Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-08-2009, 10:57 PM
Supporting Member

Default Bedding Question?

On a laminated stock do use use pillars or not and why?

Tom
Old 12-08-2009, 11:20 PM

Default Tom -- a timely question

as Boyds has just lowered their laminated stock prices across the board, so I was thinking of getting several of their laminated stocks for projects I have had on my mind. I have two Boyds laminated stocks so far and am about to glass bed one and was wondering if it should be pillar bedded. The wood seems very hard, it does not seem likely it would compress, so I was thinking that the glass bedding work to comform the stock to the action would be enough. I am interested to see what people on the site think.

Charlie
Old 12-09-2009, 01:23 AM

Tom,

I have several laminate stocks that I have pillar bedded. As for the why portion I just figured it wasn't that much work to go the additional step and it wouldn't hurt. Never had any issues.

Bryan
Old 12-09-2009, 02:39 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
as Boyds has just lowered their laminated stock prices across the board, so I was thinking of getting several of their laminated stocks for projects I have had on my mind. I have two Boyds laminated stocks so far and am about to glass bed one and was wondering if it should be pillar bedded. The wood seems very hard, it does not seem likely it would compress, so I was thinking that the glass bedding work to comform the stock to the action would be enough. I am interested to see what people on the site think.

Charlie
Looks like not to many people use laminated stocks.

I'm kinda with you Charlie, I think a laminated stock is plenty strong to for go the pillars.

Tom
Old 12-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Supporting Member

I have several laminate BR style stocks and have both pillar and glass bedded the actions in them. The laminate is strong indeed but is prone to moisture and extreme temperature changes. Having them sealed with paint (dupont clear coat) keeps them from moving around as much as they would without it. The pillar and glass bedding just solidifies any problem that you might encounter without the pillars and glass. Kimber feels the same way as they both pillar and glass bed all of there laminate stocks.

You can drop Bill Shehane an e-mail with the same question, he builds laminate BR stocks exclusively and has alot of insight on the subject.

www.scopeusout.com
Old 12-09-2009, 06:11 PM

Yes, pillars.

s.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:57 PM

the reason for pillars is that stocks compress. even synthetic materials, especially the crap nylon stuff factories often use. using pillars eliminates point of impact shifts due to changes in screw tension. this is especially handy if you take the barreled action out of the stock for whatever reason.