Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-14-2021, 04:14 PM

New ammo or new unfired brass will definitely headspace off of the rim in a CZ 527 17 Hornet for the first firing. The chambers in these CZ 527's are long so don't be surprised when you measure your fired brass and the shoulder has stretched forward 10-12 thou.

Once fired, whether it headspaces off of the rim or the shoulder will depend on how size your brass. I have two CZ 527 17HH and neck size with a Redding bushing neck size only die until my brass has reached a point the bolt won't close, without extreme force, then I push the shoulder back only 1-2 thou.

Regular FL sizing of this 17HH brass or trying to neck size only with a FL die will result in shortened brass life and premature case separation.

Also, don't be shocked when after the first firing some or maybe even all of your brass comes out with a funny looking section just above the rim. It's often referred to as a bulged section but it is actually just the opposite and is a section that has thinned, because the chambers are so long and the brass stretches forward so much, then bumps back up to the diameter it should be.

It's normal for chambers to often be fat or longer than SAMMI spec, particularly in factory chambered guns, but they seemed to have taken things to the extreme with these 17 Hornets. Just out of curiosity I sent one of my CZ 527 17HH rifles to Kevin Weaver and had him set the barrel back and rechamber it with his spec. 17HH reamer when it was brand new right out of the box. I was curious to see if it would change how factory ammo shot since I had my factory untouched CZ 17HH to compare it with. Results were both, what I expected and not really what I was expecting. I expected the brass from the tighter chamber to not fit in the factory untouched one but for some reason I thought it would shoot just a bit better and surprisingly it did not. Kind of a non issue since they both shoot very acceptable with factory ammo and better yet with hand loads.
Old 03-14-2021, 05:26 PM

Another thing to do to get more use from your hornet brass, is anneal it often.
Old 03-14-2021, 05:52 PM
Supporting Member

I'm like a previous poster. Long ago I stopped playing with the factory brass and have made it from good 22 Hornet cases. Mostly Prvi.....

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 03-14-2021, 05:58 PM

I don't see my 17HH being a real long range gun and out to the distances I use them for the mediocre Hornady brass suffices well enough and already having a couple thousand pieces of this stuff even if Lapua started making 17HH brass I wouldn't be switching.
Old 03-14-2021, 08:23 PM

Default primer seating

Very early on, hornady staked primer pockets on the factory 17 hornet cartridge.
I do not believe there were many lots produced. I had the issue many years ago. If you visually inspect fired cases that will not seat with those that will, you will see the difference in the rim of the primer pocket.
Have many loads on hornady brass. Great prairie dog cartridge
Sure wish Lee made a collet die.
Old 03-14-2021, 11:14 PM
Supporting Member

I truly doubt that not too many more than maybe 1 in 100 folks would consider the 17 HH to be a long range cartridge.

That said, the 17 HH brass that I acquired early on was mostly junk after the initial firing from what I saw.

To each their own, and YMMV.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 03-14-2021, 11:45 PM

Since I am a way too old guy and don't know all the Politically correct terms, what is ymmv mean ?
Old 03-14-2021, 11:56 PM

Your mileage may vary, like the EPA ratings for gas mileage.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:21 AM

Thank you. I guess when you are old and don't text, etc. you just don't know the language.
Old 03-15-2021, 01:27 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghunter12 View Post
Very early on, hornady staked primer pockets on the factory 17 hornet cartridge.
I do not believe there were many lots produced. I had the issue many years ago. If you visually inspect fired cases that will not seat with those that will, you will see the difference in the rim of the primer pocket.
Have many loads on hornady brass. Great prairie dog cartridge
Sure wish Lee made a collet die.
I was thinking about this too. It seems the lot numbers were posted somewhere. Anybody have that info?

Also that Hornady was swapping out that specific ammo?

....ZBROJOVKA.......BRNO