Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-10-2010, 12:00 AM

Default Which 17 caliber bullet gives the deepest penetration?

After viewing the thread on the 30 grain golds I was wondering from your experience as to which 17 caliber bullet seems to give the best pentration. I know that the 25gr Hornady HP goes much deeper than the VMAX. I know that you all have shot alot more brands than these.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Supporting Member

We get a very limited selection up here. Hornady, Berger and sometimes Calhoon's are available, though there is a rumour going round that he isn't making 17s any more, have to give him a call.

Of the ones we get, the 25 grain Berger match penetrates the deepest. Will be interested to see the results of people with more selection to work with.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:40 PM

I'll say the Bullberry/Eichelberger 24g SBT.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:31 PM

Ladobe,

I searched these bullets that you are talking about and cannot find any information on them. Where do you get these?
Old 01-11-2010, 03:09 AM

here is what i know from shooting coyotes. 23 gr. golds don't penetrate much at all. in small/ medium cases, the hornady hp's penetrate too well. they don't open up until near exiting. this resulted in 2" exit wounds and bullet energy being wasted beyond the vitals. coyotes were generally pissed off when i pulled them out from under a bush. 25 gr. berger TARGET (not the crappy open nose varmint version) bullets are just right. 75%-100% penetration with properly placed energy results in clean kills. the v-max is rumored to give splash wounds like the 23 gr. golds did for me.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:40 AM

I can keep a 21gr Gold a 20 gr Nagle both open and closed tips and a 20gr V-max in a called fox. I have had splashes with the 20gr V-max on foxes not often but enough to get me looking elsewhere. 25gr Hornady HP at the higher velocitys will blow right through a fox. 25gr V-maxs do a number when ran hot 4000+ big entrance holes no exit. So i guess I answered in reverse.

I would look at the 30gr Gold,27gr Gold 25 and 30gr Berger MATCH, depending on the case size.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeyeye View Post
Ladobe,

I searched these bullets that you are talking about and cannot find any information on them. Where do you get these?

Short answer: you don't.

Longer answer: they were machined from solid copper alloy but have not been made for many years. Stashes of them do turn up now and then, but they carry a stiff price when they do. Those that like them like them so much they'll pay the toll though and constantly are looking to find more.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:04 PM
Supporting Member

http://www.gsgroup.co.za/sp.html
http://www.gsgroup.co.za/sploadsmall.html
http://www.gsgroup.co.za/sptech.html
I bought 20cal and 17cal from them. I have moly'd 17g 17cal i'd be willing to get rid of if you want to try them.

Last edited by ab_bentley; 01-11-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:39 AM

Genco, at one time, made a FMJ 17. I don't recall the weight, but I bet Happy could make some up again, they should be a good bet for an obatianable penertrating bullet. Other than those, I would bet on the now out of production match 30gr HPBT's from Berger. Larry
Old 01-12-2010, 02:54 AM

I had some solid copper 25 gr. at one time, don't remember who i got them from but i could not get them to group in any of my rifles and just sold the remaining boxes i had a year ago...
I use two 17 cal.s for coyotes one is a 17 rem and the other is the 17 Pred. and i shoot the 30 gr. golds and the 30 gr. bergers. I prefer the golds over the bergers as far as performance of the bullet on killing coyotes goes..
The 17 rem will leave the bullet inside the coyote most times and you will be lucky if you can find anything left of it... I get mixed results with the 17 pred. some days the bullet stays inside and does what it suppose to do and does alot of internal damage and supplies enough shock to drop the coyote with authority.. Some times i will get a through and through with very little to no damage at all and it still knocks them down for keeps... I took a coyote the other day that was head on with a slight angle away and i hit the front left leg high just below the shoulder.. The bullet went into the coyote and also through the leg bone breaking it and then into the chest cavity and killing the coyote right there.. The shot was at the 200 yd. mark...
For anything smaller than a 17 rem i would recomend the 25 gr. or a 20 gr. hollow point and no plastic tip bullets...