Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Big Game

Old 10-04-2017, 01:13 AM

Default 6.5 GRENDEL vs 6.8 REM SPC

Looking for a midrange (200-400yd) to acquire, and I have read all about the 6.5 GREN, but looking at the data it seems the 6.8SPC is very similar, anyone wanting to chime in with 2cents..........

Platform would probably be a CZ527 for either Coyotes, PD's and paper mainly......

Don
Old 10-04-2017, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmntr View Post
Looking for a midrange (200-400yd) to acquire, and I have read all about the 6.5 GREN, but looking at the data it seems the 6.8SPC is very similar, anyone wanting to chime in with 2cents..........

Platform would probably be a CZ527 for either Coyotes, PD's and paper mainly......

Don
It may be similar at the muzzle, but I think the Grendel does better downrange. My CZ527 Grendel really likes the 129 gr. Nosler LRAB bullet pushed by 31.0 gr. of CFE223 at ~2500 fps.

John
Old 10-04-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
It may be similar at the muzzle, but I think the Grendel does better downrange. My CZ527 Grendel really likes the 129 gr. Nosler LRAB bullet pushed by 31.0 gr. of CFE223 at ~2500 fps.

John
Why? Why better down range? Subjective or objective?
Old 10-04-2017, 02:01 PM

Okay, I see what you mean.

http://abesguncave.com/6-5-grendel-v...t-perspective/
Old 10-04-2017, 02:42 PM

Thumbs up mucho-gracias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
Douglas,

Thank you for posting this.
While it really highlights my question at the 200-500yds ranges, it does solve the question the same way that the 223 or 9mm solves the questions in their related genre's --
POPULARITY = LOWER COST !!
THE GRENDEL IS MORE POPULAR AND LESS EXPENSIVE FOR THE SAME PERFORMANCE Oh, and YES, it also drifts a little less as well.

Too many choices, to little $$$$$

John,

Thanks also for your loading info--- I am probably going with the 527 6.5 GRENDEL - What I am surprised about is that CZ is not offering this in their Varmint barrel seems it would be more stable and cooler........ I guess it means another new barrel !!!!!

Thanks again

Don

Last edited by varmntr; 10-04-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:07 PM

I am currently in Alberta Moose hunting, see my report here.

One of the other hunters was hunting with a 6.5 Creedmore on Remington 700 Action. He did not get a moose. I definitely would have like to see how it performed on that animal.

By subjective comparison only, I saw how my 338/06 IMP with a Sierra 250 Game King at 2950 fps with Lake City ball cases performed on a moose. I have shot a lot of deer and an Elk with it. I would not consider any 6.5 or 6.8 for moose.

Yes, I know the Swedes love there 6.5 for moose.

The 6.5's and the 6.8 are good deer cartridges. I have just ordered a new Stag Arms 6.8 SPC bull barrel upper that I intend to set up for Coyotes.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:50 PM

Doug,

Did read your "Alberta..." thread and a big CONGRATULATIONS !!

Any insight on your decision for the 6.8SPC vs the Grendel ??

Don
Old 12-23-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmntr View Post
Doug,

Did read your "Alberta..." thread and a big CONGRATULATIONS !!

Any insight on your decision for the 6.8SPC vs the Grendel ??

Don
Sorry Don, missed this earlier.

To answer your Question.

I have a friend who does animal damage control work. I have know him for 30 years. He is an incredible shooter and gunsmith. If you were shooting pistol silhouettes back in the 80's in the upper classes, he would be t he guy you had to beat. He acquired a 6.8 SPC and uses it with a Barnes 85gr TSX bullet. It is very accurate and kills large canines depredating cattle quite well. It is his primary gun.

While I was in Afghanistan based onmy friends experience, I bought Rock River Arsenal 6.8 SPC Upper in a military configuration. I really wanted a bull barrel, but no one was offering one. I also bought dies, brass, bullets and magazines.

When I got home I changed out the upper from a standard Flat top, to a Rock River AOP. After that, the gun just sat in the safe. i have never fired the gun. I just didn't like that military barrel. So I put the whole gun up for sale.

I still wanted an AR in the caliber range and kept my ear to the ground. Then Varmntr made this post and I chimed in. You see Stag Arms had sent me some spam saying they were taking orders for Stainless bull barrels in 6.8 SPC and I had my name on the list. I wanted to make sure I wasn't making a mistake twice and need to cancel my order.

I read that article. I looked at my 6.8 bullet supply, 6.8 brass supply and 6.8 magazine inventory. Weighed that against the details in the article and called the gunshop and said, 'pull my AR, not selling".

The bull barrel came and it is what I am looking for. I will sell the RRA 6.8 SPC upper-anybody want it? This spring I will start working on loads for the Stag Arms Upper.

For Montana it will become my truck gun when Gopher hunting, used when I encounter larger varmints. It should work also as a deer stand gun, when i have to learn how to sit in trees and hunt, after my move next year to Oklahoma. Should work just fine for that.

Just for the record, for t hose who know me, I still think a Martini is a better gun than any Matty Mattel in any configuration, ever.

Again, my apologies Don for missing your post earlier.
Old 12-25-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
Why? Why better down range? Subjective or objective?
For me it has always come down to wind drift at distance, therefore the 6.5G.

Or in my case, 6mmFatRat. My load is 95SMK/pointed/.5BC, going 2870 fps in a 22" 8 twist. You'd have to see how well it does, almost a 243Win in the wind. Recoil and rifle movement isn't much more than a 223 as well.

With a 6mmART40 which is very similar to the FatRat, I won a long range night match shooting against bolt rifles in the better long range bolt rifle calibers. That shows the capabilities of this small cartridge case.

Last edited by steve123; 12-25-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

double d don't let the size of the barrel throw you. I have a 6.8 spc II with a fn barrel, it is not a varmint weight. it shoots most everything under .5" including 95 ttsx Barnes bullets.
I thought cz produced some of the 6.5 grendells in the 527