Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-04-2015, 02:11 AM
Supporting Member

reading the title I thought it was going to be about one of my sports.... We have been invaded by carpenter bees some years ago... They are fast but like to hover close to you... Good fun to take to the yard with 38, 44, or 45 shotshells and blast those lil fellers... One year I went through so many I ran short on the Speer capsules so learned how to make my own wads and roll crimp the top one... Worked fine and cheap too.

Been a few years since we had many large grasshoppers but the bee self degense was about as much fun as shooting XL grasshoppers with the air rifles... Of course getting doubles with one pellet while they are mating was always a bonas.

Oh and the 45 LC SSC work great in a full choke 410 and taking out an entire hornet nest and the hornets with a pupil of the trigger...
Old 06-04-2015, 03:51 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Gary:
For kicks sometime, just charge with a primer and press the case mouth into some wax. It splatters too and don't make the bang either, much cheaper yet. IF you really want to learn something, fill loaded 12ga hull with molten wax then drop a couple marbles in it and shoot a tie fence post from about 20-30 feet. Be worth a picture here when you do.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 06-04-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post
reading the title I thought it was going to be about one of my sports.... We have been invaded by carpenter bees some years ago... They are fast but like to hover close to you... Good fun to take to the yard with 38, 44, or 45 shotshells and blast those lil fellers... One year I went through so many I ran short on the Speer capsules so learned how to make my own wads and roll crimp the top one... Worked fine and cheap too.

Been a few years since we had many large grasshoppers but the bee self degense was about as much fun as shooting XL grasshoppers with the air rifles... Of course getting doubles with one pellet while they are mating was always a bonas.

Oh and the 45 LC SSC work great in a full choke 410 and taking out an entire hornet nest and the hornets with a pupil of the trigger...

There is a mill dot "Leapers" air gun scope, 2-7 and 3-9X that focuses from 3 yards to infinite. It is called "The Bug Buster" - I have one on a 25fpe PCP .22 - bit overkill for June Bugs and spiders, but it works.

Gary- further to the cheap (er) to load scenario, a .444 Marlin case, loaded with 12gr. of Unique, + .410 wad (or not) and 1/2 ounce of #8's, .44 case check crimped over the end, patterned better than store-bought shells in my daughters .410's.

Last edited by Daryl; 06-04-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter700 View Post
We have to get you out in the Gopher patch if you like to giggle a lot!! Skippy is pure entertainment!

Ah ahahahahah!

Just dumped the brass can and put in a new box of ammo in the truck, only 500 rounds left in the box I opened May 1, when I got home. I buy my 17HMR by the case and a case hold 4 boxes, and 1 box holds 2000 rounds.

Bit slow this year, training new wife to be a gopher shooter. You know the training is going well when she uses her finger gun to shoot gophers along the road on the way out to the gopher patch...she giggles all the way!

I have Savage 17HMR as a house gun for company to use, and she now refers to it as, "my gun".
Old 06-04-2015, 07:08 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to SShooterZ
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeld View Post
I tried a fly at about 2-3 feet once with a .38!
No clue where the fly went, but, the target was blown apart. Oh well!
Totally made me laugh! LOL

Hit a fly at 50 yards with a .22LR once. Felt pretty accomplished myself.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:48 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
Ah ahahahahah!

Just dumped the brass can and put in a new box of ammo in the truck, only 500 rounds left in the box I opened May 1, when I got home. I buy my 17HMR by the case and a case hold 4 boxes, and 1 box holds 2000 rounds.

Bit slow this year, training new wife to be a gopher shooter. You know the training is going well when she uses her finger gun to shoot gophers along the road on the way out to the gopher patch...she giggles all the way!

I have Savage 17HMR as a house gun for company to use, and she now refers to it as, "my gun".
A few years ago, my wife wouldn't let me go prairie dogin by myself.
I got the guns out at home for her to learn to shoot.
She come out of the house with a blanket.
I set the 22 rifle up on the table and she folded the blanket up to protect her shoulder.
I tried to tell her she didn't need that. She shot once and then had a good laugh at her self.
When we got to the prairie dog town. She shot one and set there and cried.
She got better as the day went on.
A few years later she announced, a family of nine and as she picked them off one at a time, the family is gone was the last report. Kenny

I pride myself in being able to make decisions with little information.