Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-26-2019, 03:16 PM

Smile Cooper 22 CCM to Hornet?

Couldn't find the answers in the archive so for those in the know, is it possible to convert a Model 38 CCM to a Hornet ? TIA Brian
Old 01-26-2019, 03:50 PM

Throw enough money at it and I bet it can happen. Not sure that you wouldn't be money ahead to sell the ccm and get a hornet
Old 01-26-2019, 09:19 PM

Default CCM hnt

I think you would be big dollars ahead by selling your ccm and buying a good 22H. I’d recommend an anschutz

Last edited by df06; 01-26-2019 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:23 PM

I really don't know.

The cooper m38 was made in 22 hornet(and other hornet types) and 22 ccm. I suspect there was a 17 CCM but not knowledgeable on that. You did not say caliber of the ccm in question.

If a 38 bolt is a 38 bolt in most aspects, then one knows that the bolt face of the ccm would have to be opened up a nominal 50. Not a chore for the new gunsmith with a newly acquired fancy turning machine. In addition to knowledge thereof, tooling has to be there as well.

One would think that the ccm extractor nose is longer than the hornet, rim o.d. sizes there. So perhaps a replaced extractor in the modded bolt? or shortening of the original extractor???

If..........the M38 has an ejector, one would have to looksee if enough common touch on the two heads will work for both cartridges. Seems logical but one can never say never in the gun business. If no ejector, no worries there then.

Barrel if correct in bore size..........would have to be rechambered. One would doubt setback, but the charge for rechambering an oem barrel is about the same as for a new blank........labor is there.

Whether you could sell the CCM for enough for another cooper in hornet, who knows. I see nice coopers here sell from 700-1300, mostly because of their wildcat chamberings, average joe wants off the shelf ammo. I recently purchased a like new Cooper in 20 TAC, mainly for the stock/action; price was right to some degree anyway.

So if with some of the wild guesses of mine above, the labor to rechamber and rework the bolt(plus perhaps extractor/ejector) will not be cheap.......and gotta have a guy on the lathe that knows how. If you can do the work yourself, then.............you are in more control of the effort and .......the costs.

I hear of CCM brass being around. Also hear of CCM being swaged down from hornet and touched some........but with me not having the CCM bug is a moot point, neat to hear about; but never got serious sorta speak.

Just a guy in the blue dreaming along with you..............a query to a knowledgeable working gunsmith is the real ticket for feasibility.

Last edited by rick w.; 01-26-2019 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:46 PM

Thanks Rick for the reply. A call to Cooper on Monday should give me the answers I'm looking for.... Thought maybe some of the long time members had been down this road in years past and had the answer.....
Old 01-27-2019, 01:41 AM

A solid decision.

OEM folks a lot of times decline major rework on their wares by their shop's personnel; some of that is just policy in general; but I will bet they will comment on feasibility. New bolt and new barrel certainly is within their capabilities, whether they will do it or not; one can only ask and see.....

This forum has a lot of knowledge, sometimes takes a while for someone to post real details. Sometimes bouncing ideas/concepts off others helps improve the session with guys that really know sorta speak.

Last edited by rick w.; 01-27-2019 at 01:43 AM.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:51 PM

Default Welcome aboard BAM......

Cooper will rebarrel your rifle for about $400- If I remember correctly.
The bolt face may pose a small issue,certainly not insurmountable.If you do rebarrel it,then you have a few choices 17HH,17AH,22H,22KH
The possibilities sure would offer you a real fun shooter that you can get brass for.Plus there is always the 17 Viper that Bob enjoys.
Matt
Old 01-27-2019, 06:59 PM

The .22 CCM Coopers were not on the market for a very long time,, hence it would probably smarter to offer yours for sale and go after a Hornet Cooper or any other brand you choose.

If you did choose to rebarrel or rechamber the one you have, get the bolt reworked, etc., my guess would be that you destroyed the value of your rifle in addition to spending a lot to get the work done. Not that you'd have to give it away, but it surely would not bring what it would in its original condition. JMO
Old 01-27-2019, 07:50 PM
Banned

Default Cooper

Sell it!! Cooper had lots of problems with the 17 22 coopers!!!reason they weren't on the market that long!
Old 01-28-2019, 09:26 PM

Well got ahold of Cooper today and after a lengthy conversation, the long and short of it is........

Run Forest Run........