Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-15-2020, 05:49 PM

A cousin of mine bought a .243 WSSM, a Browning, I think. He has a very difficult time finding ammo for it (he's not online, hasn't ever been online, and will never be online), and he lives in Nowhereworthmentioning, and WallyWorld doesn't carry it. He is a soft touch to any gun salesman, and will often buy stuff no one else would, and then wonders why the ammo costs so much, and is so hard to find.
He's too hard to teach, and lives too far away from me, to give him any advice. I'd have warned him about it.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:53 PM

Sometimes I think the avg. Joe is what drives the shooting market and most guys just shot out barrels too quick with them probably. Didn't they offer a 55 gr. out of the 223 WSSM that was going about 4000ish? I don't think there are enough serious shooters/reloaders much less experimenters like many here are what drives big markets. I was seriously thinking about chambering the 223 WSSM in an XP-100 coyote sniping pistol with 18ish" barrel and some of the bigger polymer-tipped VLD's out of it, and just buying 500 WSSM cases for the life of the barrel and then some.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:46 PM
Supporting Member

Maybe the 'spherical combustion chamber' doesn't apply with nitrocellulose the way it does with hydrocarbons which don't have their own oxygen molecules and have to mix with ambient air to go bang.

Just my snarky view of the WSSM concept.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:24 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

One of the elk hunters in our bunch had either a 7 or 300 in that short
case. Asked me the second night how to open the action as it had locked up
and couldn't be opened. I couldn't get it open. I don't recall now if he'd
fired it or not. Bolt wouldn't budge and I didn't think he'd go for me taking a
hammer to it.

In the summer before he asked me to get dies for it so I could reload for him.
Believe I still have the dies and he shit canned the rifle and got a .300 win
like most of the rest of us in camp. Left me stuck with the dies never used yet.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 02-16-2020 at 03:26 AM.
Old 02-19-2020, 01:56 AM

I can not remember where I read this but here goes: Out of the three wssm cases, only the 223wssm offered any real performance gain over the established cartridges in that bore size. The 223wssm offered better than 220 Swift performance in a small package, but was difficult to reload to the same pressure as the factory safely. The 243 & 25wssm offered no gains.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:08 PM

I didn't know they were hyped as having special performance, spherical combustion or whatever. I thought the whole point was to be short; which is the 'S' in WSM, RSAUM, WSSM, etc. In this I think they are great and live up to the name. It is a way to maximize the performance of an action originally designed around the 308. So the length is constrained by 308 magazines and the diameter is constrained by the existing actions. You can't go much bigger than 0.55" without safety or reliability concerns.

Sure you can do the same things with other cartridges, but they will be longer. Try fitting 180-class bullets in a magazine with a 7-08; this works fine: