Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-01-2008, 08:36 AM

Default Any Update on Small Calibre News?

G'day All,
just wondering from you locals if there was any fresh news on the SCN front?
Cheers Dugald
Old 12-02-2008, 01:34 AM

I sure miss it!

Anybody have an inclination I still got a little left in my 401K to go in on it. (I'm serious.... PM's welcome)
Old 12-02-2008, 02:08 AM

I was actually expecting a call from the broker today. He didn't call. From what I've been hearing, I don't hold out much hope. I do have an email to a friend with a publishing company though. There would be a lot of little pieces that have to come together, but it might be doable. SCN left a vacuum that could be filled...

steve
Old 12-03-2008, 07:28 PM

I sure hope that vacuum gets filled soon....all my issues are starting to show wear from re-reading. If anybody hears anything, please post what you know.

Multiple calls to the publisher have gone unanswered, even though the last time "mail fraud" was mentioned in my phone message....I've got two paid years waiting for a non-existant magazine..... I sure miss my SCN.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:58 PM

Default Scn

I think the "vacuum" they left was the renewal subscription money they seemed to forget about when " they " left .
Old 12-03-2008, 09:58 PM

I also had just sent in a 2yr sub. Didnt rec. a singal copy. I feel jipped! I could of bought - bullets- dies- brass- etc. ALLEN
Old 12-04-2008, 01:16 AM
Administrator

Default I'm afraid...

... that there isn't any hope. The only thing left "saleable" is the subscription list and the list of advertizers. With the number of outstanding paid up subs and ads, that would make for a negative proposition.

About the only thing I could think of would be to put together a group and start a new mag. Nothing says it has to be printed, as publishing on the net is a heap easier, the pages don't get messed up, you could print 'em if you chose.

Probably there would be enough sponsors that the site could have a pretty good bandwidth with little trouble.

The editor's job would be the toughest, and it might require that all submissions be on CD, which is already the mode for many mags. It might even require that you use something like Word, imbed your own pictures, etc.

Now all of that isn't that tough, and there would be lots of mentoring going on. Could have just one page per month or bimonthly publication, that just linking to the articles, maybe giving a quick abstract and one pic, plus an editorial. Links would be imbedded in the abstract so you could go to the PDF file, read it and print or download it.

Jim has offered to sponsor something similar here. Where would be find an editor? Would he (the editor) do it for the love of it, or want some pay? It should probably be associated with one of the boards to have a link to the clientel (sp).

As for buying the rights? Why bother?

Alex

Incidentally, someone e-mailed me about this and I thought it was a PM note/message and erased it, thinking it would be in my PM box. Please get hold of me again if this doesn't answer most of your questions. You might also contact Todd Kindler at The Woodchuck Den.

A.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
... that there isn't any hope. The only thing left "saleable" is the subscription list and the list of advertizers. With the number of outstanding paid up subs and ads, that would make for a negative proposition.

About the only thing I could think of would be to put together a group and start a new mag. Nothing says it has to be printed, as publishing on the net is a heap easier, the pages don't get messed up, you could print 'em if you chose.

Probably there would be enough sponsors that the site could have a pretty good bandwidth with little trouble.

The editor's job would be the toughest, and it might require that all submissions be on CD, which is already the mode for many mags. It might even require that you use something like Word, imbed your own pictures, etc.

Now all of that isn't that tough, and there would be lots of mentoring going on. Could have just one page per month or bimonthly publication, that just linking to the articles, maybe giving a quick abstract and one pic, plus an editorial. Links would be imbedded in the abstract so you could go to the PDF file, read it and print or download it.

Jim has offered to sponsor something similar here. Where would be find an editor? Would he (the editor) do it for the love of it, or want some pay? It should probably be associated with one of the boards to have a link to the clientel (sp).

As for buying the rights? Why bother?

Alex

Incidentally, someone e-mailed me about this and I thought it was a PM note/message and erased it, thinking it would be in my PM box. Please get hold of me again if this doesn't answer most of your questions. You might also contact Todd Kindler at The Woodchuck Den.

A.
Alex,

It may have been my PM that got lost. you pretty much answered my questions. i had a promise of a call from the broker last friday. Still nothing. They don't care about selling it too much.

I like the idea of a web mag, and i've done quite a bit of stuff on the web that shows me it could be done. However, I just like the print on these sort of things. I'm talking to a friend that has a publishing co right now. I'd REALLY like to see something similar that would just kick butt. I'd also like to see TK involved in some way so he could tweak Dakota's nose. I'm hoping to know something about what it would take for a start up in the next couple of weeks - it's been rough for my friend and I to get time together to talk about it. If anyone is interested in the outcome, i'd be glad to share.

steve