Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-10-2021, 06:41 PM
Supporting Member

Default OT: Stripping a finish

Picked up a post war 94 which appears to have a sprayed on poly urethane finish. Anyone have luck stripping that?
Old 02-11-2021, 02:35 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Elbow grease and sand paper will do it.

Chemicals seem to soak into the wood and
wreck what's put on after.

Old guns IF they have original finish are best left alone.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 02-11-2021, 03:36 AM
Supporting Member

Try Kleen strip KS-3, I got it at home depot. It took the plastic finish off of a 700 stock. Took three go rounds but it worked.

Tom
Old 02-11-2021, 07:04 AM

If you have an air compressor this is by far the easiest and most effective way.

https://www.doityourself.com/stry/us...aint-stripping

Pete
Old 02-11-2021, 01:47 PM
Supporting Member

Sandpaper as needed. Makes a good sealer/base coat for the new finish.
Old 02-11-2021, 02:20 PM

Run the backside of a 1 inch and a 1/2 inch reciprocal hacksaw blade along your grinder or belt sander to sharpen it,...........leave the burr.

You can enhance the burr by drawing the blade along another immovable sharp steel corner such as your table saw top.

Use each blade as a draw knife scraping away the finish. Both blades can be flexed to match stock contours. The one inch blade does the majority of the stock and the 1/2 inch is for the tigher contours.

You can easily and quickly strip the finish with the blades, even removing small dents and scratches while maintaining straight flowing contours.

Then finish with varying grades of sandpaper.
Old 02-11-2021, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco1949 View Post
Run the backside of a 1 inch and a 1/2 inch reciprocal hacksaw blade along your grinder or belt sander to sharpen it,...........leave the burr.

You can enhance the burr by drawing the blade along another immovable sharp steel corner such as your table saw top.

Use each blade as a draw knife scraping away the finish. Both blades can be flexed to match stock contours. The one inch blade does the majority of the stock and the 1/2 inch is for the tigher contours.

You can easily and quickly strip the finish with the blades, even removing small dents and scratches while maintaining straight flowing contours.

Then finish with varying grades of sandpaper.
Ricco1949 two thumbs up

I have years of refinishing experience furniture, boats and several 95, 96, Mausers , Once mastered this is can be the least destructive way to the wood to remove a finish with out or with limited chemicals, Your not going to shape the back of the blade to a knife edge you making a hook scraper, Hold the blade 90 degrees to the wheel or I use a fine grit sanding belt leaving the burr to one side to make the hook, I use a hardened steel rod to finish the hook burr shape to make it even the length of the blade or you can use a kitchen butchers steel
Old 02-11-2021, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEM View Post
Ricco1949 two thumbs up

I have years of refinishing experience furniture, boats and several 95, 96, Mausers , Once mastered this is can be the least destructive way to the wood to remove a finish with out or with limited chemicals, Your not going to shape the back of the blade to a knife edge you making a hook scraper, Hold the blade 90 degrees to the wheel or I use a fine grit sanding belt leaving the burr to one side to make the hook, I use a hardened steel rod to finish the hook burr shape to make it even the length of the blade or you can use a kitchen butchers steel
@SEM

Yes I totally agree, I also sharpen at 90 degrees to create the burr or hook as you describe it, I should have been more clear in my sharpening description.

I will try a butchers steel to set the burr next time.........I have merely used the sharp corner off the end of my mill table in the past.

Last edited by Ricco1949; 02-11-2021 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-11-2021, 07:06 PM

I have a couple of rectangular cabinet scrapers and I use a burnisher tool to curl the edge to sharpen them.
Old 02-11-2021, 10:54 PM

Have found that box cutter knife blades work well scraping off the plastic crap, never ever use sand paper, it removes wood, which you don't want. I have also used a chemical product called Citri Strip, its a non acid paint stripper, paint it on, leave an hour or so, wash it off with warm soapy water, then let it dry, then work the wood over with some fine steel wool.