Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 02-12-2019, 02:08 AM

Default 17 Fireball and ladder test and my kids science project

I have been tasked with helping my daughter with her grade 8 science project. Her teacher has suggested doing something with firearms and reloading.

We have discussed doing a ladder test with the 17 Fireball that I just had built. My issue here is I have never done a ladder test. I usually just throw a few loads together and start shooting groups.

I have a few questions. Can I do this experiment without a lead sled? How far should I shoot the ladder test at? I am thinking 200 yards? 100 might not allow me to see the nodes clear enough? Should I use increments of .1 or .2 grains?

I can’t think of anything else right now but these are the basics I have questions to. Thanks.

Last edited by albertacoyotecaller; 02-15-2019 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:33 PM

Default 17 Fireball and ladder test

I normally start at 100 yrds, with about 6 loads from start to max in .5 differences.
Then when I find a couple that seem best, I then do at least 6 loads with .2 difference.
Then when I have at least two that are best, I try some with .1 difference and also might tweek the bullet depth and distance from lands. When I finally have a load that is working best, then I give them a go at other distance and see if they are holding true. Just my way. Bill K

I came back for one added comment. Lead Sled ? I know they help tame recoil and all, but a person should really learn to shoot over and on items he/she will use in the real shooting situations. Just my thought, never wanted a lead sled.

Last edited by Bill K; 02-12-2019 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:08 PM

Um, Lead Sled?
Old 02-12-2019, 03:13 PM

The less the outside variables you have such as wind the better, and the 100yd range will be less effected by wind. With anything .204 and smaller capacity, I use .2 grain increments. I only shoot 3 shot groups "for the ladder test", then 5 shots when I compare the best nodes and usually there are only 1-2 5 shot groups shot.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:05 AM

Lead sled just to take the variable of the shooter out of the equation. For “scientific” purposes really.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertacoyotecaller View Post
Lead sled just to take the variable of the shooter out of the equation. For “scientific” purposes really.
The lead sled dose not stop the wind from blowing. I heard it does not blow in Canada, so you might be OK.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:35 PM

Lead Sled or not, it's up to you. I understand that you are trying to minimize the variables. My preference, for me, is a good front rest and rear bag from the bench. For the FB loads I would do .2 grain increments, three shots each on a calm day. I would not change anything other than the charge. Once you have settled on a particular charge, then tinker with seating depth. Only change ONE thing at a time. That way there is no confusion as to what caused the group to change. Neat that she goes to a school that is open to such a project!
Old 02-14-2019, 12:48 AM

The teacher asked her to do something with firearms. I am not sure how far she will be able to go with it even if it’s a good science experiment. I am sure someone will take offence to it shortly down the road.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:32 AM

lead sled actually is a good idea. you really take things down to a mechanical level and remove that thing called flinch or bad trigger pull.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertacoyotecaller View Post
The teacher asked her to do something with firearms. I am not sure how far she will be able to go with it even if it’s a good science experiment. I am sure someone will take offence to it shortly down the road.
that was my first thought too when I first read it. back in the day before my friend John Hinnant retired from teaching industrial arts they actually built rifles in his class. even though he was in Texas I don't think he would be able to do it today. that said shooting and reloading are science.