Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2009, 08:53 PM
Supporting Member

Default Wondering why?

I was reading an article in the Dec/08 issue of "Varmint Hunter" by M.L. McPherson on the .17 Fireball. He was using a Rem Model 7, blued with the walnut stock and he said that if the rifle was his to keep he would get the bolt modified to allow the use of pistol primers by turning down the firing pin and have the bolt bushed, but he doesn't say why he'd want to use pistol primers. Why?

Tom
Old 12-16-2009, 09:08 PM
Supporting Member

Just another way to use what you have I would guess. Pistol primers ignite powder just the same as Small and Large rifle primers do. I would guess if a man had lots of pistol primers there would be a need. As far as consistancy goes I wouldn't consider the pistol primer in anything bigger than the Hornet case.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:43 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_bentley View Post
Just another way to use what you have I would guess. Pistol primers ignite powder just the same as Small and Large rifle primers do. I would guess if a man had lots of pistol primers there would be a need. As far as consistancy goes I wouldn't consider the pistol primer in anything bigger than the Hornet case.
I don't think pistol primers can take the pressure, that's why I was wondering. Unless he would be shooting at a lower velocity.

Tom
Old 12-17-2009, 09:43 PM
Supporting Member

Exactly Tom.
Look into the SAAMI specs for most small rifles and also pistols. The .221 Fire Ball for example is 52,000PSI, most hand guns are many thousands of PSI different than that in maximum.
Bush the primers all you want, which I do regularly anyway but your still not making a pistol primer safe for a 55,000 PSI load IMHO anyway.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:36 PM
Administrator

Default Mic ends up making...

... conclusions on data quite often that is not justified. Upsets me when folks "research" a project to write up, not being really familiar with the subject beforehand.

Note that McFearson is an "ever issue" paid contributor to TVHM. Means that to keep that position he must submit one or more pieces each issue. While I usually read and enjoy all of the articles in the mag, and in fact usually enjoy Mic's stuff, it does sometimes show a lack of understanding of the subject.

This forum is a much better source of info than just about any other place available.

Alex
Old 12-17-2009, 10:43 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
... conclusions on data quite often that is not justified. Upsets me when folks "research" a project to write up, not being really familiar with the subject beforehand.

Note that McFearson is an "ever issue" paid contributor to TVHM. Means that to keep that position he must submit one or more pieces each issue. While I usually read and enjoy all of the articles in the mag, and in fact usually enjoy Mic's stuff, it does sometimes show a lack of understanding of the subject.

This forum is a much better source of info than just about any other place available.

Alex
Maybe its just me, but it seems like the quality of articles written by regulars and semi-regulars in TVHM went south about 5 years ago.

IMO, one of the regular writers should begin every article he writes with the words, "One upon a time...."

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 12-18-2009, 12:20 AM

Ive sent one of my bolts off to Gre-tan for the bush and firing pin job. I have issues with a load that has cratering in one gun and not the next gun and believe it is JUST the fire pin hole causing this. We will see if Im right.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post
Maybe its just me, but it seems like the quality of articles written by regulars and semi-regulars in TVHM went south about 5 years ago.

IMO, one of the regular writers should begin every article he writes with the words, "One upon a time...."

JMO - BCB
Ya think?
Maybe that explain's why this charter members VHA magazines stopped being delivered to him in about 2004. Big box of mags out in storage someplace and they haven't been reread since.

I bitched about it to Ned (who I had a history with) several times, then to John (who I didn't), both to no avail before dropping my membership. When Ned hired John it became all about the money, where at first it is was also about the people and the sport.

IMO even some of the early regular writers were a waste of space.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:29 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinFresno View Post
Ive sent one of my bolts off to Gre-tan for the bush and firing pin job. I have issues with a load that has cratering in one gun and not the next gun and believe it is JUST the fire pin hole causing this. We will see if Im right.
I'm sure with rifle primers that sending it to GT will solve your problem.

I'd hate to think it would allow the use of pistol primers with high pressure spike cartridges, however.... Yikes..!!

Larry:

They don't get my money any more either. So far I haven't noticed anything that I'm missing out on..

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 12-18-2009, 02:35 AM
Supporting Member

I still miss the old format version of "Small Caliber News" .
They had guys in there like some fella named Alex, a guy named Dan C., Bob Davidsomething, lottsa great talent . Those I still keep as text. Dog eared, book marks in em, greasy little finger prints on em etc. VHA was a one year hook up with no renewal.
The only magazine I subscribe to now is on the internet, it's called "Saubier.com" .