Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-21-2018, 03:10 AM

Default 219 Zipper

Going to need some help on this one. When my wife an I were first married she had a uncle who lived in Colorado and hunted elk and mule deer. I loved listening to the stories . He would also talk about shooting a Zipper at ground hogs and yotes? At the time I had no idea what he was talking about. Now fast forward 40+ years. Uncle passed several years ago, but the family still has the Zipper. Having more knowledge about what the Zipper is I asked to see it and if anyone knew any history about it. The little bit of information I gained was it was built by a Army buddy of his after WW II using a G.I. Bill to learn a trade in gunsmithing. When I got a look at it two years ago. It's a unmarked heavy barrel with some kind of long odd looking bolt action with no type of safety other then a double set trigger. Family thought they were told it was some kind of Japanese action? I know I don't have a clue. The barrel and action look to be setting in a old M 70 stock with a old Weaver 6 power. Also has a set of C&H dies and 20 loaded rounds.
The family is asking me if I would be interested in buying the gun. I have no idea what value this rifle would have other then it belonged to a man I thought a lot of.
I know old semi wildcats like this with no build history don't have much value but also don't want to insult or be insulted when we talk money. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-21-2018, 05:15 AM

Default 219 Zipper

If it is a Japanese action, more than likely a receiver from a old Ariska, many were brought back and sold in the USA, after the way.
Had one, years ago, that a smith re-barreled into 22-250, shot pretty darn good, at the time.
If is a Ariska, and some of the earlier makes, it is probably worth getting and keeping as a Zipper.
Some of the later models, coming in near the end of the war, were being made fast and furious by the Japanese and the metal can be on the weaker side and not safe.
Have a good smith check it over and go from there. As to price, I would guess maybe around 2-3 hundred would be decent, for the family. Bill K
Old 05-21-2018, 12:48 PM

Default Value

Sounds like an old school varmint rig made when the 219 Zipper was king of the hill. Here in Australia I bought a few old varmint rifles in obsolete calibers from deceased estates and I paid what they were asking for them just to preserve a piece of history. Since you know a bit about the rifle's history as far as the owner is concerned and it comes with a set of reloading dies, I would ask them what they wanted for it and depending on your budget buy it to preserve something unique.

There are a lot of people on this site that would love to see photos including me. Let us know how you get on with the sale.

I recently bought a Martini in 219 Zipper Improved here in Australia, in good condition, built by a well known gunsmith, with no other history and no dies for the equivalent of US$350 and I'm happy to have the piece of history for that price.

That might not help since the Australian and US markets are very different but just something to think about.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:12 PM

Thanks guys. I know the description of the rifle was vague at best, Like I said it was two years ago when I last laid eyes on it and my CRS (can't remember sh#t) memory doesn't give me to much to go on. Other then I was pleasantly surprised at the overall condition of the rifle.
I pretty sure that if the family doesn't believe that this is a rare treasure I'll make ever effort to own it just for the fact that it belonged to a man I thought a lot of. If all goes well I'll see if I can get some pictures, but that wont happen until later on in the year when we travel out their way for a vacation. Thanks