Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 06-24-2020, 12:04 PM

Default 20 Practical brass ?

HOW do you trim your newly formed 20P brass? Do you trim the 223 brass short before sizing down, or trim to length after necking down? What trimming tools do you use. Newbie wants to know? I've thought of both ways mentioned above but I'm just entering the 20P arena, so.... Looking for suggestions to make it easier to do.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:24 PM
Supporting Member

Never had a 20P but, if it was me, I'd neck down then full length size THEN trim as needed BUT, you're better off knowing the actual MEASURED length of your chamber. Most reamers cut to about .020 LONGER than the recommended MAX length length. Know that in advance and once your brass is cut, you may go a long time before trimming is needed.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:49 PM
Supporting Member

Like NCM said, but my procedure would be to measure chamber OAL, then neck the brass down & size, check length of brass against measured chamber OAL, then trim as needed before FF. I would bet that no trimming would be required before FF, and there is a good chance that no trimming will be required after FF. Generally, chambers are a bit long probably for safety reasons. Actual measurements are the very best way to go, though. Get one of the little spuds from Sinclair/Brownell's and make up a gage case, then measure your chamber's OAL and go from there.
Old 06-24-2020, 03:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

odds are the cases will be short after forming and fireforming but I would measure to be sure. the reamer manufacture should have the reamer specs. neat round and a very effective round. it would be my choice over the 204 rug because of cheap brass that is everywhere. I like the lake city.
Old 06-24-2020, 03:40 PM

I'm down to two 20Ps now but I trim to length after initial sizing, then trim again after the first firing. I've had some that needed trimmed after the second firing but I check all of them after each firing.

Edit: Much depends on the brand of brass. Some seem to stretch more than others. I use Remington and IMI. The IMI holds size better.

Last edited by Hog Patrol; 06-24-2020 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:04 PM

Thanks for the replies.

WHAT tool(s) do you use to trim the brass, Lee or WFT or ????
Old 06-25-2020, 12:37 AM

I have a Hornady, but any will work with a .204 pilot.
Old 06-25-2020, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMinTN View Post
Thanks for the replies.

WHAT tool(s) do you use to trim the brass, Lee or WFT or ????
I use a WFT.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:31 PM

I use a Lee Quick Trim in 223, I have a turret press with a number of them set up in it so I just have to turn it to the cartridge I want to trim. The 223 will work for my 20P, 223 and 6x45mm as here are no pilots to change.

A Wilson or C&H will work the same, I have one set up to trim my 204R, 22-204, 6mm-204 and 25-204, no holes left on the turret press.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:10 PM

The reamer drawings I have seen for 20p show 1.760" case length, I haven't had any 556 or 223 end up longer than that after necking down. Most seem to be 1.750 and slightly shorter. I have fired some several times in my home assembled 20p upper and haven't trimmed any,yet.