Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 11-10-2008, 03:34 AM
Supporting Member

Default 22 RF Lapua cases for .17 bullets?

Since the Lapua brass is so good and tough would they make good 17 and 20 cal bullets? Wondering how the RF casing bullets work, Good? so-so. not worth dealing with. Thanks, Pete
Old 11-10-2008, 06:42 PM

Default Works great but...

Mr. Dave Corbin is the "big name" in this field. Prolific writer [corbins.com, swage.com, etc].. I asked about .17 long ago. The .224 bullets with rimfire jackets are recommended to be held to about 3200 feet per second. If you want to invest in the dies to reduce the rimfire case and use it to make a bullet that does not have the jacket strength of commercial jackets... And hold same to under 3200 FPS... works fine. Now the .17 and the .20's are "touted" as "high velocity." .17 broke the factory standard set by the Swift... And the .204 is no slouch either. Where you gonna use these bullets? If you have and are committed to say the .20 Vartag or .17 Hornet or .17 Bee... go for it. Otherwise??? Or so I was lead to think by asking Mr. C. luck
Old 11-15-2008, 02:21 PM
Supporting Member

So keep em under 3200 fps and there OK? Pretty well answered my question, A low velocity bullet only, Thanks. Pete
Old 11-15-2008, 05:30 PM

Think that's really good advice. Built many 22 cal bullets from commercial cases. At higher velocity, all I saw was a puff of smoke, not a mark on the target. I think that at 17 or 20 cal velocity the cases just wouldn't hold up. Just my 2 cents worth
Old 11-18-2008, 04:53 AM

The smaller the bullet, the worse off you will be. this is why no one ever spins 300 turbo deisel magnum bullets apart, but a 204 ruger can rip the bullets apart like its cool if the wrong twist is selected.