Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-28-2017, 10:38 PM

Default How about Pacnor or Hart doing a complete 20 Vartarg barreled action?

Was shopping to see who would flute, ream, and install their sporter contour barrel onto my Rem700 221 rifle action for a 20Vartarg sporter. Many well know barrel makers don't offer a 17 or a 20cal barrel, or, they don't do the gunsmithing. (Lilja, Bartlein and Brux are a no-go, while Krieger offers the 20cal barrel & gunsmithing but doesn't offer a 20Vartarg reamer/chamber.)

Only Hart and PacNor make the 20cal barrel while also having a 20 Vartarg reamer, and also offer you the gunsmithing. However, Hart's websight indicates 9 or 10 months, while Jay at PacNor informed me about 2.5 to 3 months. Both are button rifled, so no difference there. I already have a 20Tactical with a PacNor barrel shooting 1/4" 5 -shot groups....so I know the things can shoot! (inspite of Krieger being preferred for cut barrels) My only question is, how consistent and good is Pac-Nor gunsmithing? And for a Vartarg, can I just accept any reamer the barrel maker provides? However, I'm thinking whatever 20Vartarg reamer they use will likely be a standard Grizzly or PT&G chambering anyway.

Your thoughts or advice?
Old 07-28-2017, 11:08 PM
Supporting Member

Had PacNor chamber a Salvage and a Remington 788. Both are fantastic shooters. What I like about the barrel manufacturer doing the chambering is that should you get a turd both the barrel and chambering are covered. I have a big name cut rifled tube going back and I must eat the $$$$ to re-chamber which can cost as much as the tube, depending on the Smith! JMHO
Old 07-28-2017, 11:48 PM
Supporting Member

If you are concerned about the specs of their reamer, have them send a copy of the reamer print to you. If you don't like those specs, I would advise you to order your own reamer built to your specs. It will cost you some exta dough, but you will have a reamer you can use many times.

NRA Life Member
Old 07-29-2017, 12:11 AM

A vote here for Pac-Nor. I had a Hart chamber/rebarrel a few years back and after multiple "it'll be done dates" I finally got it after 13 months. On top of that the barrel was a dud. I have three Pac-Nors, all shooters.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMajestic View Post
Had PacNor chamber a Salvage and a Remington 788. Both are fantastic shooters. What I like about the barrel manufacturer doing the chambering is that should you get a turd both the barrel and chambering are covered. I have a big name cut rifled tube going back and I must eat the $$$$ to re-chamber which can cost as much as the tube, depending on the Smith! JMHO
That sounds encouraging.

Comparing apples with apples, PacNor is in the $625 range complete with barrel (no flutes), Hart is in the $715 range complete (no flutes), and my local smith is in the $900 range with barrel (no flutes)....plus I must supply the $150 reamer to him which makes a $1,050 price tag. The $625 is way more affordable to me for a barrel installation.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:25 AM

Choose your reamer carefully. What ever barrel you choose, it is only as good as the reamer, or in your case the chamber cut by a reamer.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerfire View Post
That sounds encouraging.

Comparing apples with apples, PacNor is in the $625 range complete with barrel (no flutes), Hart is in the $715 range complete (no flutes), and my local smith is in the $900 range with barrel (no flutes)....plus I must supply the $150 reamer to him which makes a $1,050 price tag. The $625 is way more affordable to me for a barrel installation.
Check other smiths, assuming a premium barrel for $350, in my experience, that's more than double what others are charging for a re-barrel job.
Here's a smith that will do the job for $200.00

http://www.greensrifles.com/Services.html
Old 07-29-2017, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
If you are concerned about the specs of their reamer, have them send a copy of the reamer print to you. If you don't like those specs, I would advise you to order your own reamer built to your specs. It will cost you some exta dough, but you will have a reamer you can use many times.
I suppose I can ask for the specs, but I have a sneaking suspicion that if the specs aren't purposely stored on a cheat sheet at their desk they may not want to bother walking back into their shop to dig it up. In that case I still might just have faith that their chambering will be a standard kindler bore and capable of good handloads. But yes, it will be a good thing to know what kind of brass case it's based on.... (Remington or Lapua) ....and I'll be sure to at least inquire. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17tbs View Post
Choose your reamer carefully. What ever barrel you choose, it is only as good as the reamer, or in your case the chamber cut by a reamer.
Yes...on 2nd though, I guess I should not get sloppy and try to save $165 that way. ($150 plus shipping) If PacNor or Hart can't provide the specs, then I guess I should buy one and provide it. I would hope though that perhaps PacNor does enough business that they are use to ordering new reamers every few moths or so when it wears out.... so that they know the specs of what they are always reordering. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Patrol View Post
Check other smiths, assuming a premium barrel for $350, in my experience, that's more than double what others are charging for a re-barrel job.
Here's a smith that will do the job for $200.00

http://www.greensrifles.com/Services.html
Bob Green is excellent I hear....just as Greg Tannel is. And I probably would not have to wait as long for BobGreen as I would with Tannel. (??) Perhaps because Bob Green has done so many small caliber chamberings, he might also have a Vartarg reamer or two with specs that I can use. The only thing I'm a little leary about with sending my gun off to a 1-man operation is if something goes wrong, they are usually more likely to make excuses. I'm not saying Green would do that, but I expect that less with a company like PacNor if they are supplying the barrel. There's less of a chance for me to be told "Send it back to the other guy. It's not my work."

The reamer availability may still be a deciding factor who I go with if Green has it and PacNor doesn't know the specs and doesn't care to find out. Thanks.