Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-01-2017, 07:15 PM

Default .20 Longshot?

I have a varmint rifle with .20 Longshot engraved on the barrel. Any information on a wildcat with this name?

It's a high quality custom with an XP100 action in a laminated rifle stock and a very nice trigger. It has a custom bolt with Sako extractor and a .220 Russian bolt face. I have a seat die and some model cartridges and the round looks a lot like a Lapua 220 Russian case necked down to .20 with a sharper shoulder.

Last edited by HighWall; 10-01-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:28 PM

Another name for the 20 Beggs maybe
Old 10-02-2017, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camel View Post
Another name for the 20 Beggs maybe
Good thought, but after finding a seating die and sample cases this afternoon, it appears it's a .220 Russian case with 40° shoulder. The Beggs doesn't change the shoulder angle or body taper. I have a few Beggs rifles, but this has the .220 Russian body taper but with 40° shoulder necked down to .20.

The previous owner liked the .220 Russian/40° as a benchrest cartridge for a few years and must have chambered the rifle as such but with .20cal neck. For sizing, I think he must have used one of his .220Russian/40° bushing dies with a bushing suitable for .20 cal. For seating, he was using a Redding .20 Vartarg competition seater.

Last edited by HighWall; 10-02-2017 at 01:01 AM.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:59 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

IF he's still around, go talk things over.
IF he's not, you missed the chance.
If you can't figure out what you have.
Do a chamber cast to compare with.

have fun! Sounds like a decent cartridge.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 10-02-2017, 03:58 PM
Supporting Member

George's advice is the way to go; some of those 40* shoulder PPC's use standard headspace and some have the shoulder moved forward so you will have to determine what your headspace is. Did you get any fired brass? That would be the easiest way to determine what you have.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
George's advice is the way to go; some of those 40* shoulder PPC's use standard headspace and some have the shoulder moved forward so you will have to determine what your headspace is. Did you get any fired brass? That would be the easiest way to determine what you have.
Luckily, I did find some fired brass. Unfortunately, the builder is no longer with us. There was just so much to talk about before he passed...

I initially thought is was a PPC based case, but it has the same body taper as the .220 Russian, not the blown out sides of the PPC, but with a 40° shoulder. My mentor was a gunsmith of great experience and he really loved neck turning and making his own tweaks to all his chamberings. Even the .222's have tight necks. A lot of puzzles to be solved.