Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Big Game

Old 10-24-2020, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Default Lillie's first deer

PA youth season is this weekend. I picked my granddaughter up from the bus yesterday and we went to a good farm I have. About 6 PM 3 deer came out and worked towards us. I had her on a bog pod tripod with her 7 TCU DocEd built for her and at 150 yards, she missed. She was upset, but we had one day left.

Well, we went to a ladder stand I had set up at another place I have this morning. We spooked three deer out of the field getting in, and as it got light, I saw 2 nice bucks sparring. Decent 6 and a more mature 8. PA Youth season is doe only, so no shot. They fed out of the field to bed before shooting time anyway.

About 8, three deer came out into the bottom field, working their way up. When they got about 100 yards, Lillie tried to get on them, but in a ladder stand with no tripod, she was a little too wiggly and they got behind some trees. Eventually they made their way out again, but at 150 yards, I had her wait.

Instead, we practiced holding the gun and finding them in the scope. I was able to hold the front of the gun on the rail and put my other thumb on the butt and help keep it steady.

About 845 they worked their way out from the woods and got to 80 yards. The fawns with her kept getting in the way, we had to wait until they cleared. Then she turned and started walking away, behind some rocks. I thought the jig was up, But for some reason, she turned around and came back in the open.

Lillie did real well, we held steady and she said she was on. I told her to take her time and when she was good and steady, slowly squeeze the trigger. At the report, the deer dropped to a high shoulder/spine shot. We had to go up and finish her off in the neck, but that happens to the best of us sometimes.

She was excited. I was ecstatic. A wave of emotion came over me. I grew up on this place until I was about 10. Killed my first doe less than 100 yards from hers. I killed my first with a flintlock there, same spot. My dad killed his first doe there and a bunch of other deer. If only he'd be here with us. I miss him dearly.

Here she is with her big nanny doe.

Filling her tag.

Me and her.

Her and my mom. Mom is in her stand for the rest of the day. Glad she was there to see it.

Old 10-24-2020, 06:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

good one! congrads
Old 10-25-2020, 12:17 AM
Supporting Member

Good job young lady, that smile says it all.
Old 10-25-2020, 02:07 AM

Now thats cool.
Nowadays, it seems like parents are teaching kids to wait for Mr Big"

To a youngster, that big old doe should be just as much of a "trophy " as big horns.
Nice deer kiddo
Also great that Lillie is notching her own tag.
Love it!
Old 10-25-2020, 03:40 PM

A most excellent job Lillie, congratulations!
Old 10-25-2020, 11:22 PM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy

Smiles don't get much bigger than that first pic.

The last pic is worth framing, a great-granddaughter and a great-grandmother and a first deer in a fantastic location is just awesome. A pic like that just does not happen very often.

In our country the lie has become not just a moral category but a pillar of the State. -- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Last edited by RareBear; 10-25-2020 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:13 PM
Supporting Member

Way to go, Grandpa.....!!! Well done by both of you.....

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 10-28-2020, 07:25 PM

What a blessing being able to be with her on her first hunt, hope you have many more.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:10 AM

You have some pics there that need to be framed for the man cave / reloading room and think about starting her an album.
Old 10-30-2020, 06:35 PM

This was over the top! Congratulations to Lillie and her Dad!
Bill