Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-02-2009, 02:18 AM
Supporting Member

Default What small caliber projects planned for 2009

The title came from another thread, GL put up, but as was last time, what does everyone have planned for 2009. I personally have a 17 Spartan(Fireball short .200), 17 Mink, and maybe another 20VT. Put your two cents in so we have an idea what to look forward to in the coming months. Best wishes to all, Adam.
________
EXPERT INSURANCE
________
XKENNY CAM

Last edited by ab_bentley; 09-10-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:49 AM

I have a .17 Fireball (14" for my contender) coming.
A .225 Ackley Improved (24") for my Encore.
A .222 (18" i think)
A XP 100 with two barrels - .22-250 and .260 Rem. I'll probably have the action worked on later, but i do want to have a .20 built for it if i start making some money. :-)

Just got the son-in-law a G2 in .223 (14"). I'm working him down in bore size from there. lol
Old 01-02-2009, 11:10 AM

Started a Tac20 Pheonix action rimrock stock Pac-Nor barrel, not done yet so it is a 09. Pics coming in the next few weeks.

17Fireball for my son. 700 SPS, barrel set back and rechambered with a min spec reamer chopped to 22inches. Dropped in a BC Mt rifle stock hardcore walking varmiter.

I have a Rem 700 short action sitting here. I might do another 17Jav and turn my current 17Jav into something. still kicking it around. Might go on the block.

My biggest project is to thin the herd and bloody what I have in a few other states. So watch the classifeds here in the next few weeks, when I get time I will be cleaning out. Dies, rifles, accesories and parts.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:37 AM

Default I have three projects...

5mm Remington Magnum and 5mm Centerfire - Have Schroeder bolt conversion for my Remington 591, and a new 21-inch barrel for my Thompson Center Contender. Will be playing with both Centurion rimfire ammo and Schroeder centerfire brass.

20-223 Ackley - Have Krieger fluted barrel for my Remington 40X switch-barrel rifle. Fast twist barrel for shooting the 45-50 grain bullets. Stock is presently at Mike Koontz's to be painted a candy apple red with marble swirl.

20 Bobcat - another barrel for the Remington 40X switch-barrel. This one is a Pac-Nor.

Will be writing articles for each of these for Precision Shooting magazine... hoping to teach others the fun of small calibers.

Glenn
Old 01-02-2009, 01:36 PM
Supporting Member

Playing with the 5.7X28 to see if I like it. I already have a 22 cal and 17 cal based on other brass but thought maybe stuffing a 20 caliber in there based on the FN brass might be nice. I've even been thinking about maybe skipping the 20 and going to 14 caliber -- gosh those bullets must be tiny! With the economy being the way it is I'm moving forward very slowly.

By the way -- Happy New Year to All!

Last edited by 22_boomer; 01-02-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Supporting Member

I have this critter (original Winchester single shot/ Low Wall) currently at the second stage of smithing.

First stage installed an octagon Pac-Nor Super Match 1 in 9 .17 caliber 3 groove. It has been chambered in .17 Killer-Bee. Also the falling block has been replaced with one made of 441 steel that has been Neidner bushed for added safety. (old original is for sale by the way, if you want to restore one to original.).
The current smith will refinish the stock (get rid of that hideous white plastic spacer on the grip ), blue the barrel and Color case harden the action, hammer, lever and block.
I will then try to figure out the appropriate scope with enough eye relief to allow loading but with enough power for gophers at 300 yards.
With any luck at all this will all come together prior to my death from old age . Actually he said I'll be rat smack'n by spring but we'll see .
Totally different for me but looking forward to it with anticipation! GREAT Anticipation truth be told.

Last edited by montdoug; 01-03-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:39 PM
Supporting Member

Doug, whats that green stuff? Glad in the sun belt of Mt.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:26 PM
Supporting Member

Spring before last Ray, white now and 3 ft deep .
Old 01-02-2009, 11:53 PM
Supporting Member

Don't hold me to my plans they could change at any moment.

First is project cheap skate . I bought a Rem 700 SPS for 389.00 on clearance from our wholesaler. I then mailed in a 40.00 rebate for that rifle. My plan it to sell off the barrel and factory stock to off set the cost more. Last month I bought a stainless .17 1 in 9 blank from Green mountain for 99.00 plus shipping.
I hope to have a wildcat rifle in .17 cal (practical , tactical or 17-223 ) for less than a factory rifle.

Second is a something in .17 AH . I was going to buy a Cooper but you know what happen. I'm wheeling and dealing on a Ruger 77 hornet but if that don't work out I'm rechambering a MKII contender barrel.

I just spent 1500 on the having the daughters wisdom teeth pulled so I'm behind the eight ball right now.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:54 PM
Supporting Member

Well for this year I'll first start out with new braces for the daughter in a couple weeks, oh..... well she is knida small caliber... As motioned already I will try and complete last years projects.... When/if the funds become available I will be sending this Contender 17 HM2 barrel to Mr Weaver for a 17x28 of some sort. Also intend to do a 5mmx28 on one of my 591s with an x-barrel I have here... And need to have Hornady build me some dies for the one of the best lil 17s I shoot (Ray's 17 Javelina Imp). Doug, once you get that project of yours done I would be interested in trading a set of braces that comes complete with a 12 year old girl, she should end up with a great smile and with a lil work could even scoop snow and.... The wait will be worth it, very nice project!!!