Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-19-2017, 02:46 PM

Thumbs up All so true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
That is so true DAA. They are like fish in guessing weight. Most do look bigger than they actually scale out. But it is all fun and a pleasure to get out, chase, spot or call them. Bill K
From a long time ago. Same trip - largest and smallest - both GREAT! No limit, no tags!
Old 10-20-2017, 04:02 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Anytime you put 3-4" of fur all around one they will look big.
Don't know as I've ever seen one weighed, we don't mess with that much.
Guy on here I used to hunt with said at one time the one's he weighed ran around 23#-27#avg I believe.

They die easy when hit right. The only thing I ever shot with a .17 Rem was a fox and not very far, maybe 30yds and nearly blew it in half. No idea what the bullet was now.

I did learn with two I shot with 60gr in .243 that's not a good one to use when saving fur. Hit one at the base of the neck and her head flew over hitting her on the back. Barely 2" of hide holding it on. The other was a body shot and not much left of the body. Just tossed 'em in the weeds, too badly ruined to mess with skinning.

Bullets have to match the animal just about right to work as they should. Killed a bunch of deer with 150gr '06 and they're good. Same bullet at 25 feet hit a bull elk on the point of the shoulder and just made a huge bubble under the skin and half inch deep pulverized bone. He'd been hit from above between the shoulder blades down into the body just before that with a 180gr .300H&H and ran past me. I believe he went down from the first shot and didn't die. I blew his head apart with another 150gr. Way too much shooting for August rancher season! They're sure good eating that time of year though. I was a young teen under bad influence then.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"