Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 01-16-2022, 02:26 PM

Default Vickerman In Line Seater Die Shellholder Question

I have been using Vickerman seating dies for years. Started with the small calibers 17 & 20 but now use them for just about everything. My question concerns the shellholders. I have a list that I printed out telling which shellholder works for what cartridge that I am sure I got from Vickerman website. It start with #11 and goes to #59. This is also true of the current offering of shellholders on website now. Link: https://www.vickermandie.com/products/
My question is what does shellholders #1 through #10 fit? I know they exist or have existed because I own #1,#3,#4 & #6. Does anybody have a lisst of cartridges for these shellholders 1-10 or link to one? I have already ask the maker but no respponse yet

Thanks in advance
Doug

Last edited by tred1956; 01-16-2022 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-26-2022, 11:54 AM

Have you tried emailing or calling them and asking? I emailed them for you. I'll post the answer when I get it

Last edited by SrChief; 04-26-2022 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-26-2022, 12:42 PM

Lately every photo I post has been rotated 90 degrees to Starboard. Is there something I can do to correct this issue?

Last edited by JDHasty; 04-26-2022 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-26-2022, 03:27 PM

What you will also find is that there were various length shell holders available in at least some of these sizes. IIRC that was something that was done to accommodate presses that do not have the long travel that most contemporary presses have enjoyed for some time now.

I copied and printed this and have it taped inside the lid of my organizer.

I can't remember off the top of my head if #8-10 exist or not. I'll try and look tonight to see if I have any that are so marked. I'm pretty sure I have one for a 45 ACP and another for belted magnums at home.

The #3 is not that easy to find, I gave one I had to a guy who has a rifle in R2 Lovell and another that has a .170 Landis Woodsman. No big deal though, Dayton Machine Shop should be able to make one up if a guy needs one.

The picture is from the pages of my Handloaders Digest 1962 1st Edition John T. Amber. I find the 1962 1st Edition & Handloaders Digest 1972 6th Edition 1972 to be great resources.

Last edited by JDHasty; 04-26-2022 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-19-2022, 02:55 AM

I did email NO reply Thanks for the picture
Doug
Old 05-20-2022, 05:06 AM

Sometimes they get right back to me, sometimes not so much. They are a full service machine shop in a farming community and are real busy. Items I have ordered are always delivered promptly.

My buddy almost bought the rights and machinery from Winn Vickerman. Vickerman was making them on a screw machine and had sold it when he got there. This was before the days of affordable CNC.

The original dies were sold at gun shows and mail order and were quite popular around here with varmint shooters. They were made in Ellensburg and later in Moses Lake Washington.

When they were not being produced the prices got pretty high. I love them and turned down some pretty attractive offers.

I bought one of the new micrometer ones they are making in Dayton and will be buying another in 17 cal. To the best of my knowledge Winn Vickerman never made the original in 17 & 20

I have five or six of them and a dozen or so shell holders.
Old 05-20-2022, 02:26 PM
Supporting Member

I've never seen a 17 or 20 inserts made by the original group but back in the early 70's they made me a custom insert for a cast bullet I was shooting. The great part they only billed me the standard price. I wouldn't be surprised if they made custom 17 and 20 inserts if asked.