Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-04-2013, 04:19 AM

Default Range rage and proper etiquette

So, I went to the range this weekend to break-in the new Savage 17hh. You know the drill - shot one, clean, shoot again, clean again. Anyway, I am trying my best to shoot a respectable group (even though I am cleaning after every round) when some guy about 6 benches away starts shooting his AK. Now, I could not care less what anyone else is shooting, but this AK is throwing brass my way. It is hitting me, bouncing off of my rifle and creating a pile of spent brass on my bench and on the ground around me. I am trying to not get too pissed off when another guy sets up right next to me with a .338 with a muzzle break. As if getting showered with brass is not enough, this guy with his .338 is literally blowing stuff off of my bench every time he fires. My ammo boxes, my cleaning patches, my hat were all getting blown off of my bench every time that damn .338 went off.

Through it all, I just bit my lip. Didn't say a word. Closed my eyes and kept telling my self that they had a right to be there as well. But, the more I think about it today, the more convinced I am that I should say something -- either to "those" people, or to the range master. It is one thing to shoot and quite another to throw brass on your neighbor or shoot such an obnoxious weapon that the blast from the muzzle literally blows your neighbors stuff off of his shooting bench and impacts his ability to shoot.

So, here are my questions: First, Is there any kind of range etiquette at your ranges that would tell me, "Burt o'l buddy, that is part of being at a range, just suck it up and don't say a word." Or, second, am I in line by saying anyone can shoot what they want, but they cross a line once they start showering me with brass (this happens a lot with the AR guys as well) or shooting a .338 cannon with a muzzle break that creates an ungodly muzzle blast that blows things off of my bench and/or creates a situation where I can't have a quality shoot.

I would appreciate hearing of your range experiences and how you deal with them.

Burt
Old 03-04-2013, 04:58 AM

Where I shoot they have screen boxes they set up to catch the brass from teh AR and auto guys. The muzzel brake is my big complaint, when they set up I just move or quit, it is not worth the pain. Larry
Old 03-04-2013, 06:06 AM

When I used to shoot my 338 at the range I would never, ever shoot next to someone who I felt knew what they were doing. I would just wait and plop myself down in the middle of the " zombie killer" jackass's and run them off As far as the brass bouncing off you and your expensive scope I feel your pain. I ask nicely once, the second time not so nice...One guy was a real ahole about it so I would catch his brass and peg him with every single one. Eventually he got the point..
Old 03-04-2013, 06:08 AM

Dont get me wrong tho I absolutely love helping out people at the range! I always lend a hand or tools or even let people have a hand at some of my bench guns.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:47 AM
Supporting Member

At the public range I go to they ask what you are shooting and try to get all the AR's and AK's in the same area. Problem is, when the range gets loaded up the position choices get few and far between. I've noticed some people that shoot some type of AK that's chambered in 7.62X54r and the brass can fly 20 yards. I built a screen to keep brass from going everywhere but that was actually for me since my legs are bad and getting down on my knees and picking up brass is a bit annoying. I don't have rifles like most of you fellows here so a little ding here and there only adds character. If it really gets bad I ask for a new position or pack up and go home.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:54 AM

Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, the gun world is now overflowing with "newbies" that don't know squat about firearms or range etiquette. They figure they pay their dues and they can do what they want. Having said that, it's long past time for clubs to require brass catchers on the worst offending weapons. Have you thought about bringing up changes to range rules at your club's meetings?
Old 03-04-2013, 12:04 PM
Supporting Member

Default The problem is...........

They know they have rights, they were just never taught the right to be courteous!!
Old 03-04-2013, 12:05 PM

Seems to me like manners and simple consideration of one's fellow man have gone the way of the dinosaur, whether you're at the range, the supermarket, on the road, or whatever.

Sad.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:47 PM

I won't do barrel break-in at the range. If you have a friend with a place in the country with a garage to set up in thats the way to go.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:06 PM
Supporting Member

Default which is why....

we go during the week, and get there early. There are screen frames hanging from the metal roof between the benches where I shoot. I STOP when any muzzle brake comes out to be shot. NO fun at ALL when they are going off.

Tags
etiquette, manners, range