maybe I am missing the point of your question. But thousands have been forming brass and doing just fine, with final fire forming into their chambers, for years, with a press like the RCBS Rock Chucker.
And many other brands, from well knows press makers. The new ones, coming out might be better, you don't know until you compare them.

I and others have also formed thousands of bullets on the old Rock chucker and still do. If you are making your own bullets.
Enjoy our sport and play safe
Bill,

Happy Holidays!

Absolutely no complaints on my Rockchucker... it has been a reliable workhorse for everything! I bought a second press, MEC Marksman, to use for normal reloading / case prep. The Rockchucker has become my dedicated "dirty" press for decapping as well as heavy-duty case forming.

I haven't tried to do any serious case forming on the MEC Marksman. It is a very smooth press, and thought that I would ask the question before making a mistake and introduce unnecessary slop.

I guess people with a Co-Axial probably have similar internal contemplation of whether or not to use it for serious case forming, or use a different press and not risk chance of causing any issues to their reloads.
Old 12-21-2021, 01:12 PM

I have one of the early aluminum frame Hornady progressive presses that I bought for parts. I use it like a turret press when forming brass. I can put about all the dies one would need to form brass. I do one at a time. It was a huge time saver when I was shooting pretty much nothing but wildcats.

I have a couple of Rock Chuckers, one is a 1971 and the other I would say is a late 80’s or early 90’s. Years ago I had some issues with a cartridge I was working with. I had tried everything and came to the conclusion the RC was at fault. I sent it back and they replaced the ram, there was a note that the old one was with in tolerances.

Forward a number of years and I was happy to make the acquaintance of Bruce Merkur from Redding. We had some good visits, cleaning dies and presses is as important if not more so than your firearms. There is a lot more going on inside a die than most dream of.

Keep them clean and lubed and they will last a lifetime and more.
Old 12-21-2021, 02:04 PM
Supporting Member

Default Lee cast press

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
I would think any of the cast iron/steel presses would do a good job for a very long time with reasonable maintenance. And yes, Randy Robinett of BIB bullets does use Lee Classic Cast presses along with some other classic bullet making presses to make his bullets, some of the best from anywhere. I bought a Lee Classic Cast on his recommendation and have been very pleased with it for loading my larger cartridges and forming brass, and I love the thru-the-ram primer catcher.
Thanks for the verification on the Lee. Most look down on the company. Some things are to well made.

Had a RCE Walnut Hill press it was a animal for making bullets.