Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2017, 12:19 AM

An appropriately sized steel ball glued on the end of a small tube and a dab of good lapping compound does wonders for crowns with a chamfer. Start ~220 grit work up to 400+.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:41 PM
Supporting Member

PTG makes crowning tool with appropriate brass mandrels. I have shorten many barrels and re-crowned with it, by hand, and have even bettered accuracy on many with never a loss. Just my humble experience...
Old 07-30-2017, 04:55 AM

https://4drentals.com/product/muzzle-facing-tools/

I used this to fix up a miscut crown on a Cz527 Varmint model I owned. Use plenty of cutting oil and clean the barrel often so you don't scratch up the rifling with the cuttings and it works very well!
Old 07-30-2017, 05:27 AM

I don't understand how I can use any kind of a tool with a pilot that fits inside the bore. I figure a snug spinning pilot is going to wear down or scratch the bore lands.

Probably any kind of a screw with a round head on it (brass or steel) with lapping compound would do the trick if I drill and spin it on the end of the bore for a long enough time.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:13 PM

Pilot bushing doesn't rotate in the bore, reamer or tool rotates in the pilot bushing. They don't scratch unless you pick one that is too tight, and that is from going in and out.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:12 PM

Default Any simple fix for barrel crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerfire View Post
I don't understand how I can use any kind of a tool with a pilot that fits inside the bore. I figure a snug spinning pilot is going to wear down or scratch the bore lands.

Probably any kind of a screw with a round head on it (brass or steel) with lapping compound would do the trick if I drill and spin it on the end of the bore for a long enough time.
You can save yourself a lot of worry and see what is needed, plus view some of the videos available, showing what and how to service the crown on a barrel, Centerfire. Brownell's, for one, has the tools and instructions, which are not at all complicated. Bill K
Old 07-31-2017, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrocMax View Post
Pilot bushing doesn't rotate in the bore, reamer or tool rotates in the pilot bushing. They don't scratch unless you pick one that is too tight, and that is from going in and out.
Ahhh....ok that makes sense. By just looking at a picture of the reamer, I couldn't tell that the whole thing wasn't one solid piece that spins. Now I got it. Thanks.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:25 PM

For crowning, I have a lot of faith in the nice lathe and proper cutter. That said, gotta have access to such in some form or another. Lathes and experience can get expensive to the user.

Next, one might consider a piloted specialty reamer. Bushings can be had in any size you wish. Knowing the right size bushing to order for most is the issue if kinda sensitive to such. Not overly inexpensive, but do a nice job with patience.

The grease with fine grit is an old method. I have never done it myself; as a lathe sits in the garage; just the way it happened here. It would be hard for me to put a steel screw head to a crown, remembering that barrel steel is pretty soft. Any burr on the harder surface will mark thru the compound I am fairly sure.

All in all, one might consider shooting the rifle as is and see the results. Does it allow a q-tip to pass without fliers off the q-tip?. Think I would still shoot it first and rely on research if it does not shoot up to expectations.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:41 PM
Supporting Member

Default crowning....

have you shot this rifle yet and tested for accuracy? Scratches inside bore don't always affect accuracy unless possibly at the crown itself.
Shoot it first.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan in GA View Post
have you shot this rifle yet and tested for accuracy? Scratches inside bore don't always affect accuracy unless possibly at the crown itself.
Shoot it first.
The advice by George, Hal, Danny and now you, is proly correct. It's a superficial machine mark below the surface that likely means nothing. Bore is whistle clean otherwise. No, I haven't fired it yet, and decided not to. Heart's just not into a 221Fireball. I'll put time & money into this stock & action later by making it a 20Vartarg I've always wanted. Thanks again guys.

Last edited by Centerfire; 08-01-2017 at 05:08 PM.