Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-04-2019, 12:53 AM

Default Building a new 20 VarTarg

I currently have a Cooper in 20 VarTarg and have found it to be my go to rifle.

My plan right now is to make a 20 VarTarg from a Savage 12 varmint low profile, CZ 527 Varmint or a Howa action. I will purchase the rifle new and then have a Pac-Nor barrel in 11 twist put on. It will used as a single shot only.

Any suggestions on the rifles mentioned or other I haven’t listed is appreciated.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimreed1948 View Post
I currently have a Cooper in 20 VarTarg and have found it to be my go to rifle.

My plan right now is to make a 20 VarTarg from a Savage 12 varmint low profile, CZ 527 Varmint or a Howa action. I will purchase the rifle new and then have a Pac-Nor barrel in 11 twist put on. It will used as a single shot only.

Any suggestions on the rifles mentioned or other I haven’t listed is appreciated.
Anyone of those would work. I have mine on the Howa 1500 action. It will feed 2 from the magazine, but mostly I just shoot it single loading. I do have a 17 fire ball on the savage action, single shot loading. They both shoot great. Bill K
Old 06-04-2019, 01:41 AM

Mine is a Savage 112 repeater barreled with a McGowan 11 twist stainless. It's not fussy and will shoot under a half inch with a lot of different loads. Used the factory stock and installed a Rifle Basix trigger. I have nothing against the Savage VLP or PacNor barrels, but you could easily cut your cost nearly in half. You may even luck out and get a good Accu-Trigger with the donor rifle, saving you even more.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:53 AM

I have 2, one in a Rem 223 action pac-nor barrel and a CZ 527 204 factory barrel that was set back to a 20VT both shoot extremely well.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:22 PM

Default 20 vt

I bought a Rem XR 100 in 223
Had barrel replaced with a custom .20 cal and chambered in 20 vt
Had Sako extractor installed
It’s one of my most accurate rifles

The XR 100 is no longer made but they show up on gunbroker at times
Old 06-04-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimreed1948 View Post
If you are looking for a walking varminter instead of a bench gun, you might consider picking up a Contender or Encore and getting a barrel from Match Grade Machine. I think either of those platforms in carbine configuration would make a nice walk-around varmint rifle.

https://matchgrademachine.com/

Last edited by DittoHead; 06-04-2019 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Forgot the link.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:10 PM

I used the 527 as a test platform for four cartridges, because they have a good track record for off the shelf accuracy. They served their purpose and all four need a new home.

I built four rifles on Savage actions in the last two years. The “flat back” stagger feed are, IMO, way better than the blasted center feeds. I did make them single shots, but was really disappointed the 17R would not feed from the detachable mag.

I built another rig on an XP100 action. Better than the above as far as feeding. Finding a stock that doesn’t need a bunch of work is a different story.

I am just now moving to the Howa mini actions. I have three and want one more for future builds. Triggers can be worked to be usable, but no after market. I hope B&C got something figured out on their stock, but sounds like it was more a Howa issue with mags.
I shot the 6.5 Grendel just because. In all honesty I was impressed with the rifle and the cartridge. I do want a 20PPC.

My findings on the platforms you mention. Hope it may save you some grief or unnseen issues.
Jeff
Old 06-05-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
I used the 527 as a test platform for four cartridges, because they have a good track record for off the shelf accuracy. They served their purpose and all four need a new home.

I built four rifles on Savage actions in the last two years. The “flat back” stagger feed are, IMO, way better than the blasted center feeds. I did make them single shots, but was really disappointed the 17R would not feed from the detachable mag.

I built another rig on an XP100 action. Better than the above as far as feeding. Finding a stock that doesn’t need a bunch of work is a different story.

I am just now moving to the Howa mini actions. I have three and want one more for future builds. Triggers can be worked to be usable, but no after market. I hope B&C got something figured out on their stock, but sounds like it was more a Howa issue with mags.
I shot the 6.5 Grendel just because. In all honesty I was impressed with the rifle and the cartridge. I do want a 20PPC.

My findings on the platforms you mention. Hope it may save you some grief or unnseen issues.
Jeff
Jard and Timney make triggers for the Howa.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:37 PM
Supporting Member

Default New build

Made mine a 20 Practical. Feeds from a magazine well. A little more zip than Vartarg. 11 twist is the way to go. Love the 39 and 40 gr pills.