Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2009, 06:35 PM
Supporting Member

Default .17 cleaning rod?

Are there any out there that maybe don't bend so easy?

Tom
Old 09-26-2009, 06:44 PM
Supporting Member

Neil Jones makes a steel rod thats very good and beats any Dewey or Pro shot I've used. I haven't used the Ivy but hear they'r excellent too.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:05 PM

Tipton Carbon.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:57 PM

While I agree with Tim, the Tiptons will bend easily, however after trying most 17 rods on the market today the Tipton is still my choice because its not made of steel. Coated rods sure work but very soon they get bare spots exposing the steel and that bothers me. If using quality 17 pactches, those form James Calhoon come to mind, there is little difficulty in pushing the Tipton down 17 bores if not overly dirty. My 17AH's all shoot 1680 which can be somewhat dirty compared to N-120 but if using SPL and cleaning within 70 to 80 rounds or less the Tipton works well. In its use, don't push just from the handle but use the other hand to both guide and support the Tipton into the bore guide thus adding support to the rod. Using this method, I have yet to brake the Tipton rod in three years or so of use. If patching out the initial "gunk or fowling" then wetting the bore a second time, I can use nylon or bronze brushes with ease and no breakage so far. That initial push of fowling has enough resistance to create to much flex but once that's removed things slide well.

When they call the roll in the Senate," "the Senators do not know whether to answer "Present" or "Not guilty." -- Theodore Roosevelt
Old 09-27-2009, 01:43 AM
Administrator

Default The 17 cal Tipton I had...

... had the bronze socket at the end larger than the carbon rod. This caused the bronze socket to grab the muzzle when it was drawn back from pushing it through the barrel.

I asked to send it back and they just refunded my money. Lots of guys seem to like them, but that flaw made it unacceptable to me.

Alex
Old 09-27-2009, 02:13 AM

I know all you big buck guys will laugh at me, but the best I have had is a one piece steel blue coated KleenBore which cost me all of about $14.00. The coating is thick, and even if you shave some off on a sharp edge some place there is enough not to show the steel. The rod material has a lot of spring in it, even if it bends some it does not take a set, I have used it for three years now. Try one, for $14.00 you can't be hurt too bad, and if the coating comes off, just start over with a new one. Larry
Old 09-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Supporting Member

Default Alex, If you don't

like the Tipton 17 Caliber rods, Which one do you like? I've tried several and so far, they all want to take a set when they bend. I have bought several....I started using a nylon brush for the first several passes and then go to a bronze brush or patches. Any thoughts or suggestions??? George
Old 09-27-2009, 04:43 PM
Supporting Member

Default 17cal rods

I'm like 17 Shooter, I've got a stack of 17 rods leaning up in the corner, including Proshot, Dewey, Bore Tech, and Gunslick. All have taken a set when bent. I thought the Tipton Carbon rods were prone to shatter, have they fixed that trait? The Proshot served me the best until a buddy borrowed it, now it's toast.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:03 PM
Supporting Member

The thing I'd question is the graphite rods abrasive??????? I was checking some old arrow shafts and they seem they could be, how does the cleaning rod surface differ from an arrow shaft?
Old 09-27-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
... had the bronze socket at the end larger than the carbon rod. This caused the bronze socket to grab the muzzle when it was drawn back from pushing it through the barrel.

I asked to send it back and they just refunded my money. Lots of guys seem to like them, but that flaw made it unacceptable to me.

Alex
Alex, yours is a valid point but not representitive. If possible, check the ferule fit of the Tiptons, they can be off. They can be trimmed to be seamless in about 5 minutes if off, I know you should not ave to but it is less PIA than shipping back