Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2009, 04:14 PM
Supporting Member

Default RCBS Die Question?

I'm wondering about the RCBS Competition Seater Die for the .17 Fireball and whether you have to buy an extended shellholder for it? I looked on Midways site and it said it does not come with a shellholder. I remember having one of these seater dies years ago in .223 and it came with one. Just thought one of you guys might know.

Thanks, Tom
Old 12-20-2009, 05:27 PM

Default RCBS Competition Seater

Tom,

I have these for several cartridges and none came with a shellholder, extended or otherwise.

Gary
Old 12-20-2009, 06:00 PM
Supporting Member

If you mean a shell holder thats taller for the short case.... no need.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:55 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in Illinois View Post
Tom,

I have these for several cartridges and none came with a shellholder, extended or otherwise.

Gary
Gary, you got me into digging into boxes of stuff and I found the RCBS Competition seater, but it's for the 22/250, not the .223. And, it has an extended shellholder. There would be no way you could use a standard shellhollder, the case would not go far enough up in the die to seat a bullet. Remember this is an older die, many years old.

I think from looking at pics of the newer model that RCBS used a way longer seater stem in these. Maybe I'm wrong.

Tom
Old 12-20-2009, 07:59 PM

Default Seater die.

I have one. I use it for .222, .17 Remington, and .17 Fireball. I have two different anvils for the bullets and yes it came with an extended shell holder. I wondered if it would work on the fireball. I tried it and yes indeedy. You have to crank the seater adjustment nearly all the way down, but it does work on that short little guy. You are nearly out of adjustment on the bottom end, but I can get all my bullets seated to my chosen seating depth.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:59 PM

Default RCBS Competition Seater

Ok, now you made me leave my comfortable recliner and trudge 50 feet through snow (light snow!) to my office / playroom located in the garage to see what mine looks like.

Maybe I answered the wrong question but MY competition seaters did not come with any shellholder. I have a set for the 222 Rem that came in a fitted wooden box and there is no compartment and no room in this box for a shellholder. With that said, I do have to use an extended shellholder for several of the seaters but I purchased those separately.

I know RCBS made several variations in these seaters because I have had at least two units that used different methods to maintain the setting. I think that RCBS used one basic body with different sliding sleeves and bullet stems to accomodate various cartridges. I have purchased parts from RCBS to convert these for use on various cartridges. It is also possible that RCBS sold sets with different contents at various times. I have some with fitted wooden cases, some with green plastic boxes and some with grey plastic boxes.

Bottom line is that if you are using these seater dies you will likely need to purchase an extended shellholder for use with shorter cartridges if one is NOT included.

Gary