Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 01-23-2019, 05:51 PM

I do not have a chrono and with a little one on the way I don't see one in the near future, unfortunately. I'll back down the loads and work them up using different primers and a crimp. The short magazine has me jumping a lot of space and I'm certain it can't be good for accuracy and may help with the load development.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:53 PM

I did find a couple loose primer pockets so pressure is theissue for what ever reason.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:19 AM
Supporting Member

What rifle do you have? Does it have a factory chamber or custom reamed chamber? I have found that the chamber you have makes a LOT of difference on acceptable powder charge in 22 K-Hornets. I have 3 different rifles with 3 different chambers and acceptable powder charge can vary by more than a grain with everything else the same. You may have a tight, efficient chamber in your rifle, so drop the charge at least .5 gr and work from there. Just FYI, my most efficient K-Hornet maxes out at only 12.3 grs LG with 40 gr bullets.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:40 AM

I actually missed the K part. I am shooting a straight Hornet and LilGun apparently shows much more pressure with a shoulder rather than a semi straight wall on the Hornet.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:46 PM

For what it's worth, my comment on pistol primers, I knew going in I was going to see some flat primers, though I never blew any or saw pocket swelling. CCI is all I ever used.

As to little gun, it produced some of the best groups and fastest speeds in my TC barrel years ago. I found lower loads show some pressure signs, because there was not enough pressure for the case to do its job. Similar to what they warn you about with 296/110 loads in pistol cartridges.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:37 PM
Supporting Member

In the 22 Hornet case capacity is a REAL big deal. A load in Remington brass that is just fine will be over pressure in WW brass. On top of that you can easily get almost 1 grain more in Rem brass. I use small pistol primers and Lil'Gun exclusivity because the SP primer dramatically improves accuracy. I have shot 12.6 grains of LG, WW or Privi brass, Fed SP primer and 40 grain Vmax or Blitzkings out of a few dozen 22 Hornets. They all shot that load under 1", some WAY under, and none showed pressure issues. That said, if your pockets are loosening you have pressure and I don't know what the capacity of Hornady brass is as I have never used it.

The sharper shoulder on the K may be part of the issue, I use LG in my 218 Bee and 221 FB, I can load almost as much LG into the Bee as the FB without pressure. The FB I cannot load to Hornady or Speer published max with LG, SR primer, Rem brass and a 40 grain Vmax.

You may have a small one on the way but a Chrono new is under $100 and used you can get them for 50 bucks. Velocity equals pressure, when you get to max published velocity stop there, even if it is a long ways off the published max grains. Speed is the single best pressure indicator, by the time you get loose pockets you are WAY past the recommended pressures. Same for case rim and head expansion.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:45 PM

I had always thought Chronos costed more. I'll have to pick one up. I loaded up 6 at 11.7gr with a light lee factory crimp. A full crimp really deforms the bullets plus it says not to use speer bullets in the crimp instructions. Odd.

Last edited by huntnfish08; 01-25-2019 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:46 PM

Rifle is a Stevens 322A. Manufactured between 1947-49. I bought it a few years ago and had it K'd.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:15 PM
Supporting Member

If it has a short or no freebore, it will be pretty efficient after FF.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:01 PM

I shot my 6 rounds at 11.7gr, cci sp primers, light crimp.

Primers look good.
No bolt stickiness.
Accuracy was good enough for hunting applications. It was -12*f when I set up at 100yds. Best 3 within 1.5" centered around the bull. Other three drifted right. Not certain if it was the 15mph wind gusting from the 8 o'clock position or my frozen trigger squeeze. Still not bad from a seated position on sticks with a 7x scope. Minute of coyote.
I'll work on an accuracy load when I can bench the Rifle in milder weather.
I wouldn't have thought it would be that crazy efficient. I bet I could put nearly 14gr in the cases before compressing powder.
Thanks for the help.