Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2018, 04:55 PM

Default which bullet 39SBK or 50Berger ?

Your opinion is appreciated.
I can't decide which calibre/bullet I prefer to lean toward for fur friendly coyote shooting. There is no accuracy preference as they are both outstanding. The 50gr bullet might have a slight advantage at 500 yd for energy and wind bucking ...whereas the difference in bullet drop doesn't differ very much.

Same rifle (BAT) with PacNor "switch" varmint barrels
One bbl is a 20BR with pet load 39SBK @ 3900 fps
Second bbl is a 20BR IMP. 40deg. with pet load 50gr BERGERS @ 3700 fps

note: hope everyone is healthy, happy and enjoying summer 2018
I had an excellent winter with 175 coyotes of which 45 were discared due to mange. I snared 99% of them with the wolfmaster power ram. Shot a few at long range and shot a few close range over the E-Caller.
The coyote fur prices are the highest I have ever seen but the fuel and manintenance costs have escalated.
My dad passed away suddenly in his sleep May 2017 at the age of 88 and that has kicked me in the head real bad - with some days worse then others.
My wife is not happy with me as it seems we're having less in common with one another as we get older....and I find myself less caring about things.

Last edited by AlbertaAl; 07-13-2018 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:18 PM

First off, hang in there and take care of yourself!

Up until about four or five years ago, the 39 SBK was my favorite 20 caliber coyote bullet. Then, I started getting splashes and it was rumored but never confirmed, that Sierra changed to a thinner jacket. I switched to the 35 grain Berger (204R) and have been very happy with clean, tidy kills. I have no idea of what, if any, differences there are between the 35 and 50 grain Bergers. Sounds like you have an opportunity to do WAAAAY more testing than I will ever do.

Well wishes, and best of luck.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:14 PM

I agree with Ramos I think the 39 SBK are to explosive for coyotes. If you have fast enough twist I would run the 50 Bergers if not go 35 or 40's
Old 07-13-2018, 11:39 PM

After trying the 39 gr Sierra last winter, I do not consider it a great coyote bullet. Bullet does not penetrate deep enough on angle shots or head on chest shots. Going with the 35 Berger in the 204,if I use it for coyote again. I have not tried the 45 gr sp, it is supposed to work well.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:17 AM

I assume you have a supply of 50gr Bergers...to my knowledge Berger discontinued this bullet. As a couple of alternatives, Speer makes a 39gr and Robinett(BIB) makes a nice 40gr bullet...both do a good job on coyotes and are accurate.

Gene
Old 07-14-2018, 12:59 AM

Default long distance bullets

I have over 500 rounds 50gr Berger and very small amount of the 39SBK
The 35 Berger is a great bullet lieu of the 39SBK and appreciate everyones experience.
I do a fair amount of bench shooting in the summer and only make kills during the fur season to experience the bullets killing energy.
My BR calibres are for those 350 yard plus longer distances ...and did alot of 4-450 yard kills a few years ago with Berger 40
Old 07-14-2018, 01:08 AM

Have tried most of the .20 caliber bullets in three .20 Practicals, two 11s and one 10. I have not found any of them more accurate than Randy's 40 gr. BIBs.
I don't shoot coyotes but those bullets to groundhogs are DRT out to 500 yards.