Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-22-2017, 08:28 AM
Supporting Member

Here's the two Cairns Gus and Kat out in the back yard. Gus puts up with him, Kat wants to bite holes in him (typical Terrier) and he just keeps chasing the two of em around wanting to play, (typical Airedale).

George when it comes to John Wayne's name there are several answers it seems, all off Google. One is the one I posted above (Marion Robert Morrison) and then there's this one right off Google too.

"Why did they call, John Wayne, The Duke?"
Best Answer: In John Wayne's own words, "There've been a lot of stories about how I got to be called Duke. One was that I played the part of a duke in a school play, which I never did. Sometimes, they even said I was descended from royalty! It was all a lot of rubbish. Hell, the truth is that I was named after a dog!"

John Wayne was born Marion Michael Morrison in Winterset, Iowa. When young Marion was six, the family moved to California, eventually settling in Glendale. Marion delivered newspapers in the morning with his trusty Airedale, Duke. The locale firemen called them "Big Duke" and "Little Duke."

Marion later accepted a full scholarship to play football at the University of Southern California. In the summer of 1926, head coach Howard Jones fixed Duke up with a job as an assistant prop man on the set of a John Ford movie. The rest is history.

I'm betting that's the real version George.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:34 PM
Supporting Member

The Duke was a cool guy in person.

I had the good fortune to have a glass of scotch and converse with him several times while he dined on a burnt steak and downed "several" scotches each evening at the Spring Inn Restaurant in Pagosa Springs, CO during the filming of the movie "The Cowboys". Time frame was ~1971, IIRC, for maybe three weeks duration. The scenes of he and the boys in the film moving cattle with mountains in the background were actually filmed on a ranch just NW of Pagosa that belonged to a friend I had there.

Bruce Dern was a good guy too. Met him in the Pagosa Hardware Store on main street one Saturday afternoon and talked with him several times after that. A very friendly guy. The guy who owned the hardware store was the husband of the math teacher at Pagosa High School. Both great people, too.

John Wayne's double was a tall Italian guy that while in the Duke garb for filming looked just like the John Wayne stereotype. In his street clothes he looked just like some tall Italian guy.......... No facial resemblance at all to John Wayne. In the Duke's traditional clothing with the Duke hat on and a gun belt on, he was a dead wringer..

My biggest memory of the entire event however was the wardrobe lady who ran the costume location set up in the gym at Pagosa HS. She was tall, slender, had blond hair and brown eyes and a bazillion freckles. Incredibly beautiful......she told me one day that she was doing the work she had while hoping to get a movie contract for herself. I never saw her again after they left Pagosa so I guess maybe she retired outfitting actors, or some smart dude married her and took her off to his private island..... She was gorgeous and acted like just a Plain Jane girl next door. I looked for her in movies for years after but she never materialized. For you old timers, think a blond Katherine Ross with all of those incredible freckles. Alas, Mrs. BCB was already my wife at the time so look was all I could do. But, she was fairly foxy back then too....... The older version still is, IMO.............

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 11-23-2017 at 02:59 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:58 PM
Supporting Member

"The Cowboys" was a great movie, loved it. Bruce Dern was no doubt a great guy in person but he sure played a Psychopathic Cowboy to a fare-thee-well in that film!
Anyone that hasn't seen "The Cowboys" owes it to himself to check it out, it and "The Shootist" are two of my favorite John Wayne flicks out of the many favorite John Wayne flicks on my list.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:10 PM

Great pictures, Doug. Thanks for sharing them.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeld View Post
Looks like you've got a curious one, very cute look in that picture.
Was wondering about Gus. Glad you've still got him.

Correction though: Confirm it, as I might be wrong but it sure seems to me
that Wayne's name was: Marion Michael Morrison. In high school i had a g/f with 3m's, we teased about it some. And M&M, Re: Marilyn. Us old guys remember that one.

Thanks for sharing Doug, always enjoy your varmint hunting dog pictures. Gus will train him right.
If you google the Duke up, they say his middle name, given at birth, was Mitchell. Bill K
Old 11-22-2017, 07:06 PM
Supporting Member

I love working dogs...beautiful dog Doug! I'm hoping you hunt him...I hear they make great gun dogs with birds etc. I've never hunted with one but would be interested.

Had an English Beagle (taller, slender harder to find...actually with his instincts still). My grandpa used to use them to hunt before I was born. My beagle lived to be 18 & raised most of my kids. Loved him a ton...but man was he an escape artist.

I've also had a couple of LGD's for the farm. All gone now. They were hybrid Great Pyrenees/ Komondors. Amazing dogs...looked almost like terriers or wolf hound when shaven. Big dogs but gentle giants...great with kids (human & goats) as well as lambs.

I've been hunting upland game the last several years with a full coated liver English Springer Spaniel...hunting stock. (5 yr) I am unbelievably stupid attached to this little girl like no other in my life & her to me. It drives my wife crazy. Lol. She is the family house & watch dog that takes no prisoners if provoked but is gentle with Iittle ones. I have taken her working on the farm, as travel companion, backpacking, hiking & of course hunting. She was the perfect outrigger & trail protector when we used to pack goats in the mountains. She will sit & watch me work for hours on end & never strays far unlike my beagle.

She is a hunting fool since 8 weeks old....great instincts, drive ability & nose....she knows her business & loves it. Calls off when instructed & doesn't hunt for herself. We've hunted Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana & Canada (Alberta). She is fantastic & the smartest dog I've ever owned. We had puppies 2 years ago which sold out before they were even born. Coincidentally, she is actually due again on Sunday...same sire. (The sire is a son of a national field trials champion in Canada & get US.) Lots of fun...I will probably keep one of her pups from her next/last litter 2 years down the road.

Enjoy & take care!

....ZBROJOVKA.......BRNO
Old 11-22-2017, 07:14 PM

Yo Doug, my dog-lovin' buddy!

Glad Duke came home early. I can almost feel your positive energy from here. Nuthin' like a new puppy to liven' things up around the place.

As I mentioned, my granddad fought in WWI with the Brits (Seaforth Highlanders) and always had great Airedale stories to tell, as they had them for guard dogs, and from what he told me, they were "very" effective.

I'm a hound-guy as you know, and my two new Basset Hound pups Ruby and Lily sure are keepin' dad healthy with vigorous walks in the outback daily. Man do I love these girls.

When we come up to pop some rats together, all the pups can meet 'n greet for a jolly good romp in the Montana sunshine (we'll time that event to be snow-free, okay?)

Keep us posted on Duke's adventures, never tire of hearing about a good dog!

Ruby with a fork-horn shed chew....our "Saber Toothed Hound"......

Oh, almost forgot.....I've got almost every movie John Wayne ever made, at least all his cowboy movies. What could be better for a kid that almost never took off his Matell Fanner 50's!
Old 11-22-2017, 08:28 PM

I love all the old John Wayne cowboy movies. Had a huge collection when I was a kid. Cowboys, chism, and sons of Kate elder are a few of my favorite.
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 11-22-2017, 09:38 PM

Default Got a new Airdale pup. He's small caliber now, but he'll end up

Rick. Love that saber tooth hound..
I also liked all of Duke's westerns, the most, however I liked The Quiet Man also. Bill K
Old 11-23-2017, 01:33 AM
Supporting Member

Nice Pup Doug! When growing up the next door neighbor had one, great breed.