Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2014, 06:14 PM

Default OT.........Cougar Roast

Anyone here ever cook a Cougar roast? Larry
Old 08-21-2014, 06:37 PM

Never done it personally but my dentist has. He's really involved with the game fish and parks here and teaches a wild game cooking class for them. Last I spoke to him he was preparing for the class and told me they were going to be making a mtn lion dish. I had always heard that you were not supposed to eat them. He had heard the same thing, but neither off us knew if there was any validity to that or if was just and old wives tale. At any rate they did it. I kind of wish I would have participated so I could have tried some. We have a lot of cats here in the black hills so he thought it would be fun to give it a try.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:19 PM
Supporting Member

Bobcat is delicious. It's not like any other meat I've had, I would imagine it's a similar meat.

Adam
Old 08-21-2014, 09:12 PM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Never tried cat or dog yet, may never.
I did shoot a swimming young beaver yrs ago. Tried a head shot but it hit mid shoulders. All that was left was the hams n tail. We tossed the tail.
The roasts were mighty fine eating the way the old rancher fixed it.
Just spiced it up good and baked in the woodstove oven til done. Just a touch greasy though but, not bad and good flavor. He also claimed woodchuck was good eats too. Never got a shot at any so didn't get to try that.

One of my favorite wild meat is rattlesnake, best fried chicken I've ever had.
Sorry Larry, just had to do it!

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 08-21-2014, 10:06 PM

I will let you know how it turns out, I am thinking I will do it up like a pot roast in a Dutch Oven on top of the stove. I have also had Rattlesnanke, and, you are right, it is good. I just took out the two long mussels on either side of the backbone, they were about as big as your finger but 3 ft long. cut them into 2 inch pieces, breaded them and fried them up, no one knew what they were eating. Larry
Old 08-21-2014, 10:15 PM

Years ago I had a buddy out hunting coyotes bagged a large female mountain lion. Had it made into a nice rug and one day I drop by and he had just finished BBQ ing up some chops from the mountain lion. I had to try it and found it to be a lot like pork, dense and white when cooked, but had more flavor than pork. Not really a bad gamey taste just a stronger flavor. I liked it a lot and would eat it again if I had the chance.

Neal in AZ
Old 08-22-2014, 12:23 AM

Cougar is a favorite meat of the mountain men and many that follow their lifestyle. Dog is not bad either. I would bake it as a roast and make sure that it gets to an internal temperature of better than 165 F. Should be very good if the meat was taken care off. Raccoon, muskrat, rockchuck are all good.

One summer while I was finishing my 5th year certification, we found that college fees had taken most of the family funds. We had a good garden but meat was a problem. Pondering on the problem, I knew where there was an old hay pasture with two sides made up of rimrock and road shoulder. I took a cooler full of ice, a couple boxes of 22lr and a 10/22 and went out there. As soon as I shot a rockchuck, I would skin and clean it and toss it in the cooler. Most were pups and I tried to make only head shots so little meat was lost. This was not long distance shooting, but sneak and peak. I came home with enough that after pressure cooking all of them and pealing the meat off the bones we had about 40 pounds of meat that the family lived on while I was away to summer school. The boys never gave it a thought and they often talk about how good Mom's Rockchuck Pot pies where.

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 08-22-2014, 12:57 AM
Supporting Member

We ate Groundhogs that Dad(lived through the Great Depression) would shoot. Swore to him that when I got a job I was never eating another! Left 121 so far this Season for the Buzzards and lone Bald Eagle!
Old 08-22-2014, 03:10 AM

Default Bobcat

Adam,
You can't honestly say it's like nothing else,you have been overseas right?

-Darrell

Last edited by fotohunt; 08-22-2014 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Deleted due to my own bad taste
Old 08-22-2014, 03:33 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Rattler I ate was killed just before heading home from the range. had a guy on a mower come by to tell us: "There's a big rattler on that mound"
After John shot it several times with birdshot n never hit the head. I cut the head and tail off. Thought since I had an empty cooler and ice packs this would be the time to try it.
Sucker measured 54" with what was left. I'd cut about 4" off the head and maybe 3" off the tail so it was a full 5' long live.
Biggest I've seen around these parts. A full 2" dia. Well fed.
Just skinned n gutted it and cut in two inch pcs, stacked in the fridge to drain over night. Breaded n boiled in the French fryer. Big platter piled clear to a pyramid. had started with fresh oil.

Funny thing about women!! Soon as the oil cooled enough to handle wife took it out and dumped it!! Like a pig I ate every piece of it in one sitting.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"