Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-08-2017, 09:56 PM

Default Question on 6MM Berger bullets

I am looking at bullets for a Sako sporter 6MM PPC
The gun will be used to shoot paper and some called coyotes.
The berger bullets I am looking at are-
EUWIN BR Target 6mm 62 grain

What is EUWIN?

And I am looking at-
BR COLUMN 6MM 64.20 grain

What does COLUMN mean here?

Thanks
Old 07-08-2017, 11:28 PM

Default From the Berger Website: Column Bullets

NEW – Berger 6mm BR Column Bullet
Posted February 28, 2012
There have been Bench Rest bullets in the past which were well-known for achieving consistently small groups over a wide tune range in many rifles and loads. One example of this was the Euber bullet. The seemingly ‘magical’ performance of these bullets has been attributed to special dies, stars aligning, owl feathers, or some other unknown influence. However, there are actually specific mass balance and aerodynamic properties which allow a bullet to mitigate dispersion and shoot precisely over a wide range of imperfect launch dynamics.
Understanding the physics behind dispersion mitigation, Bryan Litz went to work creating a specific design for a bullet that had the widest and lowest tune valley. This means that the bullet shoots best in the widest variety of loads and seating depths. He came up with three different designs. Within each design, we made lead columns at three different heights in order to identify the truly optimal design. Over the next 4 years, Lou Murdica shot literally thousands of shots in the data capture phase of the project. When the smell of burnt powder cleared, there was one bullet left standing that was head and shoulders above the others in its ability to shoot well at the widest variety of loads and seating depths.

This bullet is the new Berger 6mm BR Column. You’ll notice that there is no listed weight. This is deliberate since the overall weight is not as important as the overall balance of the bullet, which is achieved with a specific internal lead column height. Due to slight variations in copper and lead material batches, one lot may weigh 64.8 gr while another lot might weigh 65.1 gr or 64.6 gr. So long as the column of lead is the correct height to achieve the desired balance, the overall weight is a by-product.
These bullets have already been used by Lou Murdica to win a Two Gun Agg in Florida. According to Walt’s Grandson and Plant Manager, David Hamilton, these bullets will be available by March 16th.
Regards,
Eric Stecker
Executive Vice President
Old 07-08-2017, 11:29 PM
Supporting Member

I'm not sure what the "EUWIN" designation means but there were 3 bullets Berger were testing for the Benchrest shooters and all 3 shot so well they added all 3.

The other two were the "Column" and the "WEB".

I think the "COLUMN" refers to the height of the lead in the jacket as these bullets vary in weight from one lot to another, as I said they make these paying close attantion to the height of the lead column in the jacket.

The "WEB is a 65gr flat base bullet.

Hope I haven't confused you even more...........Kiwi

Last edited by Kiwishooter; 07-09-2017 at 12:57 AM.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by df06 View Post
I am looking at bullets for a Sako sporter 6MM PPC
The gun will be used to shoot paper and some called coyotes.
The berger bullets I am looking at are-
EUWIN BR Target 6mm 62 grain

What is EUWIN?

And I am looking at-
BR COLUMN 6MM 64.20 grain

What does COLUMN mean here?

Thanks
If your Sako 6 PPC sporter has the same throat as mine, you'll find that it's a long throat. The twist will be 1-14, so bullets in the 65-68-gr. range will be about as heavy as you can go. To get a typical 68-gr. match bullet seated into the lands will leave you with very little neck contact. (In mine, the 68-gr. Bart's has only about .12" or so of neck contact when seated to be about .01" ITL.)

I'm hoping that these newer 6 mm. Column Bergers--having an average weight of 64.2-gr.--have a point form that will allow seating into the lands with decent neck contact. I haven't tried any of the lighter 6 mm. bullets--like the 62-gr. ones--because of the long throat making optimal seating difficult in terms of sufficient neck contact.

YMMV. I'd be very interested in what you discover, in terms of seating depth issues, with your Sako sporter.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:09 AM

Default 6MM Berger bullets

Thanks guys, some very detailed and helpful answers.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:43 PM

After I could not get any of the Bruno 6MM 68 BT anymore I switched to the Berger Column Target in my 243Win. The original 243Win reamer used was saami spec so the throat was very long but the rifle still shot very well jumping bullets. When I switched to the Berger bullet I already had over 3000 bullets down the barrel and this added to the long throat. Bullet jump was over .250" with the Column Targets but they shot well anyway. At about the 37-3800 round count neighborhood I set the barrel back using a PTG minimum spec reamer with a .025" FB and the rifle shoots better than it ever has with the fresh throat. I use this rifle for rock chucks, prairie dogs and ground squirrels and the Column Target bullet works very well for this application.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:43 PM
Supporting Member

This a bit off topic because it goes back before the newest Berger bullets were produced but it does relate to the lighter 6MM match bullets so I figured I'd throw it in.
I purchased a 40X Remington out of the custom shop chambered in 6MM BR years back. It too had a 1 in 14 twist along with a tight neck (my first at that time), a 2oz trigger (also a first) and a 27 inch heavy barrel of all things? It was the most consistently accurate rifle I'd ever had to that point. I'm not a benchrest shooter buy any means but if I didn't drink my usual half gallon of coffee on an empty stomach before hitting the range and after I'd figured out wind flags a bit it was a one hole shooter with boring regularity, most groups ran in the mid to low .3's at 100 yards with enough forays into the upper to mid .2's to keep me chasing the end of the rainbow. I always felt the only thing that kept it from shooting smaller groups was the nimmy yank'n the trigger .
I became customer friends with a number of guys from Sinclairs when it really was Sinclairs and they helped me a great deal and helped me spend beau-coups bucks in the process. I bought every bullet in the 65 to 70 grain range I could find including a couple of Walt Bergers offerings.
To cut to the chase, in that particular rifle the bullet that was the most consistent was the good ole Sierra 70 grain Match-King, go figure. Proving once again to me who sure ain't no match shooter, "they like what they like" (within reason of course).
The concept behind the new Bergers however sure makes me wish I coulda tried em, to late, the rifle's been overhauled completely and chambered in .20 Dasher .
Let us know how it goes for ya and what ya come up with.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:26 PM

My 6PPC shilen light varmint barrel is a 1 in 14 and likes bullets at 65-68 gr. I use 65 Vmax and 68 gr Barts, but have used 68gr Bergers and 68gr JLKs.

A stiff dose of N133 and either a Fed 205 or BR4 work well.

A