Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-04-2020, 12:43 AM

Default 6mm ARC

I am sure some/ most have seen but for those that like, and not scared of the AR's it looks like Hornady changed the shoulder angles on the 6PPC to reliably feed out of an AR. It would also be sweet in a Howa mini. 2750 fro, a 103 grain eldm bullet. It would be interesting to see what a 70-80 grain bullet would do.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:19 AM

Standardizing the 6mm Grendel /6mmAR from a wildcat to something that might become SAMI. Not a terrible idea... just enough case change to warrant a new name by Hornady.

I hope they do a better job then big green on rolling out new caliber with adequate ammo available on store shelf.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:48 AM

Looks good to me. I like the idea of the Howa Mini rifle.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:54 AM

I'd consider one for my Howa mini for sure. Have to wait to see when I can get a barrel ordered, but there's a good chance I'll end up with one.
Old 06-04-2020, 05:06 PM

It's the new army calibre.

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editoria...6mm-arc/376852
Old 06-04-2020, 07:15 PM

Big Whoop...
The 6mmAR has been around shortly after the 6.5 Grendel brass became available. All they did was push the shoulder back and change the angle slightly.
Talk to anyone that shoots an AR based Grendel and they will tell you that feeding is not an issue.

I'm thinking that the real issue might be that Arnie tried to sell the military on the 6.5 Grendel before they selected the 6.8 SPC (sigh).
Perhaps they had to change things up enough to provide a modest amount of cover for the plagiarism.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
Big Whoop...
The 6mmAR has been around shortly after the 6.5 Grendel brass became available. All they did was push the shoulder back and change the angle slightly.
Talk to anyone that shoots an AR based Grendel and they will tell you that feeding is not an issue.

I'm thinking that the real issue might be that Arnie tried to sell the military on the 6.5 Grendel before they selected the 6.8 SPC (sigh).
Perhaps they had to change things up enough to provide a modest amount of cover for the plagiarism.
Probably what Schmidt Ruben and Mauser said about the .30-06

Last edited by moorepower; 06-04-2020 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:43 AM

Default 6mm ARC aka 6mmAR

Hornady should give Robert Whitley some kind of credit for the 6mm ARC. He is the originator of the 6mmAR cartridge. I own a 6mmAR AR-15 and it is great cartridge. His website is: 6mmAR.com
Old 06-05-2020, 01:06 PM

Few if any have been given credit where credit is do on cartridge design and work.
Ackley has been abused and insulted IMHO.
Rick Jameson got beat out and blackballed over his work. Glad to see he is back writing some again.
JD came up with a few, but majority were knock offs of PO’s stuff using rimmed cases.
The 280AI once SAMMI spec’d is not as big of a gain. Guys were going by guess and by golly on pressures.

As most here know, when new brass shows up there are hundreds if not thousand working on a new better wildcat.

What chaps most of us I think is when they change the shoulder angle by 1/2 of a degree and shorten or lengthen the neck by .0100 and deem they have come up with the new best what ever.

Guys knock the 22 Nosler. I am going to give it a try in the Howa mini. No muss no fuss on bolt face diameter and it looks like it will feed using my 6.5 Gendel magazine. Folks pooh pooh the rebated rim, the 284 had no love for a long time, now it is more accepted than ever. The 6.5-284 may well be the reason for the enormous amount of interest in the 6.5’s today.

Look back to the late 70’s and 80’s, if you asked about a 6.5 anything in most GS’s they would think you liked unicorns and rainbows.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
Big Whoop...

During the height of debate of which caliber after introduction of 6.8SPC, I bumped into Arnie at our local range while he was developing a new cartridge designed for hog hunting. I took the opportunity to ask him about fate of 300BO, 6.5 Grendel, and 6.8 SPC for military selection. At that time based on his ongoing discussions with special operations group, the military was interested in something different...not 6.5 Grendel or 6.8SPC. He felt that it would probabky end up with something with ballistics of a 7mm bullet. That was 8-10 years ago... Needs and uses change and technology opens up new options in existing calibers.

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 06-05-2020 at 03:00 PM.