Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-17-2022, 11:10 PM

Default Rimfire chambering problems

This was an estate purchase. Owner was a national champion early 2000s iirc. He called this 001xx Swindlehurst rig "Spanky".....
I was going to shoot a fun match, so grabbed some Lap Red Box, Eley Black and Rem Green w Eley on label .
NONE would chamber. Best l can guess is maybe 2.5mm worth would start but absolutely would go no further.
I asked a few rf shooters at the mixed match and one had an idea.
I will never compete even semi seriously w it. Selling is an option awa altering to shoot reasonable quality ammo.
Solutions are solicited.
Old 05-17-2022, 11:24 PM
Supporting Member

Why not rechamber. You have a good action and more than likely a very good barrel. The gunsmith's name might be on the barrel, talk to him. Lots of reamer designs out there that will work for what you want.
Old 05-18-2022, 12:10 AM

I would have to agree with Ray on this. It sounds like opening up the throat a bit will get it ready to shoot.
Old 05-18-2022, 02:12 AM

What did he shoot in it if he was a national champion? Unless he made his own ammo, my guess, he bought ammo from a mfg. for it. I have not run into it but I have read that some competition guys have chambers cut for certain brands of ammo, ELY, Lapua, et. Again if he was a national shooter someone should remember the rifle and shooter and be able to get you the information you seek.
Try rimefire central or accurate shooter.

JDM
Old 05-18-2022, 03:02 AM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy

If the barrel is high round count try to get a closer look at the breech face of the barrel, specifically look near the spot where the firing pin impacts the rim. There may be a chamber burr from impact damage. If you find a burr just file or stone it down.

In our country the lie has become not just a moral category but a pillar of the State. -- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Old 05-18-2022, 03:48 AM

Thanks to all.
There was some Midas in the gun case.
RareBear, you just might be on to something. I had to break the chamber edge on my S&W Model 41 .22 to get it to stop alibying.
I will run a cotton swab around it. His son was not the brightest bulb.....he may have dry fired it... :/
If I do go with removing a few tenths or so from chamber wall, would renting a hand reamer be a possibility? Which design?...I've read of a Bentz but have no idea what that designates.
Old 05-26-2022, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAJ45 View Post
This was an estate purchase. Owner was a national champion early 2000s iirc. He called this 001xx Swindlehurst rig "Spanky".....
I was going to shoot a fun match, so grabbed some Lap Red Box, Eley Black and Rem Green w Eley on label .
NONE would chamber. Best l can guess is maybe 2.5mm worth would start but absolutely would go no further.
I asked a few rf shooters at the mixed match and one had an idea.
I will never compete even semi seriously w it. Selling is an option awa altering to shoot reasonable quality ammo.
Solutions are solicited.
Virtually all real 22RF 'match' and BR chambers force the driving band of bullet into the rifling when the bolt is closed.....they don't just 'plunk' into the chamber like a normal 22LR does.

The amount of rifling engagement differs as these specialized chambers are done for specific ammo. That's where swapping ammo back and forth in chambers on real-deal 22LR target rifles can at times pose a problem.

It's probable that there's nothing whatsoever 'wrong' with the chamber. Be aware that these target chambers may require the occasional use of a toothed little tool to remove the carbon and leading in the throat with "may" being the important word, here.

Inspecting the chamber/throat with a borescope and identifying and correcting any cleaning-related issues is the first thing to do. If you have any questions, get the gun into the hands of someone that knows RF target chambers and builds these guns to help you out.

These guns are specific and extremely specialized. Leave any nail setters, punches, hammers, trowels, etc. in the toolbox....

This chart shows just a few of the different reamers that PTG has for specific ammo. There are many, many more variations! You can easily see the significant differences that can give issues when mixing different ammo and chambers:

Good shootin' -Al

Last edited by Al Nyhus; 05-26-2022 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-26-2022, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
Virtually all real 22RF 'match' and BR chambers force the driving band of bullet into the rifling when the bolt is closed.....they don't just 'plunk' into the chamber like a normal 22LR does.

The amount of rifling engagement differs as these specialized chambers are done for specific ammo. That's where swapping ammo back and forth in chambers on real-deal 22LR target rifles can at times pose a problem.

It's probable that there's nothing whatsoever 'wrong' with the chamber. Be aware that these target chambers may require the occasional use of a toothed little tool to remove the carbon and leading in the throat with "may" being the important word, here.

Inspecting the chamber/throat with a borescope and identifying and correcting any cleaning-related issues is the first thing to do. If you have any questions, get the gun into the hands of someone that knows RF target chambers and builds these guns to help you out.

These guns are specific and extremely specialized. Leave any nail setters, punches, hammers, trowels, etc. in the toolbox....

This chart shows just a few of the different reamers that PTG has for specific ammo. There are many, many more variations! You can easily see the significant differences that can give issues when mixing different ammo and chambers:

Good shootin' -Al
Al, with all due respect… I know you’re an informed guy but, some facts.
Those little toothed cutters made by Frank Tirrell never worked even back 20 years when he sold them and nobody really ever used them. You want a couple never used ones I’ll send’em to you.Don’t need them anyway since C4 will take that ring out with a 15 minute soak and zero brushing in the throat.
Lastly, several BR smiths don’t chamber to engrave but bump the drive band or minimally engrave, but a long ignored carbon ring is easilly attended to these days. Also, lots of top flight smiths don’t chamber to a set depth, based on several factors including barrel configuration, the black art of RFBR gunsmithing.
Finally, the Lapua only, or ELEY only chambers are largely a myth, while some smiths do make chamber adjustments, most of the active top flight shooters laying down big target numbers, now shooting Lapua, are doing so with guns that were previously only shooting ELEY. The exceptions to this might be for guys shooting real short or long(ish) chambers in MI barrels. There is a pretty good OAL variance between lots of top flight ammo….sometimes over .010” This is pretty much why a certain “ self important” Kentucky RFBR smith used to endlessly drone on for ELEY to publish OAL data with their lot info.

Last edited by tim simbari; 05-26-2022 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-26-2022, 08:08 PM

Another thought to maybe consider. So, in the past, with rifles with chambers like this, shot a lot of 22 rf Shorts and this caused lead buildup and carbon forward of the case, which left a ring that would stop the proper rim fire case to fully chamber.
So maybe as mentioned, by some, a very good cleaning of that chamber will cure your issue and save you some pocket money.
Old 05-26-2022, 08:40 PM

tim simbari: Thanks for the update on what's currently being done...appreciate it. Given the age of the gun, it would be interesting to see how the chamber compares to modern practices.

Good shootin' -Al