Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-11-2019, 06:39 PM

Default Information & suggestions needed

I would like to tap into the knowledge on this board with regards to rust prevention.

I am in the process of relocating my reloading equipment and supplies resulting from an upcoming move. I would like recommendations on products to use to remove any light surface rust from dies that may have accumulated from 30+ years of storage and use in the reloading room I built in about one-third of my two car garage. I am also interested in products suggested for preventing the light surface rust that seems to attack my dies.

I would like to clean each die set and apply protectant on them as I organize my new reloading room. The new location is in the basement of the house we just bought. I have a 20+‘ X 30+‘ room that I have been running a dehumidifier in for the last two weeks. Humidity seems to be holding between 35% and 40% during this period.

I can’t be the only one looking for a solution to this problem so please share your suggestions.

Thanks,

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 09-11-2019, 07:26 PM

Default Rust

Gary,

RUST - I hate rust and deal with it constantly being 45 minutes from the Gulf. Most of the rust you encounter comes from two sources: (1) oils/salts sweat from physical contact of your hands or (2) moisture in air that is collected/absorbed by dust particles which eventually settle on the surface of tools. Keep your shop clean...dust collection. If you don't have A/C in the work space then consider buying a portable dehumidifier that you'll run whenever the humidity gets high.

The best solution for avoiding rust is some form of physical protective barrier between the metal and air or touch. Oil is great, but it eventually slides off. The most effective treatment that I have found for my woodworking tools and reloading equipment is either an annual coat of Johnson Paste Wax or Boeshield T9. As soon as a new tool or die comes into my shop I disassemble completely and then I give it a quick spray down with Brake Cleaner to remove any/all impurities on the surface and wipe down with clean towel. For small pieces I then spray down all of the pieces with a heavy coat of Boeshield T9. I let the parts drip dry for a while (1 hour) before wiping off remaining T9 solution that didn't dry. For larger surface areas (table tops or large tools with wide surfaces) I use Paste Wax.

To clean off existing rust - if it is very light surface rust then a Green Scour pad will do. If it is more then using fine grit sand paper (400 grit). Also, you can buy a variety pack (different density/grit) of small scour pad polishing wheels that are attached to a drill bit so that you can chuck it up in a drill press or cordless drill. I bought these off Amazon and Ebay. Once surface has been scoured/buffed, then spray down surface with Brake Cleaner to remove impurities and debris and wipe off with a clean rag. Follow up with a healthy dose of Boeshield T9 or Paste Wax.

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 09-11-2019 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:46 PM

I like a light coating of Ballistol, it worked great for the german army and others over the years to prevent and keep rust away. As a after thought I also like Essox.

Last edited by Bill K; 09-11-2019 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:04 PM

FYI:
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...rust-blockers/

http://www.corrosionx.com/corrosionx-for-guns.html

Last edited by JohnHenry; 09-11-2019 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:50 PM

I'm dealing with extreme rust conditions...almost living in a swamp. My bathroom after a long hot shower is sometimes dryer than stepping out my front door.... My solutions are based on the worst scenario.

I've got a couple of cans of Ballistol. The US military did a study that found Breakfree CLP / Eezox to be very effective. I've been using CorrosionX for years treating salt water fishing gear...its thick. I think these are all great day-to-day maintenance/usage/handling of tools and gear. However, my experience is that they are not as effective for "storage" of tools, where something is put away and ignored for a period of time that is long enough for rust to grow.

My problem with any of the liquid oil based products is that they all tend to migrate/flow to lowest point of gravity gradually exposing bare metal, lubricant can be wiped off during normal usage, and the lubricants tend to collect dust that builds up creating a surface sludge. Whereas, the dry preventative barrier products don't move/migrate, don't wipe off easily during normal use, and don't become dust magnets.

Before I installed an A/C unit in my garage I could turn on my dehumidifier and draw out 8 gallons on water in 2 hours. I would have to do this weekly!!! It has gotten so much better and I have learned to:
1) Cover flat surfaces so dust doesn't collect and absorb water
2) Remove saw dust and debris immediately
3) Use storage containers where possible to reduce exposure

PS - Gary the pile of plywood on the floor is my future reloading bench...

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 09-11-2019 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:52 PM

In addition to what Oso Polaris said, I also use EEZOX on dies (like some of my pistols for lube) and RIG (brand name Rust-Inhibiting-Grease).

Having a dehumidifier is critical.

Last edited by TinMan; 09-11-2019 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:05 PM

Extra Precaution - Storage Containers
(money well spent for protection and organization)

Old 09-11-2019, 10:12 PM

I'd opt for one or more dehumidifiers with hoses attached to drain them; GI ammo cans with dessicant packs help, light oil, and lots of TLC may resolve your issue. We don't have humidity year round here, but during the warm months we have to empty ours twice a day. That's why I suggest a hose.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:59 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Oso:

Well covered for the rust.

Now then, what I want to know is how you control those damned
half pound skeeters in that area?

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 09-12-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeld View Post
Oso:

Well covered for the rust.

Now then, what I want to know is how you control those damned
half pound skeeters in that area?
I gave up participating in Early Teal Season... 95-105 degrees, alligators, and the blood letting from the mosquitoes. When I get teary eyed about missing out I just go down to the store and buy some Cornish Game Hens...

They haven't been too bad lately, but all that can change with a storm and strong Northern winds. Suddenly there is an infestation of giant salt water mosquitoes that have been blown 45 miles north out of the marshes. I have been known to place on my head lamp, turn off all the lights in the house, and go on a Mosquito Safari before going to bed.