Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-25-2018, 03:54 AM

Default 6-223 or 6TCU

Messing around and getting my lathe geared up. Thought and thought on a cartridge. Looked through all bullets I have on hand. I have a size able stock pile of 6mm's from 55-80 grain.
I have shot the 6x45 and 6TCU enough to have a good opinion on the cartridges. IMHO there is not enough difference in the two to get in any kind of debate. They both have plenty of merit. I lean towards the TCU in a bolt gun just for a bit of thinking the brass may last longer with less trimming? I say that yet my XP in a pistol is chambered in 6-223 and I have crowded it hard with no ill effects.

I am figuring a savage action, but I may swap off an extra XP for a model 7 or 700 and set up as a Remage.
So in a repeater, how well or what kind of issue will I have with the TCU as far as feeding from the magazine?

I had one AI rifle I bought second hand and had zero issues. I don't know if it had been tuned or not but it fed well.
Jeff
Then again I still have the 17-223,17-223AI and 20 practical on the table as well. So I can't say anything is written in stone as of yet.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:00 AM

i've looked into the .223ai several times and most who run those (where i'm reading at least) run detachable bottom metal with aics mags and they run flawlessly. as for stock mags i'm unsure, I would think at most some feed lip tweaking would be necessary to combat the straighter case.

I don't own one (yet) but I too have read that trimming is far less frequent(or sometimes never) with the 40' shoulder and most lose the primer pockets before anything. .223 short and I have a reamer spec'd out that we plan to do in the fall funds permitting. but it's basically a 6mm-223ai but with a 30' shoulder vs the 40 and the throat is catered to the 95-105 vld's.

Last edited by squirrel_slayer; 05-25-2018 at 04:04 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:23 PM
Supporting Member

I run a 6 TCU on a Remington Model 7 with detachable mag in an MDT chassis. No feeding issues.

ML
Old 05-26-2018, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Messing around and getting my lathe geared up. Thought and thought on a cartridge. Looked through all bullets I have on hand. I have a size able stock pile of 6mm's from 55-80 grain.
I have shot the 6x45 and 6TCU enough to have a good opinion on the cartridges. IMHO there is not enough difference in the two to get in any kind of debate. They both have plenty of merit. I lean towards the TCU in a bolt gun just for a bit of thinking the brass may last longer with less trimming? I say that yet my XP in a pistol is chambered in 6-223 and I have crowded it hard with no ill effects.

I am figuring a savage action, but I may swap off an extra XP for a model 7 or 700 and set up as a Remage.
So in a repeater, how well or what kind of issue will I have with the TCU as far as feeding from the magazine?

I had one AI rifle I bought second hand and had zero issues. I don't know if it had been tuned or not but it fed well.
Jeff
Then again I still have the 17-223,17-223AI and 20 practical on the table as well. So I can't say anything is written in stone as of yet.

I love my TC Contender in 6TCU, the brass is easy to form. Not as easy as the 6x45 (6-223). But I do believe brass will last a little longer and won’t hbe to trim hardly ever. I shoot 65gr Vmaxs from a 16.25” barrel at 3000fps. I’m in the process of finding a load for 58gr Vmaxs. I’ve shot a deer with the87gr Hornady HPBT with no issues.

I think you’ll like either one.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:45 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

That's a LOT of velocity from just a 16.5" tube.
WOW!

Where's KenBro on this subject?

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 05-26-2018, 09:46 AM

Sounds like a fun project. I had big plans of building one or the other. Have all the tooling to do both now! Just need to decide and order a barrel.

Aaron
Old 05-26-2018, 01:34 PM

Oh I like both, as I have had both in pistol and carbine length barrels. If one watches what bullet, both will work on deer but not my first choice.

I still have my XP pistol in 6x45/6-223. Still have dies for both as well.
My major concern was wanting a 6tcu and have it feed from the magazine with no issues.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeld View Post
That's a LOT of velocity from just a 16.5" tube.
WOW!

Where's KenBro on this subject?
Here’s my rig. I’ve upgraded to a vortex diamondback since this pic.

Old 05-28-2018, 02:31 PM

6x45 will feed well from any OEM mag, 6TCU I'd recommend single stack mag such as MDT plastic AICS style.

My TCU will fling a 70g 3300 out of a 27" barrel.