Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-30-2017, 05:40 AM

Default Kimber 84M Varmint Owners, Step Inside Please.

I've a friend wanting one of these in 204 Ruger but none are available locally to look at. LGS can bring one in but wants $30 so before he does that; perhaps y'all can help out. I have the same caliber in a Cooper 21 Montana Varminter that's about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on! I use mine for colony varmints and he's wanting the Kimber for similar use. How does the Kimber compare? What adjustment range does the trigger have? Is the Kimber action a mini-mauser similiar to the CZ527? How is the wood on the 84M? Other thoughts/considerations?

Thanks in advance,

-BL
Old 05-30-2017, 11:52 AM

Closest I can offer is my Kimber Longmaster Classic in 223 Rem but have never owned a Cooper.

Never looked into the adjustment range on the trigger, it came from the factory with a very good crisp trigger that releases at about 3 lbs of pull. One of the best factory triggers I have found.

It has a 1:9 twist.

Yes, action is similar to the CZ.

Mine came with nice wood, I bought it sight unseen through Gander Mountain.

It was a bit finicky in bullet selection. Didn't like any mid weight bullets but loves 40 grain ballistic tips and anything over 63 grains.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:00 PM
Supporting Member

Hi Ben, I am a huge fan of my 84 M in 204. Took it, my Cooper 20 VT and 20 AH #3 to the range yesterday. Mont doug posted a pic for me of the three a couple posts down, page 3 of Chuckshooters 20 AH post. Give you a wood pic of one Kimber.
Yes a controlled feed mini Mauser type, trigger adjusts down to around a pound or so and very crisp, but certainly not Jewel crisp. In 204 the gun is light enough for easy carry but barrel heavy enough to spot your hits( and misses&#128512.
Mine is very accurate, as good as the Cooper and that one easily exceeds Coopers guarantee. However, Kimbers lighter pencil barrel sporters have a spotty accuracy reputation. My particular varmint barrel is as good as it gets.

Hope that helps.
Larry
Old 05-30-2017, 02:07 PM
Supporting Member

The Kimber action is actually a slimmed/scaled down version of the control round feed Model 70 action, including the 3 position Model 70 type safety. As controlled round feed actions, the Kimber and the Model 70 CRF are both improved and modernized commercial versions of the 98 Mauser.

As stated, the heavier barreled versions of the Kimbers typically shoot very well for colony varmints, etc., as do the lighter weight barrel versions. However, the lighter barreled versions do have a tendency to wander a bit as the barrel heats up, but the lighter versions are designed to be light-carry hunting rifles and not bench type guns.

The CZ action is another example of a controlled round feed action with a detachable magazine, but calling a CZ a Mauser would probably cause old Peter Paul to belch loudly if he were here due to his penchant for designing and patenting an internal round magazine for Mauser rifles. He called the internal round magazine his greatest accomplishment. Think Model 98 when you say "Mauser" in today's world.

Coopers come with a solid factory accuracy warranty and ~46 yard target attesting to the accuracy (for what its worth). Kimbers come with an accuracy "warranty", but you're far more likely to get a Kimber that doesn't shoot well as opposed to a Copper that doesn't shoot well. Still, I'd not be afraid to buy the Kimber. I own several Kimber rifles and all of them are great shooters.

Edited to Add: I did have one Kimber 84 that didn't shoot well. It was a 10 year or so ago Super America (light weight rifle) in 223 Remington that could only do about 1.25" at 100 yards on its best day. I lost it somewhere in a gun shop north of me with full disclosure about its lack of (for me anyway) accuracy. It had incredible wood on it and that helped me ease the $$ pain considerably when it got traded.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 05-30-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:23 PM

ben lurkin: (Interesting forum screen name by the way. )

Can't add much to what has already been mentioned, but I'll addmy .02 worth.

I've got Cooper varmint rifles and one Kimber 84M in 204 Ruger. As far as handling qualities (purely subjective), I'd give the "carry-ability" to the Kimber, as it carries nicely compared to what I'd call 'lugging' one of my Cooper VR's about in the rat patch.

From the bench though, advantage is Cooper, as it just holds better on the bags due to the forearm configuration, plus added barrel weight.

Trigger; can't compare, as I put Jard 10 oz. triggers in all my Cooper bench guns, but the Kimber does allow reduction in pull weight to what I'd call a reasonable level for field use, right at 1 lb.

Accuracy clearly goes to my Cooper MTV in 204R, as it will shoot in the .2's, whereas my Kimber will always run under half inch, it just won't shoot like the Cooper will, but I've never noticed it in the field at live varmints.

As far as factory wood goes, my Kimber did come with a decent stick of what the factory calls Grade A Claro, the Coopers in my collection also came with very nice wood.

My Kimber at work in the rat patch recently. The wood is actually a bit darker than the photo shows. It was in direct sunlight when the photo was taken and may explain the light appearance of the wood.

I usually prefer my Kimber when I'm out on walkabout after targets of opportunity (rock chucks, coyotes, badgers), as it's a repeater, but my Cooper for static work at the bench, the only departure of that routine is when I take my little Cooper VR Model 38 in 20 Vartarg out to local ranches for rock chucks, as with it's extreme accuracy potential, there's absolute no worry about an errant shot going wide and going where it shouldn't, as it will drill a chuck in the eyeball from 200 yards every time.

Kimber, Cooper.....fish or cut bait? Your buddy won't be disappointed if he snags a Kimber 84M in 204.

Last edited by Rick in Oregon; 05-30-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:44 PM

Thanks for the feedback fellas. One more question, what is the barrel diamater at the muzzle on the Kimbers?
Old 05-30-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben lurkin View Post
Thanks for the feedback fellas. One more question, what is the barrel diamater at the muzzle on the Kimbers?
My Kimber 84M in 204 mics .685"

For comparison, my Cooper VR's run .780"

HTH
Old 05-30-2017, 09:35 PM

I have one in a 204. It shot well! I adjusted the trigger to 1.5 lb wood is nice but not great. I had it set back to a 20 Vartarg!!! It doesn't feed from the mag but shoots great. It's a great gun for the money. Your bud will be happy if he buys one.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:38 PM

I have & would highly recommend the Kimber Pro Varmint in 204 with the gray/black laminated stock & fluted stainless barrel.
It comes with a nice tactical bolt handle & is bedded and it's a mid heavy barrel but light enough to walk around with.
Mine with 35 Berger's & X-Terminator or 39 SBK's with RL10 shoots great. It will match Cooper's accuracy guarantee but I really prefer the Cooper Phoenix but it's too heavy to walk around with.
Mine also has a Jard 12oz. trigger but I have the original & it's about 2.5#'s & very crisp. The Jard is a great trigger also.
I have 4 204's & probably could be talked into letting this Kimber have a new home. It's got less than 140 rounds through it & it's sure a nice rifle. Kimber's actions to me are smooth as silk.

Jim D---
Old 05-31-2017, 12:30 AM

My Kimber 84M Classic Varmint 204R has a throat so long that I cannot get a 32grn bullet to touch the rifling. That is the only thing I dislike about the gun. Some day I will have the barrel set back one thread. The best groups are with 40grn bullets.