Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-02-2017, 01:14 PM

Default hot rods

The way over bore stuff can get costly for the return you get, an example from my experience is I bought a 22-250 ackley Criterion barrel, it shot ok 3300 FPS (75AMax) beat the heck out the Lapua brass (primer pockets)

I cut the barrel and die off made it a 22 Dasher, it would do 3200-3250 (6BR brass) (same 75 AMax) A tack driver.
I've about used up my third 600 box of 75 Amax's and still going strong. with the original 50 pieces of brass.

BUT; I wouldn't trade the fun I've had with my 17-223 AI or my 6.5-284 for a few bucks, so go for it.

I guess the cost is a matter of perspective . Good luck with your project. sgtg out
Old 05-02-2017, 02:55 PM

Won't know until you know, but I'd be leery of the 53 Vmax at warp speed on coyote. I know, there are exceptions, lots of exceptions maybe, but my experience has been that Vmax in general are consistently inconsistent (a nice way of saying piss poor) coyote killers.

The JLK 52 might be a good backup plan.

I don't think I'm likely to go down this road again, have all the toys I need to last a lot longer than I'll be alive. But, a Big Twenty-Two with a moderate/slow twist for mid weights would probably be what I'd do next. If I was gonna. But I ain't...

To each his own, and whatever a fella has fun with, or whatever meets his criteria, I'm all for it. But I've no use for the fast twist, heavy for caliber stuff, when it comes to coyote hunting. Offers me no useful advantage or asset vs. light bullets and slow twist, only disadvantage. But, I call coyotes, too.

- DAA

Last edited by DAA; 05-02-2017 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Fixed one typo, but prolly missed more...
Old 05-02-2017, 03:35 PM

Default Just something different...

Agreed that their are far more reasonable options out there...guess I just like something a little different, probably why I like wildcats in general as do most of us....
Old 05-02-2017, 03:42 PM

I think the 22/243 is a fine case, with either slow twist or fast twist barrel. Lots of brass and bullets around. Pretty good speed. What is not to like really. Tis hard on barrels to some degree, but we find all kinds of rifle shooters, kinda like choosing cars I reckon.

One day I coulda bought a set of 22/284 dies for twenty bucks, did buy the sister set in 220 AI. Just not gotten into the 284 case yet I guess.

I always found myself chasing the 220 swift in this area. I finally built a 220 AI on a pre64 Winchester with a Shilen 5.5 contour barrel. Barrel is old school, but what I had, a 14 twist. Does it for me where I get to shoot. Wearing out a barrel in whatever time would be a great thing for me living where I do.

My old neighbor used a 300 H&H for coyotes, a one rifle man, he knew how to use it.

I have always had a yearn for a 224 Clark, but do not have the reamer........yet............life is short you know.

The big 22's are a good thing to experience and enjoy. Toys are toys, kinda its about how it makes you feel seems like.

I have come to have an appreciation for the 25-06, flat shooting and hits with authority. Fooling around with a 6mm-06 now, just put it together; thought about the 22-06 but the 6mm-06 reamer was on closeout.

Maybe will have to order up the Clark reamer..............

Last edited by rick w.; 05-02-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:20 PM
Supporting Member

I couldn't agree more about the V-Max comments on coyotes. They were designed for rapid expansion on small critters like Pd's.

There are much better options available if you're looking to save the fur. If you just want to kill coyotes and leave them laying they will work, but they are still far from being a better consistent performing option even for that.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 05-03-2017, 12:27 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolineman View Post
What bullet are you running at those speeds...?
Sorry, 80 grain A-Max.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:40 AM

Default 80 gr. Amax..

Do you have any issues with the bullets coming apart?
Old 05-03-2017, 11:29 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolineman View Post
Do you have any issues with the bullets coming apart?
No, I have never lost an A-Max. Now the BlitzKings are another story...
Old 05-11-2017, 06:42 AM

Default Thanks MrMajestic

good info across the board.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:19 AM

Quote "Has anyone tried a SLOW twist in this or maybe even a 22-6mm? "

Some years back I had version of 224 Clark/22-6mm improved nocked up on a BSA with a 1 in 8.5 twist running mollyed 80 grn JLK's at 3450 fps. Barrel life is short so only use it as my windy day gun now to save the barrel. Will still pop the first bullet in a 1 1/2" disc @ 200 when checking the zero.
Fun gun but would not recommend it for Pd's even though it got me in the 500 yard club many years back. More of a fox / coyote gun.

Last edited by dogfox1; 05-12-2017 at 07:31 PM.