Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 05-17-2018, 04:14 AM

Default Neck Turning Help

Thinking of trying neck turning. Since I like Redding dies, I was thinking of getting the 26400 Redding Case Neck Guage. What is a good neck turner for me to use that is a decent price and fairly easy to use and get consistent neck thickness?

I see the Sinclair model, NT-1500 DELUXE NECK TURNING KIT, but if I see it correctly, I need one of these for each of the calibers I shoot? (.17, .223, 6mm, 6.5mm, 30, etc.) I also see RCBS and Hornady models, too. What do you guys think who have done this procedure with these or other tools, etc. What do I need to purchase to get there without a burdensome tool or having to spend lots and buy several, if I am understanding the Sinclair tool. Looks like Hornady comes with most of what is needed except for their shell holders.

https://www.brownells.com/reloading/...prod35270.aspx
Old 05-17-2018, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking_Coyotes View Post
Thinking of trying neck turning. Since I like Redding dies, I was thinking of getting the 26400 Redding Case Neck Guage. What is a good neck turner for me to use that is a decent price and fairly easy to use and get consistent neck thickness?

I see the Sinclair model, NT-1500 DELUXE NECK TURNING KIT, but if I see it correctly, I need one of these for each of the calibers I shoot? (.17, .223, 6mm, 6.5mm, 30, etc.) I also see RCBS and Hornady models, too. What do you guys think who have done this procedure with these or other tools, etc. What do I need to purchase to get there without a burdensome tool or having to spend lots and buy several, if I am understanding the Sinclair tool. Looks like Hornady comes with most of what is needed except for their shell holders.

https://www.brownells.com/reloading/...prod35270.aspx
The Sinclair tool has removable caliber specific mandrels over which the case slides. The tool is one tool, the mandrels are caliber specific.

You will also need a mandrel die to slightly enlarge and straighten the case neck prior to turning, and the mandrel in that is "two ended" allowing two calibers. Call Sinclair chat and talk thru it. I like my old original neck turner from them.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:49 AM

There are a lot of good ones. I had and used the Sinclair a lot and liked it. But I replaced it with the K&M.

I just find it easier to get the K&M adjusted to exactly where I want it. And I also like to power the operation by turning the cutter in a drill press, the protruding mandrel on the back side of the K&M makes this easy too.

- DAA
Old 05-17-2018, 12:11 PM

21st Century hand unit is the one I use. A little learning curve to set up but very easy to use once that's completed. Works well with a lightweight battery operated drill.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:06 PM

Started out and liked the hand held neck turning tool/s. But last year bought the Hornady lock n load model, much nicer, faster and easy to use. Just add your drill, along with the adapter and makes fast work out of doing many cases. Only thing is, so far, they have no mandral for the 17 ca. ( I made my own) but it come with a set to cover most other calibers. Bill K
Old 05-17-2018, 02:23 PM

If you are interested I have a Redding#26400 case neck gauge I used when I was making 20VT brass, it is like new. $60 Shipped Comes with 20, 22 & 30 cal case stops. Can send pics
Old 05-17-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Started out and liked the hand held neck turning tool/s. But last year bought the Hornady lock n load model, much nicer, faster and easy to use. Just add your drill, along with the adapter and makes fast work out of doing many cases. Only thing is, so far, they have no mandral for the 17 ca. ( I made my own) but it come with a set to cover most other calibers. Bill K

Maybe this is the easiest option for me? Anybody have experience if it does a good and consistent neck trimming?
Old 05-17-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking_Coyotes View Post
Maybe this is the easiest option for me? Anybody have experience if it does a good and consistent neck trimming?
Mine is very consistent in turning the necks to the thickness I set it at. Bill K (Note.. One thing with the Hornady trimmer, if you purchase it, the standard shell holders do not work with it, you must buy the specific ones, for it, hornady sells.)

Last edited by Bill K; 05-17-2018 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:25 PM

The one piece of advice I would give is this: Only buy a neck turner manufactured by a company that also makes their own expanding mandrels. The expanding mandrel and the turning mandrel must be sized with each other in mind to provide the best results.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramos View Post
The one piece of advice I would give is this: Only buy a neck turner manufactured by a company that also makes their own expanding mandrels. The expanding mandrel and the turning mandrel must be sized with each other in mind to provide the best results.
I have found, at least with two brands I have used, that the mandrel's would only fit the brand designed for. neither would interchange, in fitting into the cutting end/opening/clamp. So it is best to buy the mandrels needed from the maker of your trimmer. Just a thought. Bill K