Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-27-2019, 03:03 AM

Default Fire-forming with cereal question???

I need to fire-form some .17 carbine brass to get some cases exactly formed to my rifle chamber. Using the cereal method, how much pistol powder (Unique or Bullseye) should I use? I think case capacity of the cartridge is about 17 grains of H2o. Just trying to make sure I don't use too much powder.

Thanks,

Jordan
Old 09-27-2019, 04:07 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Just forget doing that and load what you plan
on shooting. They'll be perfectly formed then.

Saves on powder and primers too.

Main thing is be mighty careful loading these tiny cases.
I blew a gun up once with just a .1gr increase. After firing
ten shots in the same case a .1gr less that was just fine.

Good luck and have fun.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 09-27-2019, 04:45 AM

Thanks George.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Thanks George.
When I was doing some testing to evaluate impact to COAL on a cartridges development I was using 8.0gr - 9.0gr of Bullseye for blowing out .223 cases to 6x45AI. Obviously, the charge would be less for the smaller 30 carbine case.

As George indicated...if you can avoid the cornmeal step then by all means go straight to loading and shooting. As long as your resized/formed cases are reasonably close to your chamber then there shouldn't be any concern about case separation. I was surprised by how accurate these fire forming rounds performed.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:54 PM

George has it right, forget cereal.

Ricn

When they call the roll in the Senate," "the Senators do not know whether to answer "Present" or "Not guilty." -- Theodore Roosevelt
Old 09-28-2019, 12:21 AM
Administrator

Should I use Fruit Loops or Cheerios?

Load a few light and work up to a load that forms the case 90% or better and load them all up and go kill stuff while fireforming.
Old 09-28-2019, 01:46 AM

Default cow forming

I have use 7 grs of bullseye with cream of wheat and a dap of crisco to hold it in place while forming, but as others have said, it's not my first choice anymore. if you are going to do it, work your way up until you are satisfied you have a fully formed case.
Old 09-28-2019, 05:59 PM

Maybe a guy or two of you can expound on this whole cereal deal about how it's actually done ( in detail please), since I could not find it on youtube.

I tried this MANY years ago and I never succeeded. The cereal never held firmly in place to cause enough pressure to expand the case, and it simply blew out of the barrel. To succeed, I did ram a series of small pieces of paper hard into the case (without cereal) but it required so much time and fussing that I rejected that idea.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerfire View Post
Maybe a guy or two of you can expound on this whole cereal deal about how it's actually done ( in detail please), since I could not find it on youtube.

I tried this MANY years ago and I never succeeded. The cereal never held firmly in place to cause enough pressure to expand the case, and it simply blew out of the barrel. To succeed, I did ram a series of small pieces of paper hard into the case (without cereal) but it required so much time and fussing that I rejected that idea.
FOR ME,,,It's all about the powder, fast burning pistol powder, I think you if google "cream of wheat fire forming", there is a lot of response. it's quite simple. powder, cow, something to hold it in place, I use crisco, others have used wax, toilet paper jammed in place. again, work up slowly, different size cases will need more or less powder, 7gr was my number for a small case. also some use other powders. wildcat fire forming is each persons own individual experiment.

Last edited by chuckshooter; 09-28-2019 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerfire View Post

As Chuckshooter pointed out, you must use pistol powder, which is extremely fast powder and puts out enough pressure to expand case. During my cartridge development, I formed about 1-2k of cases with 80% fire-forming method (Cream of Wheat...cornmeal). After some trial and error, I developed a process that worked consistently. Here is link to thread:

http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35289

It made sense in my application because I was trying to accomplish 2 things: (1) convert standard 223 Rem to a Ackley Improved profile and (2) expand case neck to 6mm.

If I were just trying to make 223AI then the load and fire technique would have been perfect.