Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-01-2017, 05:26 PM

Default Waaaaay overbore but....

Tossing around the idea of a 22-243, 30 degree shoulder. I have seen this round in action with heavier bullets, but for a point blank range coyote round, could it get anymore flat shooting than this with the new 53 gr. Vmax? Been running a few numbers and man this thing is a laser to 500 or so yards. I'm sure it would be quite limited on useful barrel life, but 700-900 rounds could go a long way just hunting with it..

Has anyone tried a SLOW twist in this or maybe even a 22-6mm?
Old 05-01-2017, 05:53 PM

Have a 22-6mm but only ever shot 75gr Bergers in it but it does shoot those extremely well. A 22-243 improved, and there seems to be many different "improved" variants, is pretty much a twin to the 22-6mm but the 22-243 can be used more easily in a SA and you can use Lapua brass with the 22-243 whereas you're stuck with the mediocre stuff that's available for the 6mm.

It's kind of ironic you're asking about shooting lighter bullets in a 22-243 or 22-6mm because just recently we've been thinking about trying some 60 grainers in it just for fun.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:58 PM

Default a screamer....

Just seems with the elevated BC of the new Vmax, 53 grainer, if it'll hold together, well...could be epic if you could get them to group.

I've seen the 75 gr. Amax in action and it kills with authority a loooong ways away on coyotes.

Guess I was just thinking something different. Should feed fine I would think from a mag and if you could get accuracy and 4300-4500 fps out of them ....WOWZA!
Old 05-01-2017, 06:21 PM

Default Waaaay overbore but

\ Both those sound like fun rifle/cartridges, but why not just stick with the tried and true 22-250 AI, less money in cost of dies, etc. and it will shoot right along with those, I believe, especially with t faster twist in the bore. Of course we all want something new too play with, right > Bill K
Old 05-01-2017, 06:37 PM

Default Bill K...

Basically what it boils down to...a new toy! Could always go for a 240 Weatherby necked down....now that's a TOY!
Old 05-01-2017, 06:44 PM

I think if I was going to use a slower twist barrel for medium weight 22cal bullets, but still wanted a hot rod that was a little different, I'd go straight 22-243 instead of 22-243 improved or even 22-250 improved. You'd still have plenty of case capacity, slightly more than the 22-250 improved, but there would be zero fire forming involved and dies are readily available for a 22-243. Nothing wrong with a 22-6mm either, it's just you get to use much better brass with a 22-243.

Now, if a SUPER hot rod is what you want, you could always do a 22-284.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:57 PM

Default Fireforming...

Yes, you'd still have plenty of capacity with the 22-243....Lapua brass with feeding....

The 22-284 would be an absolute fire breathing monster....I've heard a few horror stories with them and accuracy..
Old 05-01-2017, 07:47 PM

Default Waaay overbore but

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolineman View Post
Yes, you'd still have plenty of capacity with the 22-243....Lapua brass with feeding....

The 22-284 would be an absolute fire breathing monster....I've heard a few horror stories with them and accuracy..
They all can be made accurate, but the 22-284, and some others have too short a barrel/throat life. Can become costly to keep replacing those barrels so often. Bill K
Old 05-01-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
They all can be made accurate, but the 22-284, and some others have too short a barrel/throat life. Can become costly to keep replacing those barrels so often. Bill K
In all honesty, I think the 22-284 is MUCH better suited for running the heaviest for caliber bullets like the 90gr Berger VLD's and with the right setup could probably easily launch them at 3600fps plus.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:59 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
In all honesty, I think the 22-284 is MUCH better suited for running the heaviest for caliber bullets like the 90gr Berger VLD's and with the right setup could probably easily launch them at 3600fps plus.
Without a doubt........... Some folks get so excited about shooting mega-heavy for caliber bullets in their pet cartridge with a fast twist barrel like a 22-250AI that they fail to realize that suddenly they have a rainbow-like trajectory at extended ranges.

If you want to use heavy for caliber bullets, use enough boiler space to do it efficiently. Short barrel life is just part of the game.

I own a 22-6MM and it is laser fast/laser flat at normal open country coyote ranges with 60 grain Sierrs HP's. I had it set up for these bullets and the performance on coyotes has convinced me that I have no need to go heavier for coyotes and on down. I know I could go heavier without sacrificing trajectory, but I have no desire to do so.

If I feel that I need a heavier bullet for larger game, I'll simply jump up to a 6mm or a 243 Win and leave my 8" twist 22-250AI at home. And that choice won't cause me to have a lesser chance to hit what I'm shooting at, even at extended ranges.

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 05-01-2017 at 09:09 PM.