Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-23-2008, 11:21 AM

Exclamation Warning!!! - OT - Heavy Calibre Talk

Hi Guys,
I know I could get strung up for this, but I'm going to buy a rifle chambered in.....22-250! It's to be used on animals up to about 150lbs.

I know I could get a 204, but it really hasn't the ME and wound channel diameter for a tough goat. I'm not a professional roo shooter. I can't hit 'em in the head every time. Even a 22-250 is at the lower end of the spectrum for a humane heart/lung kill shot on these things.

Anyway, now that I have struggled with the decision of what calibre to go for (and I did struggle with the concept of a 20 VTTurbo for a long while) I need to work out what rifle. The rifle is intended as a walk-around gun. A lot of miles and not many shots. So I want it to be light.

Like any newby I did hope that CZ made a 527 in 22-250. That really would be floating like a butterfly and stinging like a bee, but it would appear the bolt face just can't get around a 22-250 head.

What do you guys think of the Tikka T3 Lite. It looks big, but it only weighs 2.8 kilos (that's 6lb 2.25oz on your side of the pond) and they say most guys can get .5MOA out of it after a little work.

I'm open to suggestions from all you professional purchase mentors. Here's your chance to ply your skills.

Thanks in advance
Old 12-23-2008, 11:55 AM

A 300 Whisper would be the cat's meow and you would still be using a small caliber case w/ 17-20 grains of powder (125gr bullet). It's some bad medicine for whitetail deer that max out at 250-300 lbs.

Lots of them are built on the CZ 527 too.....
Old 12-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Default yes CZ does...

it's a model 550 American...see link: http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=18

But, I prefer the Tikka. I would also prefer a .243 for bigger game, although my kid dumped a big whitetail buck this fall with his 22-250. That is a nice rifle too. It's a Browning A-bolt Micro Hunter. Good walkabout rifle.

Charlie

Last edited by csterner; 12-23-2008 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:54 PM
Supporting Member

Default .300 Whisper

I have a Whisper and it makes quick work of animals in the deer range. In fact it was one of the only guns I used when we have damage permits to fill. I was using a 220gr speer and it drills golf ball holes clear thru the animal in question. I bought mine from Model 1 Sales and it had a 16 barrel and was right in the 6-7lbs range with a 30 round mag.
________
Hotels In Mexico
________
Avandia death

Last edited by ab_bentley; 09-10-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:53 PM

As Charlie already hit on, I was going to suggest the Browning. Micro Medallion if you could find one, Micro Hunter if not. Small, light weight and yet still a good shooting iron.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:53 PM

http://www.biggamehunt.net/sections/...-09090804.html

Here's a good read on the Sako A7. It has several improvements (IMO) over the Tika for not a whole lot more money. The fact that Tika's only come in long action and the cheezy rings are a couple of things I've never liked. The A7 solves both and the metal feed lips in the magazine are nice.

I have the Browning Micro in 243 that Mr. Sterner mentioned. It's definatly a nice little lite weight rifle. I also think the 243 might be a better choice in calibers, but you've obviously given this alot of thought so I'm sure the 250 will work too.
Either caliber is a good candidate for the AI upgrade if ya want to spice it up a little.

Then there's the 6X45, if ya want to build something on a 527 action.
I've only shot one which was built on a 700 action. It was pretty impressive out to 500yrds.

Here's a pic of the Browning. Shoots and handles like a dream.
The 20" barrel is pretty loud though, if that's a concern????

Last edited by RePete; 12-23-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:12 PM

Default Brown 97

The action is a falling block. eabco.com company web site. Mr. Brown is a fan of the .219 Don Wasp. And the Ackley improved family. Velocities tread just behind a factory .22/250 and... look for yourself. AND LIGHT. Happy holidays.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiranger View Post
The action is a falling block. eabco.com company web site. Mr. Brown is a fan of the .219 Don Wasp. And the Ackley improved family. Velocities tread just behind a factory .22/250 and... look for yourself. AND LIGHT. Happy holidays.
Nice guns. haven't had the pleasure to shoot one myself though...

Mike Bellm is doing a .225 Win Ackley Imp'd for the Encore. It is right at .22/250 velocity or a bit more for the factory loaded .22/250. Brass life should be good and the folks doing the testing on his barrels right now are getting into the .4's pretty easy. My barrel should be here right after the first of the year.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:13 PM
Supporting Member

MontDoug and I can vouch for the stainless Tikka T3 sporters in .22-250. They are awesome shooting rifles, accurate, very light and ergonomic. They are a steal for the money. No copper comes out of my barrel and it is easy to clean. The rings that come with the T3 are actually very well made, straight, true, lightweight, rust free and strong. I upgraded my factory T3 rings with some high grade stainless screws to make them even better. If you don't like the factory rings then Talley Lightweights will screw right on and you'll have the lightest, strongest rings on the market for $40.

That article linked above about the new Sako A7 has an error when it talks about the Sako 75. The 75 never had a plunger style ejector. It has the same fixed mechanical ejector at 6 o'clock of the newer 85, something that makes the 75 my favorite all time rifle.

As to your main requirements of accuracy and weight, I can't think of a better rifle than the T3. Even my favorite Sako 75 falls down in the weight department. Buy one, you won't regret it.

Last edited by Fireball; 12-23-2008 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:37 PM

You might also consider a Kimber. If I were hooked on the 22-250 this would be my choice. http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/...m_pro_varmint/

Mine is a Longmaster Classic in 223 Remington. This is it.