Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-26-2022, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
And, to muddy the water even further and make it a more difficult choice, aesthetically speaking, you sit a 20-222 next to the 20-222 with 40° shoulder, forget about it, the one with the 40° shoulder is just a hot looking little case and wins the beauty and cool factor contest all day long.
With exception B23, that the improved shoulder does not need trimming as often as the standard, like most all improved cartridges do.
And the 100 FPS, average, increase in velocity, is in the eye of the beholder, if they want it.
It just depends on what you want and like. Some like the improved case, some don't bother with it.
I have both, but do like and enjoy the improved shoulder design on more than one rifle I have, in various calibers. [/quote]
Billk 100% correct.
Old 07-27-2022, 12:26 AM

Quote:
And, to muddy the water even further and make it a more difficult choice, aesthetically speaking, you sit a 20-222 next to the 20-222 with 40° shoulder, forget about it, the one with the 40° shoulder is just a hot looking little case and wins the beauty and cool factor contest all day long.
With exception B23, that the improved shoulder does not need trimming as often as the standard, like most all improved cartridges do.
And the 100 FPS, average, increase in velocity, is in the eye of the beholder, if they want it.
It just depends on what you want and like. Some like the improved case, some don't bother with it.
I have both, but do like and enjoy the improved shoulder design on more than one rifle I have, in various calibers. [/quote]

I agree to a point and but I just haven't ever noticed a lot of difference in the amount of trimming required with any of my wildcat cartridges that have 35° and 40° shoulders versus those with 30° and shallower angles.

I can say this with certainty though, since switching over to using the Little Crow WFT2 trimmer on everything it's made trimming cases a much more pleasurable and way faster.
Old 07-27-2022, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiserfool View Post
It's interesting (and likely telling) that no one has even mentioned the 20 Extreme yet.......
Well, since you mentioned it, I have two 20 Extremes; one on a Sako L46 and one on a Bat SV.

Both shoot very well and cases are relatively easy to make. Headspace is at the same spot as the 222 Rem. Case is trimmed a little and the first shot blows the shoulder out slightly. I hesitate to call it fire forming since the change to the case is fairly slight.

It is a fine and very accurate cartridge but doesn't seem to be the second coming...

I didn't bring it up since it (or maybe its developer) seems to generate so much controversy.

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 07-29-2022, 02:36 AM

Default Disappointing that..

No one has started typing in all caps yet...lol
Old 08-01-2022, 12:43 PM

Quote:
It's interesting (and likely telling) that no one has even mentioned the 20 Extreme yet.......
Ok. I'll chime in. I don't come in here often and just found this thread. I have built several 20 Extreme and love 'em, planning another on a Sako L461 action I have in the cupboard. I have given a couple to friends, one of which shoots a ton of coyotes annually (50 - 80) on his ranch. He has set aside all of his other varmint rifles to exclusively use his 20 Extreme. Forming isn't a big deal, run thru the die and trim to 1.575", no fire forming so quick and easy. I know Laverne rubbed a few the wrong way on here and was easily baited into a confrontation, but he did know his stuff. I will forever miss him. He was a wealth of knowledge. Talking with him about a load was like working with QuickLoad - he could figure loads in his head. It was amazing to see him work through a load and in most cases be as close as QuickLoad for results. I have several of his wildcats in my gun room - the 20 Extreme likely being one of the best.
Old 08-01-2022, 12:54 PM

Thanks for that Grey Wolf. On my first 20 build, I was offered the use of a 20 Extreme reamer but ended up ordering a 20-223 AI from Manson. I'm still "Extreme curious" though.
Old 08-01-2022, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that Grey Wolf. On my first 20 build, I was offered the use of a 20 Extreme reamer but ended up ordering a 20-223 AI from Manson. I'm still "Extreme curious" though.
You're welcome. The 20 Extreme was my first 20 caliber build. I didn't see the need to try any others. As someone else said - I don't know if you can really go wrong with any of them. All have their benefits, all have their shortcomings. Laverne also experimented with a 20-223 but was in declining health the last couple of years and didn't pursue it too far. It was simply a necked down 223 case, no other alteration. He did get it going but I think felt the 20 Extreme was better.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf View Post
You're welcome. The 20 Extreme was my first 20 caliber build. I didn't see the need to try any others. As someone else said - I don't know if you can really go wrong with any of them. All have their benefits, all have their shortcomings. Laverne also experimented with a 20-223 but was in declining health the last couple of years and didn't pursue it too far. It was simply a necked down 223 case, no other alteration. He did get it going but I think felt the 20 Extreme was better.
We now have the 20-223, forget the man that brought it out, but many use it, it is the 20 Practical. Just size a 223 case down to 20 caliber, with no other mods.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:25 PM

Agreed. I'm not sure why the 20 Practical doesn't get more attention. It is pretty straight forward to produce and use. Reasonable quality brass is, well, usually free if you check the range bin.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:49 PM

Quote:
We now have the 20-223, forget the man that brought it out, but many use it, it is the 20 Practical. Just size a 223 case down to 20 caliber, with no other mods.
IMO, the 20-223 aka 20 Practical is just that, about as "practical" of a 20 cal wildcat as you can get. If you want a 20 cal and need/want to shoot factory ammo then you're only real option is a 204 Ruger and it's no slouch either.

I only went 20-222 because I already had a 20-250 and wanted something smaller with quality brass and would easily feed/extract through the Rem 700 223 action I was using. Had I not already had a 20-250 I would have had a 20 Practical built instead.

Which version of 20 cal is best is kind of like that other thread about what makes the perfect varmint rifle. Thankfully, we have lots and lots of different options so what's "best" or is "perfect" is mostly dependent on what the likes and dislikes are of the individual. Hell, ask me what I think is best or perfect, today, will likely not be the same answer I give six months from now.

Last edited by B23; 08-01-2022 at 09:53 PM.