Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2018, 11:06 PM

Was more than one lot number of Lil Gun powder recalled?

Sometimes the powder lot number helps discussions on why did this happen etc?
Old 09-27-2018, 01:46 AM

I did a little searching and only found one lot number that was recalled in 2003. 103080221

I pulled the bullets from a dozen rounds and weighed the powder.

14.8, 14.8, 14.9, 14.9, 15.0, 15.0, 15.0, 15.0, 15.0, 15.1, 15.0, 15.1

These were weighed on a Pact digital scale. I think the reason the first ones were light was because I wasn't getting all the powder out of the case. I found that if I dumped it, then tapped the base of the case more would come out. It is such a small flake powder that some was sticking to the case walls.

Glad to hear that I am not the only one seeing inconsistency. I have not chronographed any. Maybe when I get time I will reload some with 14 grains and check the speed.

Probably will switch to one of the other recommendations though.

Thanks,
Jerry
Old 09-27-2018, 03:21 PM

Used to run Lilgun in a K hornet as well as the 221 Fireball both with 40 grain V Max. Fresh loaded rounds produced very good accuracy and great velocities. However my problems arose with rounds that had been loaded for several months before shooting. High pressures, wild velocity swings, and inconsistent accuracy became issues.
Started pulling loads down and found the powder had etched into the base of the bullet and became so hardened in the case I had to dig it out with a bent wire from a paper clip. That marked the end of my Lilgun days. Have a few pounds taking up space I’d love to find a home for on the cheap.

Last edited by M595NUT; 09-27-2018 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:54 PM

After reading all the comments from folks, I seem to remember that the colder temperatures caused greater fluctuations in velocity/results in Lil'Gun also. I haven't used it in Hornet or 221FB for probably 8 or 10 years.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:54 PM

Default Lil Gun

Hmmm..
Think I will take the 454 with me this afternoon when I head to the range to check out some OLD rounds loaded with Lil Gun.

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 09-28-2018, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in Illinois View Post
Hmmm..
Think I will take the 454 with me this afternoon when I head to the range to check out some OLD rounds loaded with Lil Gun.
have you checked you top strap for flame cutting erosion? I was afraid to use it in my 45 colt or 357 revolvers hearing it causes rapid erosion. I loved it in the levergun, 300blk and .223 short.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M595NUT View Post
Used to run Lilgun in a K hornet as well as the 221 Fireball both with 40 grain V Max. Fresh loaded rounds produced very good accuracy and great velocities. However my problems arose with rounds that had been loaded for several months before shooting. High pressures, wild velocity swings, and inconsistent accuracy became issues.
Started pulling loads down and found the powder had etched into the base of the bullet and became so hardened in the case I had to dig it out with a bent wire from a paper clip. That marked the end of my Lilgun days. Have a few pounds taking up space I’d love to find a home for on the cheap.
When I tore down a couple hundred rounds of 221 that had been loaded with LG I found the same thing. I too used a bent paper clip to get powder out. I thought it was just me.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:00 AM

Default Lil'gun problem in Fireball

Good golly guys how long do you let your ammo sit ? I never seem to have any sitting around that long, for powder to cake/stick. But then again, I seem to shoot it about as fast as I can get it reloaded. Bill K
Old 09-28-2018, 01:04 AM

I haven't seen any signs of top strap erosion in my 45 Colts using LG, but I am using the 30ksi 'Ruger" loads. Don't have a Casull or larger, as the greater recoil hurts my wrist too much. Maybe the higher Casull pressures are the issue.
Old 09-28-2018, 02:44 AM

the caked powder happens with other powders too I have had that happen in rather short time with stick powders both IMR and Hodgdon I just assumed from being compressed, I had loaded up some 350 GNR trial loads to see how it would shoot and found the ceiling early so about a month later I pulled the remaining rounds and had to use a bamboo skewer to loosen it was rather solid, I have a reservation of using a paperclip down by the primer, I know it wont go bang but just the same

so I'm guessing it would be a waste of time to post a few 8 pounders of Lilgun for sale here now, I do just have extra, bought all I could during
THE SHORTAGE